PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass Questions!

dadstinny
02-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Okay, I am new to the fiberglass world and had some questions!!! Done a bit of a dig but couldn't really find what I was after....

My boat is a yalta craft 4.7m half cab.

1) I am putting a battery box under the splash well and a mount for a strap to hold the fuel tank in place what is the best procedure to drill into the floor safely and securely? Do I need to drill a larger hole, fill with epoxy then screw my self tapping screws into the epoxy? Also is there anything I need to be careful of drilling into the floor?

2) I want to clean the fiberglass as it is pretty dirty on top. Is there anything I can clean it with like jiff or similar to get rid of marks etc and give it a bit of a spruce up? I did read a thread on overhauling it but I don't want to go that far just clean it up and remove some marks.

Any help appreciated!

mal555
04-12-2011, 12:00 PM
You will only need to epoxy a larger hole if you are drilling into a GRP/timber composite, as opposed to solid GRP, but be careful drilling and securing fastenings directly down towards the keel area, especially towards the sides, so you don't mis-judge distances and go through the bottom (happens more than you might think!)

Many stains can be simply "bleached" from gelcoat with either K&H Gelcoat Restorer or a suitable mix of Oxalyic Acid. Don't use abrasives unless every other option has been examined.
Gelcoat is quite porous and waterline stains are common. The acids in the two products above will sort out "absorbed" staining, but oil and grease residue will have to be cleaned off the surface with a truck wash type product first.