PDA

View Full Version : Set Lines - Rules and Regulations

pipifin
01-12-2011, 10:19 AM
I was asked the other day by a kiwi mate why no one uses kontikis in Australia. Just in case a few dont know what a kontiki is, Its a way of using a set line from the shore. Usually the line is taken offshore by the wind, be it by balloon, little makeshift outrigger sailboats, plastic rubbish bags etc. (even motorised ones now for those days an onshore is blowing) kites can also be used to the same effect. Usually one line is tied to the craft and the set line connected to the craft separately. When I was a young fella, they used to tie the set line around a Barley sugar lolly and once it had dissolved, the set line would be released and would drop to deeper water.... by then it would be about 500 mtr offshore. As the line was taken out, a baited trace would be clipped on to the set line, in the same manner as offshore.
When he asked the question my initial response was that it would be against regulations due to the number of hooks on one line ie: up to three fishing lines with up to six hooks in total.
When I consulted the dpi website, I found that this is the case for "Fishing Lines" but then goes on to say:

A fishing line does not include the following:

a bottom set line
a drop line
a drum line
a free floating line
a set line.

Does this mean that you are indeed allowed to use all of the above, or none of the above. I could not find any further information on set lines or the like on the DPI site.

Just a curiosity thing really. It seems a grey area... any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

BGG
01-12-2011, 10:24 AM
I think the give away is the not "
A fishing line does not include the following:" They are not considered to be legitimate fishing lines.

choppa
01-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Balloon fishing??????,,,, i am sure this is not against any current law,,,, one of the fishing shows on tele recently had a segment "balloning of cliffs in WA"

and the more i think of it,,,, would this also cover if your using a float,,,,, it carries your line past a normal casting distance???

choppa

pipifin
01-12-2011, 11:08 AM
I see where your coming from, but it could also be read as "the above restrictions are for fishing lines and do not apply to the following"
If indeed they are illegal forms of fishing, then shouldn't it read "they are not permitted"?
I'm sure it used to read differently as I remember noticing that you couldn't tie a fishing line to a fixed object such as a tree etc. I also thought it used to have less hooks per line.... Oh well.... maybe I dreamt it.

onerabbit
01-12-2011, 07:13 PM
I cant see that it would matter how you chose to get your baits out into deeper water,
but in NSW there is a limit of 3 hooks, & you should be present.

Muzz