PDA

View Full Version : Timely reminder for all pwc user's.

therapy
28-11-2011, 10:11 PM
A story in todays CM. Stay safe these holidays and take care around other vessels.

A GOLD Coast man whose wife lost her leg in a jet-ski accident has been found guilty of "gross carelessness and negligence" but spared jail because he now has to care for her and their seven children. Debbie Mcatamney burst into tears in her wheelchair as her husband Jamie was sentenced in Southport Magistrates Court on Monday.
Mr Mcatamney, 37, pleaded guilty to unsafe operation of a vessel causing grievous bodily harm, a charge that carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in jail.
The prosecution followed an accident on the Southport Broadwater on July 4 last year in which Mrs Mcatamney was thrown off the jet-ski they were riding together and run over by a boat.
The court had been told Mr Mcatamney was riding the ski at speeds of about 60km/h when he overtook the boat and turned sharply. His wife was struck by the boat, severing her right leg above the knee.
In stinging sentencing remarks, magistrate Ron Kilner said Mr Mcatamney had displayed "gross carelessness and gross negligence of the extreme kind".

"I cannot accept that in a situation such as this that you would not have seen the vessel only moments before the collision, if you were keeping a proper lookout," Mr Kilner told Mr Mcatamney.
"In not keeping a proper lookout in so far as the vessel is concerned, that ultimately caused the injuries to your wife.
"Yet again, it's another instance of how a moment of foolishness can result in a lifetime of misery. I'm afraid these sort of things occur all too frequently in this community and on the Gold Coast in particular."
Mr Kilner said the crime warranted a jail term but noted that Mr Mcatamney was responsible for the ongoing care of his wife and children.
"In one respect, you have suffered as a result of your actions simply because you are obliged to care for your wife and your family," the magistrate said.
He sentenced Mr Mcatamney to six months' jail, wholly suspended for 18 months.
The Mcatamneys refused to comment as they left court.

Seahorse
29-11-2011, 05:47 PM
So what are u saying?

It's not only jet ski riders who have accidents. This would apply to all craft, so don't signal out pwc users.
Do u put this type thread when there is a boating accident?

therapy
29-11-2011, 10:28 PM
I thought what I was saying would be patently obvious as I bloody well said it at the start of the post. You are a touchy one hey Seahorse. I thought some thin skinned jet skier might take offence but just highlighting the dangers of water craft that can do 100k's an hour around other vessels. And since not everyone reads the papers, perhaps reading this might make someone think twice about excessive speed and the old due care. Don't worry, I won't bother posting anything in your beloved pwc section again.

Seahorse
30-11-2011, 07:27 AM
As I said before accidents happen in all craft. From tinnies doing 50 Kim to 50 footers trying to do same speed in broad water.
I fish as well as jet ski. Thin skinned? No, just pissed off at so called boaties taking cheap swipe at people who own a jet ski. A lot of us do the right thing u know. No more, no less than some clown in a boat.
Prob the smartest thing u said was that u r not posting in this section again.

TheRealAndy
30-11-2011, 07:42 AM
I would be happy if jetskis were banned from all creeks and rivers.

therapy
30-11-2011, 08:27 AM
No wonder you fish alone allot. You come across as a 70 year old sook. No hidden meaning in my original post, no cheap swipe. Just posting a news article and since we now have a pwc section, I thought it would be the right place to post it. But it seems that what they say about the minority of pwc riders might be true so to protect your hyper sensitive self, this so-called boaty will refrain from posting here and possibly upsetting ( or pissing off!!) the crankiest man on Ausfish. Have fun solo old bloke....

pipifin
30-11-2011, 09:18 AM
Pretty sure the article was about a "Jet ski" accident.... so pretty sure this is the correct place for the thread. The same as I have seen cautions and accident reports about boats, in the boating section.
No doubt someone will have something negative to say about every thread. It's a shame people have to try and find hidden meanings and delve into the every response, looking for a reason to "nay say". I'll make it easy on those people and misspell a few words just to give you something to bicth about.
I'm with you therapy. Nothing against jet skiers..... some of my best friends are jet skiers. Plenty against moaning ol' "letter writers" though.

Seahorse
30-11-2011, 02:21 PM
No sook here. I don't mind fishing alone when I have to.
I don't recall seeing any articles in the boating or fish chat about timely reminders to all boaties after a boating accident, and there has been a few.
I don't think that we need to be reminded. These things are on the news and in the papers.
I don't need to defend my self in any way.
I see things from both sides of fence. It just seem to me that people seem to love to hate jet ski riders.
I have been a boatie for past 2o yrs and just got into jet ski and jet ski fishing.
I treat my ski like a boat when i am out and about.
As far as banning from all creeks and rivers then I have as much right to fish on my ski up in those areas as anyone. So u can bash that idea.
I might be in the minority of jet ski riders, the good ones.
Pipifin, if you have nothing creative to say other than just jump on the band wagon, then probably better of say nothing at all.
Let's just get back to what we do best and fish.

Jarrah Jack
30-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Therapy's origional post put up the facts from the article and asked people to take care. Time to chill out Seahorse.

TheRealAndy
30-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Need a kleenex seahorse?? There has been plenty of "timely reminders" for boat owners in AF over the years. PWC's need special attention because of the majority of brain dead morons they attract. You get em all all walks of life, just some paths have a higher percentage.

Seahorse
30-11-2011, 06:33 PM
I know who needs the Kleenex . As I said I enjoy both worlds, ski and boat and there are plenty brain dead morons, behind a wheel or hanging onto a tiller.
You blokes seem to be getting upset. Calling names now. That's not nice

TheRealAndy
30-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Seahorse, you taking it personally, relax. I seem to be yelling at said jet ski knobs everyweekend as they pass the marina in Shorncliffe doing well over 6 knots and making absurd amounts of wash. But I do notice the responsible ones, and even chat to them from time to time and thank them for not being knobs, as I did just a few weekends back.

Seahorse
30-11-2011, 08:01 PM
That could have been me. I consider everyone when I am on ski. I do my 6knts when required and keep my distance from other boats when passing.
It just appears to me that people just can't wait for the chance to bag jet ski riders. I can tell you that I know a few guys who use their ski to fish, and that is what they do, and consider all boaties.
I just don't see why I need to be reminded. I think u would react the same if u r grouped with people who don't do the right thing.
Anyway I am over this thread. I just want to go fishing and enjoy myself.

mattooty
30-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Seahorse, the article wasn't aimed at you or any of the responsible PWC users. It's simply what the title says, a timely reminder. Whether that means a motor bike rider reads it and second thinks his actions to punch 150km/hr between a line of banked traffic, or someone out in their new big boat for the first time pushing the limits.
This is a PWC section of the forum, and like all other sections, INCLUDING the boating section, accidents that have been reported are often posted. I don't live in the Gold Coast and as such wouldn't have read this article if it hadn't been posted here, I feel for the bloke however his wife is permanently disabled due to his negligence. Just don't take it as a bagging, simply a reminder.

pipifin
01-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Pipifin, if you have nothing creative to say other than just jump on the band wagon, then probably better of say nothing at all.
Let's just get back to what we do best and fish.

There are two sides two the argument, and I chose one. Pretty sure that's what these threads are about. Two bandwagons.... choose one.
And as for doing what we do best...... I'm still pretty crap at fishing.... got any tips??

Seahorse
01-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Pipifin.
To improve ur fishing, buy a ski and get there faster, lol

Mate where u fishing

pipifin
01-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Caloundra.... mate with the ski wants to hit the reefs with me on the back chasing big bertha

Mr__Bean
03-12-2011, 11:07 PM
I ride a ski and to be honest I read the article and thought how easy it can happen when you are out freestyling if you don't keep an adequate eye out. I haven't thrown anyone off the back, but I have been close when I have throttled off a bit harder than anticipated and caught the passenger off guard.

Anyway, each to their own. I love the boat and I love the ski, but to me they are different uses of the same water. Sure there are some Wally's on ski's, but shit I have seen some Wally's in boats too.

Darren

P.S. Dropping the ski in at Scarborough early in the morning for a run up to Caloundra and back.