PDA

View Full Version : Sounder Combo problems

Benny1
01-12-2011, 10:34 AM
Hi, has anyone one encountered a problem with there combo units when starting the engine shuts down the unit. If drifting, all is good, start the engine to do another run and the unit goes off and needs to start up again. I'm running a Raymarine A57D. It only started doing it the last 2 trips. All connections look good to me. Thanks

Pazz01
01-12-2011, 12:04 PM
I've been told it is a power surge. Apparently you are meant to shut them down when you turn the motor off as on start up there can be a surge. Ours does it too. I'm no expert tho, just what I was told by the guys at the electronics store.

Someone might know if you can get a surge protector or something?

Pazz

Fed
01-12-2011, 12:13 PM
It's caused by a drop in voltage Paz probably at the battery terminals as that's the only part of the electrical system that should be common to both the starter motor and the fishfinder.
That drop in voltage will either be the terminal connections or the battery itself.
There's also a very slight change that the starter motor is dragging and pulling the battery voltage down.
Grab a voltmeter Benny.

fishing111
01-12-2011, 01:01 PM
I've got the A50D and it does it also.Total pain in the arse.If i change the batteries to run both it doesn't happen, although there is nothing wrong with either battery.I have been told that they are very sensitive to voltage drop.Raymarine will not be on my shopping list next time.

stue2
01-12-2011, 01:06 PM
had a similar experience some time ago. I replaced the battery, the battery box and the terminals and it sorted it out for a while. My old boat was wet so I ended up doing a cleanup job on the terminals fairly often.
Solved the problem completely when i sold the boat.

Cheers, Stu

chris69
01-12-2011, 01:31 PM
I had the same problem with my A65, the fix is to upgrade your battery to a higher cca i went from 490cca to 720cca,i went a quality seamaster battery from a supercharge NS70 and not a problem since , the A65 draws 8to10 watts and you can turn down your screen brightness to 65to70% and use the white pallet screen this helps, its always on 100% brightness when you turn it on and this does not help,you are running a lcd screen and a gps in the combo and as others have said clean connections do play a part,my old lowrance only used 1.5amps so it was never a problem until i upgraded ,hope this helps.

nigelr
01-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Just use a stand-alone battery for powering your sounder.

Malcolm W
01-12-2011, 04:17 PM
As per other posts above, I had the same problem until I bought 2 new batteries. Have had no problems for 2-3 years.

mowerman
01-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Just use a stand-alone battery for powering your sounder.

This one.

I have 1 battery for motor and auto bilge pump.
2nd battery runs all other electrics.
Also a set of jumper cables if needed.

Rod

rowanda
01-12-2011, 07:25 PM
clean or replace your terminals, I have a Furuno 585 and a Hummingbird combo unit, both units used to do it on 1 battery, run off the other batter or both and all good...replaced the terminals on battery 1 and did up nice and tight and doesn't do it anymore

whiteman
02-12-2011, 11:43 AM
It is a good indicator your battery may be on the way out. Common problem as shown from posts above.

Jarrah Jack
02-12-2011, 12:06 PM
I've got an eagle combo and a few mates had the same. I've always turned mine off while starting to avoid the spike. Both mates didn't bother and their units are stuffed while mine is still going well.
All boats were single battery jobs.

Benny1
03-12-2011, 09:09 AM
Thanks guys, I have 2 good big batteries with isolator, will look harder at the terminals. If it keeps up may use it to illegally start my own artificial reef.

honda900
03-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Benny1,

I have just been the same on my boat, replaced battery, replaced all the battery leads, ran new cable to the front of the boat, replaced the battery switch, installed a VSR, all without success, in the end it was the one peice I had not replaced, the $3.00 main fuse and holder. since I replaced that all fixed, I can only assume there was some corrosion in the cable.

Regards
Honda

stue2
03-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Funny how it works. Spent $100 trying to fix the clothes dryer once. Chap said he couldn't find the trouble and sent in home. I carried it in side and for some strange reason I had it up side down and a lid off a can of cat food fell out of the air intake at the back. been running sweet ever since.

Cheers, Stu

Floating Rib
03-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Hi Benny, my A70 does the same thing and i have pretty new big batteries, one thing i havent done is fit the ignition isolator lead from the VSR to the ignition switch, guessing this will help and will have to get off my butt and do it. Does your VSR have an output for ignition isloation?

Benny1
06-12-2011, 11:36 AM
Filed all the fittings and put it all back together, works perfect. Thanks

stue2
06-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Filed all the fittings and put it all back together, works perfect. Thanks

Good to know Benny, Glad its sorted.

Cheers Stu

Fed
06-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Now pull it apart again Benny, put some vasoline on all the bits and get rid of those wingnuts.