PDA

View Full Version : New Boat Ordered

mikeaus
26-11-2011, 02:27 PM
After exhausting all avenues in the overpriced used market, i decided on a new boat.

I was tossing between the Cruise Craft 530, Evolution 550, however after much thought and consideration I ordered a Tournament 1800 with 115 Etec.

Reason being was its size, finnish quality, local builder to me, Etec $750 rebate and service benefits. In addition I also got a pretty good deal from dealer.

It was a right headache to choose, and was not as pleasant a experience as I expected it to be. I also seriously considered the 1900, however I could not justify the 8 large extra for a few hundred mills of length. There are few other features too, but still lots more turkey for almost the same boat.

The CC and Evo are great boats too, however I saved almost 10k on these boats and if I'm honest with myself I am not sure I need to pay the extra.

Now to get insurance for it. Any tips here would be gratefully appreciated. I have had 3 quotes so far. Mid nine hundreds from NRMA and GI Joe. However an online quote from Club Marine come in at $550 ish. All fully comp with all year insurance on the water.

What the deal in the insurance.

PinHead
26-11-2011, 02:39 PM
After exhausting all avenues in the overpriced used market, i decided on a new boat.

I was tossing between the Cruise Craft 530, Evolution 550, however after much thought and consideration I ordered a Tournament 1800 with 115 Etec.

Reason being was its size, finnish quality, local builder to me, Etec $750 rebate and service benefits. In addition I also got a pretty good deal from dealer.

It was a right headache to choose, and was not as pleasant a experience as I expected it to be. I also seriously considered the 1900, however I could not justify the 8 large extra for a few hundred mills of length. There are few other features too, but still lots more turkey for almost the same boat.

The CC and Evo are great boats too, however I saved almost 10k on these boats and if I'm honest with myself I am not sure I need to pay the extra.

Now to get insurance for it. Any tips here would be gratefully appreciated. I have had 3 quotes so far. Mid nine hundreds from NRMA and GI Joe. However an online quote from Club Marine come in at $550 ish. All fully comp with all year insurance on the water.

What the deal in the insurance.

why wasn't it a pleasant experience?

Dean1
26-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Cant beat Club Marine online ive used them for alot of years wouldnt use anything else. Cheers.

mikeaus
26-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Pretty stressful, lots of makes and models. Price fluctuations of up to 8k for the same thing. etc etc.

In the end I just asked for prices for a standard spec boat with the engine I wanted. This was the only way I could compare. I am pretty sure dealers add options so they can confuse prices and make it more difficult to compare.

When asking for a standard spec price and then asking them to price the options on the boat, thats when the stuttering starts. Cuddy covers for $900 and nonsense like that. I mean who pays $900 for a 1 meter square of plastic.

To be fair I am pretty difficult customer to handle too I guess. I ask lots of questions and put sales staff on the spot. However, at the end of the day I like everyone else just want the best deal without having my trousers pulled down.

All good in the end thought.

jason p
26-11-2011, 03:15 PM
yep i will second club marine, they also have a great road side assist.

jp

FisHard
26-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Good one you mikeaus! I'm sure you will enjoy your Tournament. My work is just down the road from AMC and I've stppoed in there a few times to check them out. I actually really liked the 1900. I'm 6'3 and could lie comfortably on the bunks.
Yeah, go Club Marine, they are the best.

Tailortaker
26-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Have a look at Nautilus Marine Insurance, They specialize in boats same as club marine. I got a quote from them and they beat club marine.
http://nautilusinsurance.com.au/minigen/default.asp?action=showContent&contentID=1
Cheers, TT

OPTI
26-11-2011, 05:48 PM
club marine are great till you have a claim ,nautilus is the go ,great people to deal with

Moonlighter
26-11-2011, 06:45 PM
I went with RACQ, very happy so far, I'm a gold level member so got a good discount too.

Just make sure the trailer they put it on has some reserve weight capacity for when you've got full belly of fuel, eskies, ice and your humungous tackle box full of snapper leads! Ideally you want about 10% extra capacity once you take all that into account. Sometimes dealers shove a "just enough" trailer under boats to keep the $ down.

Cheers

ML

death_ship
26-11-2011, 07:02 PM
how much you pay?

PinHead
26-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Pretty stressful, lots of makes and models. Price fluctuations of up to 8k for the same thing. etc etc.

In the end I just asked for prices for a standard spec boat with the engine I wanted. This was the only way I could compare. I am pretty sure dealers add options so they can confuse prices and make it more difficult to compare.

When asking for a standard spec price and then asking them to price the options on the boat, thats when the stuttering starts. Cuddy covers for $900 and nonsense like that. I mean who pays $900 for a 1 meter square of plastic.

To be fair I am pretty difficult customer to handle too I guess. I ask lots of questions and put sales staff on the spot. However, at the end of the day I like everyone else just want the best deal without having my trousers pulled down.

All good in the end thought.

you should have a go at buying something in the 30' range..that is fun with makes and models.

all the best with the new boat and enjoy every minute of it.

mikeaus
26-11-2011, 07:26 PM
$44000 with Bimini top, rockets and extension. 115 Etec. GARMIN 551 COLOUR SOUNDER/GPS COMBO.

I did try harder, believe me. I think I did ok and I am sure that was his limit on the stock boat.

Floating Rib
26-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Lot of boat for the money Mike very nice, playing devils advocate was the 130 ETEC much more expensive? my 6.2m RIB is 200kg lighter than your hull and i wish sometimes id gone a 135 or 140hp instead of 115hp, its great 90% of the time but could use the extra hp with a big load on, im now looking at trim tabs and 4 blade props as an option to get out the hole a little better(of course i realise the ETEC is probably punchier than my 4 stroke). cheers and enjoy the boat.

BM
27-11-2011, 07:06 AM
Mike,

I enquired recently about insurance for a 23 flybridge and spoke to both Club and Nautilus. Club beat Nautilus on price by quite a bit.

Now from the other side, I did an engine rebuild for a customer under insurance and the insurer was Club. We had to do some additional work as part of the rebuild which had nothing to do with the actual failure and I advised Club of this but they actually paid the extra dollars. It was only $250 odd dollars but I was surprised as it wasn't a cost they had to pay.

Sure there's rumour of bad stories but I have not had a bad experience with them as a repairer.

Cheers

mikeaus
27-11-2011, 07:17 AM
Yea, not sure Rib.

Its been over 5 years since I had a boat so I am not sure of the power required. That said, I have researched every review for what its worth and they all say the 115 has plenty. You would think they would want to sell the bigger one if they could.

I also have a theory that I wanted to purchase a boat for my families requirements. I think sometimes we can get caught up catering for everyone else for the odd day out, rather than what its used for 90% of the time.

Its like buying a house. I have had friends buy a more expensive house with an extra bedroom just incase a friend decides to stay. Personally, I would make do and have them sleep on the lounge floor on the rare occasion this may happen.

But, i would like to know if anyone who has a similar sized boat with a 115 Etec and thinks its underpowered, as its not too late for me to change.

Jabba_
27-11-2011, 08:18 AM
Mike before you take delivery off your new boat.. Jump over to the E-tec owners forum and get all the info on how to set up you motor to get the best from it.. It is true that E-tec has a much smaller set up window then a normal carb 2st and modern 4st.. There not hard to get on the money and when you do get them tuned right they go like the clappers and are a economical as 4st.. Prop size, engine height, fuel lines and battery connections are all important for performance and longevity..

rodneyk
27-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Hi Mikeaus just been thru same thing after looking for ages 2nd hand no offence to anyone trying to sell thier boat old motors trailers covers /// all adds up .
Settled on tournament 1900 bluwater 140 suzi redco trailer put it all together myself except motor which was dealer fitted . Boat goes as good as my old 570 champion Haines Hunter with a bit more room all brand new good construction methods very good finish in places not many ppl look at .
Going to 140 suzi was the hard decision as i prefer yammi but didnt want 150 hp on transom which in my opinion was too bulky so far happy with suzi as the boat planes in about 3 boat lengths with std 21 alloy prop . I think it needs to come up 1 hole but will wait and see .Also went with Club Marine $530( no skiing).I considered the 1800 myself seriously because of room in cockpit as its got heaps more than 1900 but went for slightly better ride Cheers Rod

mikeaus
27-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Great info chaps. I love this forum, its priceless.

Keep the answers coming, its gold.

TREVELLY
27-11-2011, 09:29 AM
With boat insurance just check they cover motor overheating from a plastic bag covering intake - some don't cover it.

death_ship
27-11-2011, 10:53 AM
sounds good but by the time you go with all the bits i would want, tandem trailer, stand alone plotter, trim tabs, clears, carpets, baitboard, lights etc your pushing 50k for a 5.6m boat when u could go a older haines 5.8 with 4 banger for 35k thats fully optioned. guess it depends on budget.

mikeaus
27-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Yea, DS I did consider used, however I am buggered if I was going to spend 40/50k on a 5+ year old boat. In 5 more years when I come to sell, what I have is an old clunker in need of a new engine thats pretty worthless.

As I said, I personally think we all go over the top when it comes to purchasing.

Single trailer is fine for the 2km trip to the boat ramp, its comes with carpet, hydraulic steering, lights, the combo plotter is fine too, I don't plan on doing any solo trips around the planet any time soon. I can't see myself spending 6K on some clears and a bait board, however I am sure the dealer would oblige given the chance.

I can understand what you are saying though, everyone is different. However, I am not the kind of person who buys an M3 BMW to drive to the bakery once and week, or a 100 Series to take the kids to school. Buy what you require now i reckon, if it changes later then add stuff. When it come to options the dealers just lap it up.

Floating Rib
28-11-2011, 07:16 AM
Hi Mike, forgot to mention im with Club Marine also, have no experience with a claim but guess there are good and bad stories from all providers, mine was about $60 cheaper than any other qoute + $50 Whitworths voucher which i think they are still offering.
You are right about the tendency of us all to go over the top with purchases(i would have liked a Verado but a 9K more than i paid for the 115 i dont think so), as mentioned the 115hp Etec will be great but just thought id bring up the point of extra power.
Cheers
Mick

Argle
28-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Just a query, what is the BMT weight for this rig? If its in Qld then you would hope its well under the 1500kg mark which is the point where it becomes law to have a tandem trailer. I understand what you are saying regarding a short run to the ramp but its worth checking. Its easier to get it sorted before you hand over the $ rather than after and your insurance wont be worth the paper its printed on if you have an illegal set up.

Cheers
Scott

julian1
28-11-2011, 12:09 PM
yep Club Marine are not so nice whenit comes time to make a claim

mikeaus
28-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Just a query, what is the BMT weight for this rig? If its in Qld then you would hope its well under the 1500kg mark which is the point where it becomes law to have a tandem trailer. I understand what you are saying regarding a short run to the ramp but its worth checking. Its easier to get it sorted before you hand over the $ rather than after and your insurance wont be worth the paper its printed on if you have an illegal set up.

Cheers
Scott

Thanks for the tip Scott, I will look into it.

The boat is 750kg, I am guessing the engine is 200kg? so, as long as the trailer comes in at less than 550kg then it should be good. Not sure how much a trailer weighs?

Moonlighter
28-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Argle is making the same point I was highlighting in my earlier post: make sure that when you add fuel and all your gear, the whole shebang weighs within the rating of the trailer. As I said, its an old trick where some dealers include a "just barely enough capacity when its an empty boat" type of trailer to keep the $ down

But when you add 2 x anchors rope and chain, fishing gear, eskies, ice, other gear and all the crap that we all end up with in our boats, youre over the trailers capacity as per the VIN plate and you are then up that famous creek.

Youd definitely want a single axcle trailer to have the max capacity of 1500kg. Ask the dealer what the trailer is rated to and if it is easily sufficient to cover all the normal gear.