PDA

View Full Version : Cobia off DI

dazyz1
24-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Went out off DI last weekend, ended up north east of Wolf Rock I think its called the pinnacles. Not much biting on the bottom, spent an hour or so in one spot with a bit of burley going and wasn't getting much interest then just before we moved I got a massive hit on a plastic and ended up fighting something for about fifteen minutes before the leader and my braid parted ways (20lb braid and 30lb fluro leader and I didn't make ground on it the whole time). The usual colourful language followed. Another twenty minutes or so without a bite so we moved back towards the point and had only just anchored and started fishing when our floating pilly got smashed. Saw something surface about 25m from the boat and it got labelled a shark so we lost a bit of interest and the mate who hooked it up handed the rod to me and said you can finish off. Another five minutes later we get it to the edge of the boat an realize its a Cobia. It wasn't the most productive trip I've had but it's the first Cobia and the biggest fish the tinny has seen so far.

Angla
24-11-2011, 05:03 PM
I'm hearing you about the shark call. They certainly are a tactical fish and I am sure plenty have been released due to the thoughts of a shark. Did it do shark rolls when it came to the boat, as that seems to be another tactic of this species.

Top eater in my books

Cheers
Chris

jason p
24-11-2011, 05:03 PM
thats a nice fat cobe mate and a good size for your first. they put on a good fight for there size.

jp

thelump
24-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Love the Cobes well done. Nice fat bugger that one.

TREVELLY
25-11-2011, 05:23 AM
You got the rod to finish the catch - i hope you got some of the fish for a feed too.

Well done.

Makes you wonder the one that got away - always next time.

waterbouy
25-11-2011, 07:14 PM
She only just fits on that brag mat. Haha well done. Onya.