PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody use an inline fuel pump to syphon fuel.

Lucky 1
20-11-2011, 09:38 PM
I am just looking for some ideas here.
I would like to use an inline fuel pump to transfer older fuel from my boat into the Landcruiser(which drinks it quite happily). Does anybody else do this ?
Where can I get an online fuel pump?
I am also thinking of putting a 3 way tap onto the fuel line and attaching the ancillary line with pump only when I want to transfer old fuel into my car, has anybody done this, or can see any problems in doing this?

ShaneC
20-11-2011, 09:55 PM
I am assuming you mean petrol?? If its diesel, there are some real good inline pumps around for about the $100 mark. But if you are dealing with petrol I wouldnt recommend them

Lucky 1
20-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Yes, I mean petrol. Thanks for the advice Shane.

cgibbo308
20-11-2011, 10:08 PM
nothing wrong with in line fuel pumps at all. some efi engines use them. you can get them from most repco and supercheap stores.
the factory one in my old bmw bike died some years ago and was replaced with a holden in line pump. the only time they can be a worry is when the tank is empty and you start sucking air. i was bench testing mine when she sucked air and turned into a flame thrower :|
just stand there and soon as it just about empty stop it :)

ShaneC
20-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Very true mate....

cgibbo308
20-11-2011, 11:47 PM
ever notice when a fuel pump turns into a flame thrower, none of ya mates hang round???

kizza1
21-11-2011, 06:29 PM
dont use a high pressure pump as it will fail. you need a lift pump.
at work we use a facet pump (squareish repco lift pump) it usualy runs at 20ltrs in 11 minutes. they last for years and years. usually between $40-80. never had them throw flames though.

ShaneC
21-11-2011, 07:27 PM
I think its when the pump is exposed to air that causes the flame. The pumps are in no way intrinsically safe and the fumes are much more flammable than petrol as a liquid. Hence why the fumes quickly turn to flame once the 'spark' in the pump is exposed to the fumes. Doesnt happen when immersed.

I have a Johnson in line pump that I use as a back up bilge pump attached to 10 ft of hose to pump out underfloor water if need be. Can be used to pump water and diesel at about 140L/m. Cost a bit over a hundy I think. But it does say never to use with petrol, but I think they make one suitable for petrol but its expensive. Better off jigger rigging something else up from a cheap car part.. IMHO of course

Axl
21-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Some one on a thread a while ago mentioned an old electric fuel pump from the wreckers for this very job ill see if I can find it.

Axl
21-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Here it is fishfeeder mentions it might be worth sending him a PM.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?179558-How-much-metho-in-the-tank

captain rednut
21-11-2011, 08:25 PM
12volt inline cheap pumps are safe and reliable and will do that job for you very well.
cheers cr

Lucky 1
21-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Call me a little paranoid, but I am a little nervous about pointing a "flame thrower" into the petrol tank of my land cruiser. I might however send fishfeeder a PM as Axl has recommended.

cormorant
22-11-2011, 12:17 AM
I have used a cheap flo n go siphon pump for years with a bit of extra tube attached. As long as the tank on the boat is higher than the cruiser or into a jerrycan first. Mates boat has a bar in the filler to stop siphoning so check it is possible first. He just has a length of fuel line that he connects onto the connector that goes to the motor and primes with the bulb and empties to the car. Not fast and he regrets ever showing his teenagers how to do it as it seems they don't get enough pocket money and still need fuel!!! Wouldn't be the only time he has left it siphoning as it is slow and overflowed the car tank by accident.

The elec pumps for diesel die when used for petrol as they have the wrong sort of rubber for the impeller or seals. Sparking putting on and off alligator clips to a battery with fume about is always a worry or non flame protected cheap swiches.

fishfeeder
22-11-2011, 10:57 AM
After reading the above statement about flame throwers from fuel pumps I should be charcoal !!!
I have used a home made setup consisting of a 12volt electric fuel pump from the wreckers I scored for a few $$ and some fuel pipe and about 5m of wire with some alligator clips I used to hook straight to the battery.
We used to use it to fill Jerry cans from vehicles because we got sick of drinking petrol when sucking on the siphoning hose.. Never had a problem and only took a few min and the Jerry was full...

I don't know if its the safest setup around but it worked.

Cheers
Brett

Lucky 1
22-11-2011, 07:13 PM
This is the exact set up I was thinking of. My problem is the fuel tank is low to the ground. Using the fuel bulb as a syphon takes ages, and it tends to stop flowing all the time.

After reading the above statement about flame throwers from fuel pumps I should be charcoal !!!
I have used a home made setup consisting of a 12volt electric fuel pump from the wreckers I scored for a few $$ and some fuel pipe and about 5m of wire with some alligator clips I used to hook straight to the battery.
We used to use it to fill Jerry cans from vehicles because we got sick of drinking petrol when sucking on the siphoning hose.. Never had a problem and only took a few min and the Jerry was full...

I don't know if its the safest setup around but it worked.

Cheers
Brett

cormorant
22-11-2011, 07:28 PM
On a car your battery is 4m away from the fuel and vapor and is not in a enclosed area as you have the bonnet up-air circulates.. Old car fuel pumps were external to the tank and modern one are in tank as they use the fuel for cooling and work at no pessure with a max head of 3 foot. Just enough to get to the pressure pump on the motor and recirc back to the tank. In a boat you are in a bowl full of vapor with a battery in the middle of it worst case. Done carefully with a bit of common sense most things are pretty safe but grabbing any pump could be a accident I think that is all anyone was pointing out. .

Axl
22-11-2011, 08:21 PM
On a car your battery is 4m away from the fuel and vapor and is not in a enclosed area as you have the bonnet up-ai circuas.. Old car fuel pumps were external to the tank and modern one are in tank as they use the fuel for cooling and work at no pessure with a max head of 3 foot. Just enough to get to the pressure pump on the motor and recirc back to the tank. In a boat you are in a bowl full of vapor with a battery in the middle of it worst case. Done carefully with a bit of common sense most things are pretty safe but grabbing any pump could be a accident I think that is all anyone was pointing out. .

Well said cormorant having worked in the oil and gas industry for the last 22 years I have seen fires come from places where one would think they shoulnt have but they have. If the conditions are right, and they need to be just that, static electrictity can cause all sorts off issues believe me. Moving a hydrocarbon in this way could be very dangerous if not a disaster. Static builds up from movement whether it be yours or the product please treat this stuff with the respect it deserves and tread carefully. The hull of a boat will fill up with vapour very quickly given the right conditions.

deckie
22-11-2011, 10:03 PM
What axl said, i worked offshore oil/gas and as one of 2 company men responsible for 75 others it was always just as much about safety as geology..STATIC IS A KILLER. We were always just as anal about static as things like H2S.
Can be as simple as what u are wearing or the weather...stuff you really dont want to concern yourself with. Its how most petrol station fires happen.

mal555
23-11-2011, 08:00 AM
Can be used to pump water and diesel at about 140L/m.

Sounds like a lot? I was told normal fore-court bowsers deliver around 40 LPM, fast delivery truck diesel bowser pumps around 70 LPM and tanker truck pumps can wind up to 110 LPM.

trip01
30-06-2012, 05:54 AM
Tks for the thread Lucky 1.
I wanted to do the same with electric. Used to syphon fuel from 45l tanks on Mac to 20l jerry's then put in mum's VS. My cruiser's diesel.
I have recently purchased 2 x SS 25l tanks. Soon to get 2 x 22l Hulk plastic tanks for other side. These size tanks I can take out of the boat then transfer old fuel to car. Decided to go for one of these syphon devices for this job...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Portable-Car-Siphon-Pump-Hose-Gas-Oil-Liquid-Syphon-Transfer-Pump-/120814627439?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c211cea6f

Here is my choice of plastic tank...
http://www.biasboating.com.au/product_p/7376.htm
2 of these fit in the well that accommodes the 45l.
The old 45l plastic tanks stayed in the boat and cracked from the sun. (4yrs) These smaller plastic tanks, I can take out. Leave in one SS tank for weekend use.

Kind Rgds
Dave