PDA

View Full Version : Navigating from hope island to broadwater

lampuki
02-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Hi all.

Looking at some advice regarding the quickest/best way to navigate to the broad water from hope island. Vessel is smaller than 8 mtrs.

Considering the speed zones around sanctuary cove etc, is it quicker to take the northern arm of the coomera and then head south to the seaway, or is it quicker to go round sanctuary cove.

I dont think i will have access to the hope island channel.

Advice is appreciated :)

Chimo
02-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Where on the Broadwater are you heading?

If your going north eg to the Pin etc then definitely the nth Arm would be the quickest.

If your heading south, how far south/ It may be just as easy to cruise down the river or if your heading to palmy reef maybe leave it on the trailer and launch closer.

If you have a safe place to leave your car and trailer ie you can go all the way by water you do avoid the nagging question ie Have i still got a trailer and car !

Cheers
Chimo

lampuki
02-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Hey Chimo.

Thanks for your post.

Over christmas/new years i might be in a house with a mooring. If weather permits, ill head offshore through the seway, hopefully several times.....

I was just wondering if, fuel consumption wasnt a concern, is it quicker to go round the northern arm to avoid the speed restrictions. Its not a biggy either way, but some advice from someone who has done it before is always helpful.

Chimo
02-12-2011, 05:20 PM
Hi lampuki

Load up google earth ie Hope Island to the Seaway and then have a look. The other issue to consider is that even though you supposedly avoid speed restrictions on the Nth Arm you need to consider the time of year and the other boats inc house boats that are sure to be along that waterway at that time of year. You will need to lucky to get a clear run thru there at speed so probably best to not count on being able to go very hard.

Also around Xmas New Year is a lot like Easter which means there will be many many boats on all GC waterways and many of us who have a choice, choose to keep out of the rat race.

Mind you thats just a GOM who likes boring boating trips without dramas, thinking aloud.

Cheers
Chimo

lampuki
02-12-2011, 05:43 PM
I definitley agree, I would prefer to avoid dramas. I wouldnt be belting around the river..but would be going a lot faster than 6 knots, and hence my question.

I mapped out both routes via google earth, and to my surpruse, there is actually not too much difference in distance - and on that basis, I would think the northern arm to be the best route, but I would still be interested to hear from anyone who does that commute.

Thanks as always.

shanew
05-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Here's an idea - go out one way and back the other and time it to/from out front of Sovreign Islands.

wayno60
05-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Are we looking at the same map??
From Sanc cove id go the south arm, it is shorter but either way at that time of the year there'll be house boats, day trippers, fisho's, big boats, little boats, sailing boats it'll be like the M1 either way.

lampuki
05-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Yeah, it is going to be busy.

I think the southern arm was shorter by 5km? At work at the moment and firewall blocks google earth, so i cant double check......

anyways, thanks for the feedback.....

I will see how it goes.

tidemaster
05-12-2011, 02:15 PM
I used to keep my boat at Coomera Waters. I ALWAYS went the north arm as I could go flat out the whole way. The police often sit in the southern arm just near Jabiru island and I got pulled over most times for a chat, despite the fact I knew I was under the 6 knot limit. Never got booked though.

The north arm isnt that bad, but is not lit, and can be a little tricky of a night if you dont know it. For the record, It is a lot shorter to go the south arm over the north arm, but at 30 knots on the north arm, versus 6 knots on the south arm, the North arm is way faster.

fishfeeder
05-12-2011, 03:07 PM
What I have noticed is over Christmas the crowds only really come out after 8.00am. So if your heading offshore then you will only have to worry about the crowds on the way back... So go the North arm in the morning and keep a good eye open and you will be fine.

Cheers
Brett

lampuki
05-12-2011, 07:18 PM
just double checked......its ~ 10 vs 7 km.....

Thanks again for the advice....I think i will go northern arm but i will be taking it easy.

Thanks again.