PDA

View Full Version : Stone fish, Biggera Creek, Gold Coast.

wayno60
24-11-2011, 12:51 AM
Forgot to mention the other day that when i was cast netting in the biggera creek i pulled up two stone fish, one was maybe 5in and the other 3in.>:(
If its ok with everyone they are no longer with us and were disposed of.:-?

cheers

banshee
24-11-2011, 06:36 AM
Could they have been Bullroutes?

charleville
24-11-2011, 08:42 AM
I have caught plenty of them out in the Bay at places like the Harry Atkinson Artificial Reef. That is not too much of a swim from Biggera Creek so I reckon that they might be found anywhere around SE Qld.

HeadBanger
24-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Saw one caught in a net off Paradise Point Jetty last year. The guy thought it was a rock and almost went to pick it up.'

Cheers,
Kaidon

choppa
24-11-2011, 11:15 AM
Little Goat Island in Pumicestone Passage has a family of them living around it,,,, the occasional catch of the Jetty and and around Cook's and Tiger Rocks aren't uncommon either

choppa

wayno60
24-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Banshee,
I thought bullrouts were fresh water?? i might be wrong!!
And at the boat ramp at baffle creek theres a sign saying not to clean fish or throw left overs into the water as it attracts stone fish to the area...

3rd degree
24-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Plenty of Stone Fish around SEQ.

ALWAYS wear shoes.....

Matt_Campbell
24-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Forgot to mention the other day that when i was cast netting in the biggera creek i pulled up two stone fish, one was maybe 5in and the other 3in.>:(
If its ok with everyone they are no longer with us and were disposed of.:-?

cheers

Why did you "dispose" of them?

fat-buoy
24-11-2011, 01:20 PM
When I was at school I went dragging a net for prawns in Cabbage Tree Creek near the Shorncliffe boat club (Qld) and was with a group of Vietnamese friends at the time.. In their typical fashion they dragged the net out into the water and waded at chest height for about 50 meters before bringing the net back in.. there was 5 stone fish in the net along with the prawns etc... There was no way I was going to be getting in there to pull the net along.. I would rather pay the $10 for a kilo of bay prawns than step on one of those nasty buggers!!

charleville
24-11-2011, 01:46 PM
When I was at school I went dragging a net for prawns in Cabbage Tree Creek near the Shorncliffe boat club (Qld) and was with a group of Vietnamese friends at the time.. In their typical fashion they dragged the net out into the water and waded at chest height for about 50 meters before bringing the net back in.. there was 5 stone fish in the net along with the prawns etc... There was no way I was going to be getting in there to pull the net along.. I would rather pay the $10 for a kilo of bay prawns than step on one of those nasty buggers!!

;D;D;D That reminds me of the joke about why Afghan men now get their wives to walk ahead of them instead of behind them as has been their traditional cultural practice.

The reason for the new practice?.... land mines. ;D

shane450
24-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Why did you "dispose" of them?

+ 1 out of interest

Screamin Semen
24-11-2011, 04:02 PM
+ 1 out of interest
+2 :-?:-?:-?

Gazza
24-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Well done Wayno :thumbsup: , you possibly saved a life ........ :D -3 :P::)

randell
24-11-2011, 06:12 PM
I have heard reports of stone fish in the broadwater and a few other SEQ spots, definitle not bullrouts, as they are freshwater.
Wear shoes, mainly against broken glass around boatramps and public areas......

randell

wayno60
24-11-2011, 09:18 PM
here we go.................. ok, i spend alot of time in that creek and whether its a bullroute or a stone fish i dont want to go stepping on one.
Its not like its a big breeding female that i should be throwing back to help repopulate the estuary for future generations to stand on...I caught it and its my decision to what happens to it...

shane450
25-11-2011, 06:31 AM
wear shoes

shane450
25-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Its not like its a big breeding female that i should be throwing back to help repopulate the estuary for future generations to stand on...I caught it and its my decision to what happens to it...

You mean like a big jack , maybe one supposedly over 60 :)

just sayin

wayno60
25-11-2011, 11:06 AM
yes shane, exactly,

softplasticsdude79
25-11-2011, 03:26 PM
i saw a stonefish caught at buckeys hole a couple years back,was 30cm and weighed 1-2 kg.

the bloke spiked it and threw it back in the water.

Adam

mattooty
25-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Very probably a bullrout at that size, though could go either way. Bullrouts are definitely NOT restricted to fresh water.

Can I ask what your thought process behind killing them though? I mean, you killed 2... That's not a population. That's not even a speck of a percent of what would most likely be residing in that area. I'm no greeny by any means, but it's just plain cruelty and ignorance to think that by killing 2 fish you're making your cast netting area a "safer" place.

But as you said, it's your choice and as long as you stick to your guns, good on you.

Prowl n Wolf
25-11-2011, 05:38 PM
wayno, if i was launching the boat at my local ramp and was cast netting before heading out and caught a stone fish knowing that familys and kids use this area, i would have done the same. no wonder fishing reports/experiences are becoming less frequent.

wayno60
25-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Well it is a nice sandy beach and kids and dogs play in and around the water way all weekend and
at one end is a very busy Boat ramp.

no wonder fishing reports/experiences are becoming less frequent.
yes mate you got that right....ya think ya doing your self and other users a favour and all you get is shot down....i guess id be the worst person in the world if i knew they were there and didnt tell anyone.

fish on!!

mattooty
25-11-2011, 08:28 PM
It's just a drop in the ocean. If you know they're there then let people know? It's easier to create a long term solution rather than a short term band-aid approach.

Muddy Toes
25-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Gee I'm glad to be sharing the world with such a great bunch of non hypocritical environmentally friendly people that would never swat a fly, squash a mosquito, stand on an ant or even use a mouse trap.
I'm not hear to say it was the right or wrong decision to kill them I'm just saying have a think about it before giving the bloke a bit of flack.

mattooty
25-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Mate, I'm not having a dig, just trying to encourage thinking outside of the box. I know the exact thought process to well, I chase pigs on a property for a bloke, but same scenario, its a drop in the ocean if he thinks I'm going to clear it out. But if there was a more efficient way of doing it, then I'd be onto it.
In saying that, we've been looking into what area's they're using to enter his property and either running live wires or different fences. It's all about the approach. In nature, if a specimen is knocked out of its habitat, chances are another will take up residence in that same spot.
I apologize wayno for coming across as abrupt or rude. I should have thought out my reply better.
I really hope it was a bullrout for the locals users sake, as their sting is marginally less intense than a stonefish, though I sometimes find that hard to believe after getting stung by a bullrout which flippin' hurts!
For future reference, water as hot as you can stand if you happen to come into contact with one of the buggers.

Muddy Toes
25-11-2011, 09:13 PM
. I know the exact thought process to well, i chase pigs on a property for a bloke, but same scenario, its a drop in the ocean if he thinks i'm going to clear it out.but if there was a more efficient way of doing it, then i'd be onto it.
take me then!!!!

Crestcutter
26-11-2011, 05:58 AM
Mattooty, you obviously need more fire power, and i happen to have it lol. Lets go. But in all seriousness, i have 2 properties out here at the moment that are over run by pigs and roos.

Ps , a pig will just run through any electric fence or the like. You wont stop them,, if they are addiment on getting to the sorghum or wheat paddock they will.

shane450
26-11-2011, 06:56 AM
I d just like to say if at any stage your feelings get hurt by someone on an internet forum , by either them having a different opinion to you , telling you your fish is smaller than you believe :) ( cause fisherman never stretch the ruler LOL ) , pointing out your actions were a little irresponseable or pointless IT S TIME

go straight to the man office and hand your man card in :)

I m also starting to think a new forum is needed maybe called EMOfisherman.net a place where everyone will agree on everything just in case feelings get hurt

wayno60
26-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Shane,
You pointing out that in your mind my actions may have been pointless is the least of my worries. It would take alot more than your opinion to hurt my feelings.

TimD
26-11-2011, 10:26 AM
We should get a Meet & Greet organised to eradicate as many of these spiky bastards as we can.

cheers tim :)

ffejsmada
26-11-2011, 10:27 AM
I have heard reports of stone fish in the broadwater and a few other SEQ spots, definitle not bullrouts, as they are freshwater.
Wear shoes, mainly against broken glass around boatramps and public areas......

randell

Do your research mate, you might learn something.

MudRiverDan
26-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Wayno no offense mate,you can't kill something just because you think that is going to reduce the likelyhood of you treading on one in the future.

There are stone-fish in the area as a matter of fact I have found them all up and down the coast, as south as Port Maquarie myself.
They can't be mistaken for Bullrouts because they actually look like a stone, some I have seen have blue spikes, others not.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=stone+fish&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=RCr&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=JnnQTr-XBKWriAeh0oC9Dg&ved=0CEUQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=757

I let everything go as best I can, poor old stonefish was probably just trying to get a feed.. :)

cheers

MudRiverDan
26-11-2011, 03:48 PM
wayno, if i was launching the boat at my local ramp and was cast netting before heading out and caught a stone fish knowing that familys and kids use this area, i would have done the same. no wonder fishing reports/experiences are becoming less frequent.
What a load of bollocks.

tunaticer
26-11-2011, 04:52 PM
I caught one last weekend that would have nudged close to the kilo on a 4" dead sticked squidgy wriggler at Scarby. Probably about the 5th from that area for me and somewhere around 20 all up for me spread between Ballina and Eurimbula Creek (that one was a monster at nearing 1.5kg's).

Bullrouts I have caught from Woody point upstream in the pine river and one off Woorim Reef after the floods back a decade or so ago, along with two Spangled Perch.

The most frightening thing for me however is how many blue ring occy's reside along the rocky foreshores at Redcliffe. A mate and I collected 18 of them in an hour off the one patch of reef west of the clontarf ramp. Absolutely hundreds of them around there and we all regularly see kids exploring there in groups.

Prowl n Wolf
26-11-2011, 05:23 PM
What a load of bollocks.

mate your entitled to your opinion, but for goodness sake its a bloody stone fish.

MudRiverDan
26-11-2011, 05:54 PM
mate your entitled to your opinion, but for goodness sake its a bloody stone fish.

Yes I know that many here are not very into ecology, mostly because the greens have made it so bloody unpopular.
But if a lot of people read this then that might mean a lot of folk go out and kill them when they find them.

As for kids and family yes it is not good, but it is really not a huge risk, get kids to wear sand shoes or some foot cover.

Luckily stone fish do not inhabit sandy areas..kids play in sand stay away from stones and rock..simple.

I guess I would keep kids away from rocks anyway for oysters and foot cuts.

Yes Wayno killed a stonefish, does not bother me, but I dont think an agreement on kill on site is going to help anyone, more to the point , an injured stone-fish would most probably be more of a hazard.

Sure kill them if you want but teach the kids to respect certain aspects of the shoreline, bare feet around the rocks is a definite no no.

MudRiverDan
26-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Also if your not hard enough to take the Australian conditions there is always plenty of room at South Bank Beach.

Cheers

Prowl n Wolf
26-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Also if your not hard enough to take the Australian conditions there is always plenty of room at South Bank Beach.

Cheers
mate, thanks for your opinion. so what outfit should i bring to southbank? you should know.:P

TimD
26-11-2011, 11:49 PM
Too many bloody greenies on this forum these days ::)

Stonfish should be treated like carp :thumbsup:

cheers tim :)

tunaticer
27-11-2011, 05:22 AM
Each to their own TimD, I do not begrudge people from removing stonefish and similar from a locally often frequented location.
I can't condone people glory hunting sharks for the kill then dumping them, they are an essential part of the waters and deserve some respect.

Lucky_Phill
27-11-2011, 08:23 AM
Time gentlemen.

LP