PDA

View Full Version : Marine National Park what a joke

jaymart
28-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Maybe some one can enlighten me, I was fishing up near the mouth of poverty creek in the Bribie Passage which is a marine national park this morning and watched a helicopter spend about half an hour areal spraying all the mangrove swamp around the area as part of the areas misquito control program.
My question is how can you leagly take out one of the first links in the food chain in a marine national park,>:( ?
I bet it also just doesn't kill the misquito lava if the truth was known.
Or is it just a case of just make more of the area green zone to keep the uniformed happy when it comes to our deminishing fish stocks. Instead of admitting they are poisoning and starving our fish stock in their juvenal stage.

Cheers Martin

pescados
29-11-2011, 02:25 PM
Just wonder if there is any housing nearby( don't know the area) if not then it is just like anything else.
Flat bottomed ;) bureau crats making decisions on something they know bugger all about and generally stuffing it up. >:(

Yellowjack
29-11-2011, 02:45 PM
I think I might have seen a helicopter doing the same thing around redcliffe the other day, not sure if it was spraying anything, wasnt paying enough attention of it.

softplasticsdude79
29-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Maybe some one can enlighten me, I was fishing up near the mouth of poverty creek in the Bribie Passage which is a marine national park this morning and watched a helicopter spend about half an hour areal spraying all the mangrove swamp around the area as part of the areas misquito control program.
My question is how can you leagly take out one of the first links in the food chain in a marine national park,>:( ?
I bet it also just doesn't kill the misquito lava if the truth was known.
Or is it just a case of just make more of the area green zone to keep the uniformed happy when it comes to our deminishing fish stocks. Instead of admitting they are poisoning and starving our fish stock in their juvenal stage.

Cheers Martin

Valid point,however i believe they still need to be controlled to some extent,I dont think routine spraying in a certain areas is going to make the species extinct,however,i would like to know if it poisons any fish that eat sprayed larvae or the like.

Adam

Tailortaker
29-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Just wonder if there is any housing nearby( don't know the area) if not then it is just like anything else.
Flat bottomed ;) bureau crats making decisions on something they know bugger all about and generally stuffing it up. >:(
There is no housing near by, they do it there and at Mission Point where the camp grounds are, Probably preparing for the Xmas holiday period. I'll be up there just after new year so I hope that they do a good job ;)
Cheers, TT

waterbouy
29-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Here Here. The ''Government'' are useless parasites. There are some reports that the Exxon valdez (oil spill) was done on purpose. As the area holds minning wealth. Is a shame these twits are running the country.

Macca11
29-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Mozzie control programs are implemented by most Council's with saltmarsh/mangrove environments near by. Didn't want to cut and paste but by doing a search on any council website will give you all the answers you will need re what is sprayed and its impacts. In a nut shell, it's a bacterium that specifically targets mosquito larvae, doesn't harm fish or humans and generally used on king tides where water can pond (mozzies need still water) and provides ideal habitat for the mozzie life cycle to complete.

Hope this kinda helps.

PADDLES
30-11-2011, 06:56 AM
it's not frikkin baygon they're spraying, there is a science to it, apparently the stuff only targets larvae in a specific stage of it's life cycle. you'll see the choppers hit it on the big high tides like we've just had.

Oh Gee
30-11-2011, 09:04 AM
I can see the hypocrisy of this spraying. Declare an area a "green" zone so normal citizans cannot take, harm or use anything and the natural ecosystem can function normaly without interference. Then. Spray a substance (Poisonous or Biological or whatever) to remove or greatly deminish a known food source of the fauna of the area.

Yes, hypocritical but what else do you expect from governments.

Tailortaker
30-11-2011, 09:16 AM
But this area is not a green zone

Basstones
30-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Ah so that's what that helicopter was doing on sunday at the south end of the hornibrook bridge... was wondering what was going on.

Macks forever
30-11-2011, 10:23 AM
They use Bti [a bacteria that targets mosquito larvae as mentioned above] as well as Methoprene an insect growth regulator. They target the pools of stagnant salt water that exist between king tides in the salt marshes where the mosquitoes breed. Both have been proven to have no or negligible impacts on fish and the marine environment. Or at least not yet been proven to have a negative impact. But they have been in use for decades now.

They often also use habitat modification to drain the salt marsh pools that stagnate between king tides to prevent the larvae from hatching.(Runnelling)
This runnelling also allows fish into the pools to eat the larvae which would normally mature and fly away before the next king tide.

I do not know if either of these are allowed in green zones. I would guess the spraying might be but probably not the runnelling?