PDA

View Full Version : Old bloke thrown out of his boat at Hervey Bay

flatzie
02-12-2011, 06:31 AM
Left the Urangan Marina at 4.30 am yesterday, got about half a km out and someone is waving wildly at me from a big tinny. I shot over and the old lady is desperately trying to get her husband back into the boat after they hit something at speed and the collision was so violent he is thrown into the water.

This poor old bloke is about 70 odd, quite a big bloke, he has a hip replacement, so couldnt manouvre or climb, and was completely exhausted trying to get back into his boat.
We got my boat along side and mine has a step on the back, so after a lot of effort I slowly got him up into my boat, and then across to his.

His hand was badly gashed and bleeding which was worry with the blood going into the water as well... a very nasty situation indeed.
I got him to raise his motor, one blade of the prop was torn off, and the others pretty mangled, cant imagine what he hit...a big turtle maybe, submerged log.
Just glad I arrived in time, but it sure made me think hard about wearing a lifejacket while in transit!

Boating is fraught with danger, and it just shows that we have to be constantly alert, maintain our boat and gear well, never take chances with the weather etc. as even on a calm morning, and all of the above ok, things can still go wrong in a second.

Safe boating everyone
Flatzie

mull dog
02-12-2011, 06:41 AM
Also a big reminder to wear your safety kill switch lanyard especially when traveling in a tinny. Could have been a lot worse. Good work to you Flatzie!

nigelr
02-12-2011, 07:27 AM
Good on you flatzie, you may well have saved a life or even two right there.
Respect to you, sir!

Lucky_Phill
02-12-2011, 08:20 AM
Nice report and work Flatzie.

Good advice there as well.

You are right, the situation could have become a lot worse.

LP

Funchy
02-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Well done mate. A very lucky couple by the sound of it. I agree with you on considering the use of life jacket whilst in transit.

Axl
02-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Well done flatzie top effort mate!!!!!!

hungry6
02-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Jesus, that is an eye open, and my hat of to you for seeing and rescuing the elderly couple.
But saying that it always irks me to see people flying around full tilt because they can. Just because you doesnt you should at every chance.

flatzie
02-12-2011, 04:59 PM
Hungry, they were up on the plane with a 30 horse motor, in open calm water, I wouldnt say thats flying around at full tilt. Any boat that size in the same situation would have taken a nasty jolt.
My point is that these things can happen, its rare, but anyone could hit a submerged turtle, log etc. so we need to be ready for worst case scenarios. There are times tho that some do speed unnecessarily.
Cheers
Flatzie

randell
02-12-2011, 09:15 PM
I remember my dads 20 HP Merc had a option to lock in down position. But why would you want to have that option anyway? I guess they designed for a reason....
Anyone remember them?
randell

Muddy Toes
02-12-2011, 09:25 PM
I remember my dads 20 HP Merc had a option to lock in down position. But why would you want to have that option anyway? I guess they designed for a reason....
Anyone remember them?
randell
It lets you give it a bit of stick in reverse if needed when maneuvering in tight places without the motor kicking up.

honda900
02-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Flatzie,

Lucky you found them and it all turned out Ok... your right stuff can bu submerged and dont even see it..

Regards
Honda

wamjam
03-12-2011, 07:17 AM
Well done flatzie. I bet the elderly couple were glad to see you come along. I hope they get back on the horse and keep on boating, fishing.

Scott

nautimax
03-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Well done mate! I am always on edge when motoring on the water - submerged hazards!! We have some controls to manage them but the thing is, we almost always will be caught by surprise when it happens...hope the gentleman recovers and not put off by this incident.