PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Inflatables

purnong
22-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Has anyone had any experience with the new wave of inflatables on Ebay, As below

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-2mm-PVC-3-6m-inflatable-boat-tender-fiberglas-transom-RB-FREE-POSTAGE-/180745798121?pt=AU_Sport_Boating_Water_Sports_Wate rcraft&hash=item2a154a01e9#ht_10714wt_1396

I am thinking about a tinny to run around on the Murray River and came across these things but am a bit wary, Should I run or are these ok

Blane11
22-11-2011, 07:18 PM
I bought an inflatable a little while ago to use as an in-between boat while I was rebuilding the Haines. I take mine crabbing in the river, chasing bass in the dams and also outside chasing snapper on sp's and spearfishing. With a 25hp motor they can be fun and a handful, but extremely versatile.

There are a few things to look out for, they are usually made out of two different materials:
- PVC like the one you're looking at and
- hypalon - more expensive but far more durable.

While the PVC inflatables have come a long way, the hypalon is far superior with regards to uv stability and resistance to fuel. Strength is also another bonus. As a result they are more expensive, but if you do some investigating you will find that surf clubs throughout Australia stick with inflatables that are made from hypalon.

If you have any other questions shoot me a pm and I'd be happy to answer them. Or if you are looking for a hypalon one I'm looking to get rid of mine as I'm almost finished the Haines ha ha.

peterbo3
22-11-2011, 08:06 PM
When the seller cannot spell "fibreglass" I would be wary. Get the tinny.

BM
22-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Purnong,

I have a 4.6m version of this boat but from Pelagic Extreme (premium fishing.com.au). I have a 40 Johno on the back and it's an absolute ripper boat!! Looks to be the same boat.

I have 2 other bigger boats but use this one when I am away at caravan. I use it in a bay and ocean. I love the simplicity of inflatables and the ease of use.

The one I have is well constructed, stays inflated all the time (too much of a pain to deflate) and is a blast to get around in with a 40 on the back!!

I got my via trade links so got it well priced.

mal555
22-11-2011, 08:42 PM
- hypalon - more expensive but far more durable.

While the PVC inflatables have come a long way, the hypalon is far superior with regards to uv stability and resistance to fuel. Strength is also another bonus. As a result they are more expensive, but if you do some investigating you will find that surf clubs throughout Australia stick with inflatables that are made from hypalon.

+1..........

purnong
23-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the replies fella's
Certainly a few things to consider, The main issue for me would set up and pack away time
I'm thinking the tinny would be a lot easier to live with in that regard but also my two daughters will be using it so the stability of the inflatable is tempting
Decisions decisions

BM
23-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Purnong the stability is great. My kids are 7 and 9 and they sit on the seats whilst I sit on the pontoon. Super stable and going out through the bar and into the ocean down where my caravan is, is no problem with the kids on board. A tinny of similar size would be all over the place from a stability point of view and would freak my kids out I reckon. The inflatable just doesn't move around at all.

Sure, there's the risk of a puncture which you don't have with a tinny but I will take the comfort and stability of my inflatable over a tinny any day. Too bad your not in Melbourne or I'd take you for a fang in mine so you could see for youself.

Blane11
23-11-2011, 12:59 PM
As BM has said, the stability at rest is great.

Another issue to consider is trailering. Do you need a trailer or do you want to pack it away after each use.(unless you're camping near the water and then leave it up for a few days)

I don't have a trailer for mine, I wanted it that way so I didn't need to worry about registering a trailer, and I can fit the boat (deflated) and the motor in the back of a dual cab hilux so I can go launch where ever I want.

purnong
23-11-2011, 04:01 PM
The stability has almost got me sold but just unsure on these Ebay jobbies, All the feedback he has got so far is positive but I wonder what they would be like after a few years use whereas a tinny will still be alive for a very long time
I have a shack 200 metres from the river and will be setting up for a few days at a time and have a trailer I can use while I'm there
My oldest daughter is 14 and has a restricted boat licence so it's mainly for her to use and the stability is a strong consideration, She has grown up around boats and has good boat handling skills as I have taught her to drive all of the boats I have had over the years, Just in case she had to get us back for whatever reason (She can drive the car as well if need be)

BM
23-11-2011, 04:37 PM
I understand your concerns and logically the tinnie should outlast the inflatable.

I got my 4.6mtr for $1200 and picked up my 40 Johnno for $500. It will do me as a play toy for quite some time. I added some carpetted skids to my catamaran trailer and when using the inflatable lift the cat off and put the inflatable on. I'll get around to getting a trailer for the inflatable at some stage. It will also double as a tender in future for my bigger boat.

purnong
23-11-2011, 04:58 PM
I understand your concerns and logically the tinnie should outlast the inflatable.

I got my 4.6mtr for $1200 and picked up my 40 Johnno for $500. It will do me as a play toy for quite some time.

Yeah that's the thing BM it is cheap boating, I have an old Johnno 9.9 that I will use for it so the cost isn't great
The daughter is only allowed to do 10 knots so the Johnno on a 3.6 should be ok

BM
23-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Go for it mate. You won't be disappointed. I certainly am not and reckon its the best purchase I've made in a while.

purnong
23-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Just been nosing around further and it appears that some of these boats don't have the Australian Builders Plate, Just some generic plate with the same info
So some may not be able to be registered
Interesting, Will have to dig further as this could be a trap for the unwary

BM
23-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Mine has a build plate but it's not an ABP. Not an issue for registration in Victoria. The Vic rego form asks yes or no to an ABP and if no - no probs and if yes - manuf date required.

Check your rego form for your area but I doubt it will be an issue.

Cheers

BM
23-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Just had a quick squiz at the ABP info on the NMSC website. You will note under the FAQ section (see attached link) that there are exemptions for inflatables and PWC's. The plate on my boat has the CE logo on it meeting the European standard, which is acceptable in Australia on these vessel types.

http://www.nmsc.gov.au/media/pages_media_files/files/faq_build_Jan11.pdf

Cheers

purnong
23-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the research BM
The hunt continues