PDA

View Full Version : best way to paint boat?

gazza2006au
23-11-2011, 02:15 PM
im looking at spraying my boat my uncle has said he will spray the inside and out plus install a new windscreen for $150 and i supply everything only thing is i dont want someone pinching my boat from his front lawn while his out shopping or sleeping its a 4.3m quintrex runabout so im thinking of spraying it my self i have the tools and have sprayed a few things in my time with a good finish im wondering how would i spray the bottom of my boat while its on the trailer without spraying the trailer?

lucee81
23-11-2011, 02:40 PM
im looking at spraying my boat my uncle has said he will spray the inside and out plus install a new windscreen for $150 and i supply everything only thing is i dont want someone pinching my boat from his front lawn while his out shopping or sleeping its a 4.3m quintrex runabout so im thinking of spraying it my self i have the tools and have sprayed a few things in my time with a good finish im wondering how would i spray the bottom of my boat while its on the trailer without spraying the trailer?

i guess the same way you would spray a car without covering the windows...how would you spray where the rollers are? how would you get an even coat where the cross bars are? i dont rekon it could be done properly
i would remove the boat from the trailer and flip it upside down...only way to get an even coat..
Short cuts normally lead to a bodgy job and taking longer in the end. I would be looking at paying the $150 and while it is in the front yard, chaining it to a tree or something...

cormorant
23-11-2011, 04:35 PM
Spraying side or complete bottom?
Just mask off if the sides but for the full bottom job suspend the boat from a hoist or tressles so it is at waist height. If trailer is in the way for a side only paint simple to jack up put a couple of 4 x 2 under it

With small boats we have removed motor and fliped them which sway more ergonomic. If it hasn't been painted before it is a big job to get the surface prep and primer to stick properly.

BM
23-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Gazza, pop the motor off and then take it off the trailer and lay it on its side. Spray the underside and let dry for a couple of days and put back on trailer.

Then mask off from the chine down and spray the rest. Allow a couple of days then refit motor and screen. Easy done.

gazza2006au
26-11-2011, 05:30 PM
thanks guys BM u make it sound easy lol im still contemplating doing the job my self just wondering how hoeavy do u think this boat is to tip it over? also i dont have a hook on my engine to lift it off that will make it a little harder as it would weigh a ton

den001
26-11-2011, 05:44 PM
mate i just done mine, its a biiiiggg job if u want a quality finish, i suspended mine with afew car stands and timbers everywhere, i suspended the read and then pulled the trailer out until on the last centre roller and then suspended the front, then the timbers went under where the gunwale rubber sits and it held in place...

fandtm666
26-11-2011, 05:48 PM
im rebuilding one and to prepare for paint etc i stripped her right back and flipped her over
so i can get a proper go at getting a good Finnish.

gazza2006au
26-11-2011, 05:49 PM
im rebuilding one and to prepare for paint etc i stripped her right back and flipped her over
so i can get a proper go at getting a good Finnish.

your pics are not working mate

gazza2006au
26-11-2011, 05:50 PM
ah pics are working now how heavy was that boat to flip over?

fandtm666
26-11-2011, 05:54 PM
ah pics are working now how heavy was that boat to flip over?

she is about 300kg transom and floor had already been stripped.took some stuffing around to flip
but in the end will be worth the effort.I made a frame around it and flipped her over
using a engine crane and block and tackle

gazza2006au
26-11-2011, 05:58 PM
thanks mate i want to paint my boat similar to this boat on ebay i like the cream over white with the dark blue http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STACER-Boat-Decals-Graphics-/260898984125?pt=AU_Boat_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cbeca90bd

fandtm666
26-11-2011, 06:04 PM
nice , similar colours i am going with.Mine will be white bottom with white top and the hull will be
a midnight blue as will the pod.

But seriously if you want a good finnish you will have to atleast get her onto its side so you
can get a good run on the bottom for prep and paint.

gazza2006au
26-11-2011, 06:16 PM
yeah if i paint it my self i will tip the boat over i just need to ask a few mates if they will help me also remembering the boat is 4.3m how much paint and etch primer will i need? is there anything else i will need?

BM
26-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Gazza,

It is quite easy mate. I have painted lots of boats and small boats are dead easy. I have rolled onto gunwales boats up to approx 20ft. Over that and I put onto upright 290x45's.

Your boat is a lightweight tinnie mate so rolling that would be a breeze!!! I've never painted a tinnie, only ever glass boats which of course are a lot heavier.

Cheers

gazza2006au
28-11-2011, 12:12 PM
after talking to my cousin yesterday (my cousins father wanted to paint the boat) my cousin said his dad wanted $150 plus me to help him work on the boat everyday lol i laughed and said i may as well do it my self so im going that route would i really need to remove the engine and tip the boat over? also heres a picture of the bottom it looks like when it was last painted they didnt use any etch primer as the paint is flaking off will i need to remove all this old paint or can i just paint over it? only the bottom is effected

lethal098
28-11-2011, 03:41 PM
you will need to remove all traces of paint and primer, otherwise your etch primer wont come into contact with the aluminium,

Cheers Lee

BM
28-11-2011, 04:25 PM
after talking to my cousin yesterday (my cousins father wanted to paint the boat) my cousin said his dad wanted $150 plus me to help him work on the boat everyday lol i laughed and said i may as well do it my self so im going that route would i really need to remove the engine and tip the boat over? also heres a picture of the bottom it looks like when it was last painted they didnt use any etch primer as the paint is flaking off will i need to remove all this old paint or can i just paint over it? only the bottom is effected

Mate it all depends if you want the paint to stick!! ;D;D

Removing the engine is not an issue at all and rolling the boat onto its side or even upside down will make your life very easy. Can't spray it on the trailer, simply not feasible.

Sand of all the old paint, etch prime and topcoat in 2 pack.

Cheers

gazza2006au
28-11-2011, 04:37 PM
ok cheers i was going to be using a single pack gloss enamel as i dont wanna mess with 2 pack paints again due to the high health risk

BM
28-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Up to you mate! I don't paint with anything other than 2 pack, due to its toughness. If you have a quality mask then you will be fine. But of course, if you are concerned about it then the best policy would be to avoid it (as you have suggested).

Cheers