PDA

View Full Version : Tinnie Upgrading

dadstinny
22-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Hi all, I have a 3.6m tinnie and a 15hp suzuki short shaft.

I am wanting to upgrade to a bigger boat but would like to keep my motor as it is only 2 months old and don't want to loose any money on it :).

The options I have is as follows,

1) Quintrex dart 400, I get to keep my motor as it is short shaft but would need to build my on floor not a big deal.

2) Bluefin 3.85 with front casting deck and floor and again I get to keep the motor as it is short shaft.

So question is which one and by having a short shaft on a 4.0 metre boat is it not a good idea? Most dealers have been telling me its better to transfer to a long shaft once you hit the 4.0 m mark what is the reason if its true?

Any help appreciated!

tunaticer
22-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Are you going to be hitting the bay much? The short shafts really only suffer when a following sea catches you up.

Would you consider either podding your motor or having a motor well fitted and changing to forward controls?? That way you avoid the surge over the tail with a full transom.

oldie
22-11-2011, 07:55 PM
the 15 is maybe a little light on HP wise for a 4 meter especially in V bottom, it would most likely be ok in a quintrex 390 explorer style boat, the 370 Dart would be better matched power wise in my opinion or similar but then its not much bigger than what you have got!? if you do go for a 4m move you fuel tank up front may help get you on the plane quicker, 4m is best with a 25 minimum IMHO

Axl
22-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Could'nt agree more with the above posts the last thing you want is to get in a broch (spelling) situation due to the leg being to short. 15h/p on a 4m hull would be a little under powered for my likeing. Whilst it will push the hull along alright at full noise, there wont be anything spare should you require it.

PADDLES
23-11-2011, 07:29 AM
hi dadstinny, i agree with the other comments too, you'll be wasting you time with a 15 on a 4m hull. if you're going to upgrade to something bigger, get rid of the 15 and start again.

dadstinny
23-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Cheers everyone for the comments.

I have decided to look at getting a half cab second hand instead, looking at a few models like swiftcraft and pongrass around 89ish models etc some where between the 4.5 and 5is metre mark and will let me keep my 15hp as an auxiliary motor.

Not a new tinnie but will give me a tad more room and see how it is with a bit bigger boat.

One question I go to tweed heads alot what is the bar like up there? I would like to be able to get outside every now and then for a run up to the Gold Coast but would something like this cope crossing a bar?

I have a licence etc but have never crossed a bar and very skeptical of my first crossing as this will probably be where it is so if there is anything I should be looking for in a boat to be prepared for this it would be appreciated if you could let me know.

PADDLES
23-11-2011, 11:23 AM
mate, for what your tinny hull is worth (if it's just a basic tinny), don't sell it, you'd be better off hanging on to it and having 2 boats.

dadstinny
23-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Hey Paddles I'll probably hang onto it for a little while and just see how I go with a half cab and if its what I really want.

I have a few reservations about it but it could all be unfounded!!!

joey_1987
23-11-2011, 01:01 PM
I have a Stacer 395, more or less the same as the Quintrex 400. I have 30hp on it and unless I am running two light people and no gear, the 30hp is needed. The 15 would struggle with any kind of load, my brother in law has a 15hp on a 3.4m Stacer and that is an ideal combination. Probably a good idea to hang onto what you have.

oldie
23-11-2011, 01:45 PM
get onto www.coastalwatch.com.au and click on qld web cams and check duranbah this gives you picutres and video of the bar all day everyday, the bar is currently very shallow and i'd only advise crossing on the run in tide and better closer to full high tide. lately the swell has been very small and wind not so bad so it means crossing most of the day is ok, but any sort of swell and a run out tide makes for crossing by experienced skippers. Also up next to VMR point danger is a great place to sit and study the bar, especially with polarized glasses on as you can really see where the sand it building up.

nigelr
23-11-2011, 02:31 PM
You are right to be concerned with crossing any bar.....don't know where you are located but in Sthn. Qld. there is at least one commercial course in bar crossings that is very well regarded on Ausfish.
4.5-5.0 metre will do the job on the right tide and swell, there's plenty of experienced skippers that cross bars in that size vessel and smaller, but try and gain some sort of experience first would be my advice FWIW. There can be a fairly fine line between going for it successfully, and saying, "nah, not today, it's only a fish" and it will take knowledge of your boat, the dynamics of river bars, and how to actually cross them to always successfully err on the side of caution.
Cheers.

dadstinny
23-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Thanks all for the comments going to check out a stejcraft 4.8 half cab. Doesn't seem to be as deep as the pongrass but still looks good.

Was also looking at a run about pongrass but don't think its a good idea for crossing bars.

Is the tweed bar going to be dregded to make it deeper and safer? Are there any other bars or locations to get me outside around the tweed to the goldy you could recommended?

Thanks again for all the comments hopefully soon ill have my new boat!

goat boy
23-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Do Bill Cortens bar crossing course, well worth every penny. You can also walk out on the Northern wall at Tweed and have a good look while watching other boats navigate the bar. On a good day it's usually easy to spot where the sand is building up.

dadstinny
23-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Cheers mate!!!

Can anyone comment on a Redlander fibreglass boat????

Been searching around and couldn't find a scrap about them!!

nigelr
24-11-2011, 05:31 AM
How much you want to spend?
Should be plenty to choose from once you get your budget fixed.
Make sure you go into a purchase with your eyes wide open as to what you are getting for your money, ie the whole boat, motor, trailer thing not just one part of.
Nothing wrong with runabout configuration either, it's really just a matter of walking before you can run.
There would be a hundred relevent threads on this forum that will provide good informative opinion for you.
Cheers and enjoy!

dadstinny
24-11-2011, 06:57 AM
Cheers mate, looking to spend around 6 - 7k I don't want anything fancy just something that is a clean hull and with a semi decent motor that I can fish from.

You are right I am looking at it from the perspective that if its setup for fishing and will save me fiddling around with it I can then invest in either repowering it or rebuilding the motor for peace of mind after this season as I don't like the idea of being outside and stuck if you get what I mean!!!

So really just want something that is ready to fish and a semi decent motor that I am not going to get stuck out and about with it but looking at with open eyes!

Going to have a look at a half cab I am keen on this weekend it has an early white Johnson 70 with electric tilt / trim don't know much more about this motor and I am just trying to find a mobile mechanic in Sydney to do a check over on the motor for me as the hull and trailer look clean.

dadstinny
24-11-2011, 01:06 PM
Looking at one today actually that came up its got an older model johnson 40.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking for on the motors?

Was going to check over all the wiring, linkages, steering etc and pull the cowling off and check oils etc but anything else on these ones I should look for?

Thanks!

Noelm
24-11-2011, 01:48 PM
I guess it depends on what you call "older" a compression test is always a good start when second hand motor shopping, check the plugs when you take them out and see if the all look the same, then see how the motor starts and runs cold, then a good long water test with a bit of high RPM to see if it over heats, second hand is a lottery at best, some good eals to be had, but also a lot of headaches, it's a buyers market, so be patient.

dadstinny
24-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Cheers mate, would love to do a compression test but don't have the gear and its a bit far out to get anyone to inspect the motor.

Will have a look and see how it pans out...

dadstinny
25-11-2011, 06:40 AM
Looked at the one yesterday....

No good needed to much of a tidy up, got a few more to look at on the weekend!

It was good look at the on yesterday as it is 4.3 meters and I wasn't sure on size but I can see it will be far to small for the family so we can focus on 4.8 or above.

dadstinny
25-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Forgot to ask, I have done some reading and it seems there is alot of transom replacements done on older glass boats.

Aside from tapping the hull looking for soft spots and put some pressure on a tilted motor is there anything else to look for?

Thanks!

STUIE63
25-11-2011, 10:24 AM
send a pm to member BM I think he had have a list of things to check when buying a secondhand glass boat

dadstinny
26-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Cheers for all the advice guys ended up grabbing a Yalt Craft 1600 today....

Got to do a thorough inspection and they even took me out for a water test prior to handing over $$$$....

She has had a bottom half spray so the white section needs a bit of a clean but for the price I got I can not complain compared to what else is on the market.

Had some troubles with the trailer on the way home the boat came of the rollers a tad. I think the skids on one side are not high enough so I am going to fix that up! 8-)

After we did the water test took it back out for a fish and christined with a decent sized whiting! So much easier than the tinnie :)

The old suziki 60 is a bit slow but will do the trick for now and next year in the off season I am going to put a 50 or so 4 stroke on to repower it.