PDA

View Full Version : Off Scarby/Moreton/Caloundra

TREVELLY
19-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Went out from Scarborough this morning to be at Hutchies at sunrise trolling and trolled for two hours for nothing. Started as the only boat but was quickly one of 7 then went wider to bottom bounce for a couple of throw back pearlies.

With the popularity of Hutchies and no where else was wondering if a report somewhere of hoos or macks for there?

Then went to Caloundra for rest of day and caught two pearlies and a cod - PBs so happy with that.

Post pics in morning.

Saw enormous amounts of fish on sounder and no bites at all.

Must have travelled about 200km and was out there from 4am till dark for three fish all caught in about 30 minutes at 11.30am - cant figure that.

Not many out there fishing. Water was 24.5 deg no real current and no baitfish or bird activity seen. Plenty of baitfish on sounder at Hutchies though but lots trolling and saw nothing caught but doesn't mean nothing was caught.

Anyone else get out and have something to share?

I am off to bed - so tired.

Enjoyed the day despite many hours of no bites at all - I only caught two fish - but I am happy with the pearlie all the same.

Scalem
19-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Trev, you might have seen me at Hutchies, white Yalta, blue bimini?

We trolled then threw some plastics around, then trolled a few loops, stopped over nice shows on the sounder, ripped some heavy jigheads up with Zman paddle tails up, nothing! The skirted lure used caught Dollies this week ( not me, my deckie) and the Xrap usually will pick something up. Nada. Noone else trolling seemed to be doing any good either. Give it a few weeks.....

Scalem

outwide1
19-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Hey Trev,did you happen to run over a couple of lures running out the back of a centre console today?
Mick.

TimD
19-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Trev, you might have seen me at Hutchies, white Yalta, blue bimini?

We trolled then threw some plastics around, then trolled a few loops, stopped over nice shows on the sounder, ripped some heavy jigheads up with Zman paddle tails up, nothing! The skirted lure used caught Dollies this week ( not me, my deckie) and the Xrap usually will pick something up. Nada. Noone else trolling seemed to be doing any good either. Give it a few weeks.....

Scalem

Problem was you didn't have the lucky charm deckie on board :P

cheers tim :)

TREVELLY
20-11-2011, 06:23 AM
HI Scalem - yes saw your boat. We tried same as you vertical jigging the baitballs but nothing as well. Was the dolly caught at or near Hutchies or well wide.

Outwide - No - I did not run in close behind any boat trolling or otherwise out there - am very aware of this and would not appreciate any boat in close behind my boat either - at $25 to $35 a lure and 4 out, and it doesn't take much to be considerate. I did have one boat come in close behind my boat and cut across the path but that was a trawler - I wasn't happy either - seemed like arrogance rather than ignorance.

Tim, you may be right - need the knack - when the pearlies shut down we changed from drifting to anchor up with a buley trail and light weighted pillies and SPs but they were shut down and that was that. If you found the same school you had just caught fish from and they had shut down then you could drag a bait through them for zero or the lightest peck as they were more telling the bait to go away and that's all.

TimD
20-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Tim, you may be right - need the knack - when the pearlies shut down we changed from drifting to anchor up with a buley trail and light weighted pillies and SPs but they were shut down and that was that. If you found the same school you had just caught fish from and they had shut down then you could drag a bait through them for zero or the lightest peck as they were more telling the bait to go away and that's all.

Yeah i think the Northerlies are making it hard to put a feed together, least you got a few nice pearlies for your efforts :thumbsup:

cheers tim :)

outwide1
20-11-2011, 09:56 AM
All good Trev,a mate of mine lost $150 worth of lures yesterday and when he discribed the boat
yours fitted the discription.Just had to ask mate.
Cheers and nice pearlie.
Mick

Captain Incredible
20-11-2011, 02:57 PM
This has been one long hard week at the office. Pearlies & most other reefies have had lock-jaw from Wide Caloundra at least to Cape Moreton. And talking to John Gooding & a few others it has been equally tough south to Point Lookout. There have been a couple of really good individual fish taken including a 20+ kg Ambo on a jig by Simon & a really solid Samson fish caught & released yesterday under skipper Noel Day. Oherwise scratching rather than catching has been the order of the day with mainly Parrot, Moses, Trag & the very rare Pearly in the tub.
There is a really big southerly blow forecast for later in the week. Hopefully the bottom fishing will liven up after that. I am with you Trevelly. Its hard work at the moment.

Finnatical
20-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Saw you guys out at Hutchies too. We only had one hit from a tiny tuna. That was it on the trolling front. Sounded like there were a couple of fish caught off the shelf on the troll but seemed very quiet and not many boats around the Cape which was surprising.

davecc
20-11-2011, 06:05 PM
We were out there on saturday for a inter club comp from kawana,,(fish was palagics) We powered down from mooloolaba as we had heard there were some there, First lines went in the water at about 6.45 and we pulled 5 lures including 2 hard bodies and 3 skirts for about 3 hours, We went north south, east west around flinders, wide to the 80 metre line and up around hutchies, All for 1 strike just north of hutchies. Ran back up to the mooloolaba 10 mile for nothing to, Plenty of bait on the sounder every where but nothing waiting to play the game. One member did get 2 good size dollies up north reef way, 99cm and 102cm to the fork of the tale..
I did see a few of you guys out there, We were in a 6 mtr allison called MY TIME
Cheers till next time

PinHead
20-11-2011, 08:13 PM
at least you blokes can get out for a fish..I cannot even go for a fish yet.

Angla
20-11-2011, 09:57 PM
I went from Murphy's to Caloundra with the new Simrad 12 inch sounder and could only find the bottom. Stopped on a couple of little shows and pulled a 35 Red emporer (throwback)
Then got a grassy sweetlip and also 1 parrot. Went to pull the pin at 2.30pm when a Cobia free swam up to the boat. Fed him a few pillies which he wolfed down then 1 with a couple of 4/0's in it. Didn't he take off quick as when I gave it a good lodging. 10 Kilo's of green Cobia at the boat is real bad on 20 lb line even with the 60lb trace. He went ballistic straight out then left and finally down where I could feel the reef and bang. all over in 60 seconds.
Took my 2 fish and went home.

Cheers
Chris

fisho8
21-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Well done on the Pearlies Trev looked to be a nice day out there on the water mate at least you bought home something for your efforts rather than nothing.:)

TREVELLY
22-11-2011, 05:18 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Jon and I went out again Sunday at civilised o'clock and trolled from Flinders down past Shallow Tempest out to Deep Tempest for zip.

We then fished Deep tempest over shows of many schools of fish both scattered and balled up for very few bites.

Just before dark went back towards Shallow Tempest to the wreck and drifted it a number of times for two small throwback pearlies then to Shallow Tempest.

We drifted on the reef for a zillion aquarium sized RTE, grassy sweetlips etc - great nursery. Then we went just off the reef to the NE and drifted for a keeper squire and I had a play with one fish that was for my money a quality snapper but the hooks pulled after a short while - a real bummer to drop the only real solid feeling fish hooked in two days - had a twin hook set up of mustard tarpon chemical sharp hooks - they are usually very good at holding - oh well that's fishing.

We anchored up and set up a pilly burley trail and floated pillies down it for over an hour for not one touch - should have just kept drifting. Took half an hour and four attempts to get the anchor to hold in the wind and the reef did hold the anchor - infact it still holds the anchor!

The wind was pretty full on from NE by then pushing 20-25knots so at 7pm in pitch dark we did a slow return to Scarby. Across the bay was the slowest and roughest trip I have done the boat was dragging back to 19kph then surfing 35kph - I did not realise it so rough except Jon as falling about the back a bit and getting wet - when we got back to the ramp and saw the bushes turning themselves inside out I would say it was more like 25-30 knots - strange as seabreeze was showing a 13knot max wind.

Anyway we were good to go out again Monday but we chose a beer by the pool as the much preferred option.

Had a good few days and can't say we didn't try.

Anxiously awaiting the macks :)

jason p
22-11-2011, 01:50 PM
cheers for the report trev.

congrats on the three pb's a shame that you could'nt fill the esky but thats fishing ay, or boating any way:P

did i understand right, that you lost your anchor? BUGGER:(. a new peice of reef to explore next time lol.

mate i think you made the right choice to stay home on the sunday it was still blowin from the north, although that box full could of been at that next bit of reef.:D;).

im sure the swim was a pleasant change from the pounding 25 plus kn and was that followed by a good feed of fresh fish?

what part of caloundra did you get to? did you stop at any of my marks ?? looking at heading out that way my self in a week or two. hope to see some macks around in the next few weeks.

thought the globe was warming:-? nearly dec, snaps still on the chew, and no great numbers of macks yet::) although the water has warmed .5 deg in the last two weeks and these northerlies will only make it warmer8-).

cheers jp

TREVELLY
22-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Hi Jason,

The cobe wreck mark you gave me was about 20km north of where I was and I had 1/3 of a tank left for a 55km return to Scarby so I dare not risk it. We went to Wild Banks FADs and about 10-15km North - about 16km ESE of Caloundra through the desert from mainland out to Caloundra Reef - just a couple of pinnacles on the GPS maps and fossicing about for baitfish on small rises in the "desert". I will have a good look about the places you gave me when i go out from Mooloolaba in the not too distant future. Just need some mack reports to encourage me.

We were out Saturday and Sunday - Sunday 7pm till 10pm was pretty ugly and yes I did leave an anchor behind in 38m of water at Shallow Tempest. I have just ordered a Sarca replacement from Bias. We spent yesterday arvo by the pool with a beer after trying to get a new anchor from a few places after cleaning up the boat and gear.

Water temps on Saturday were 24.5 and on Sunday 24.2 dropping to 23.8 after sunset. Probably warmer a little further out.

jason p
22-11-2011, 02:58 PM
hey trev i checked out that wreck mark whilst i was out the cape. on the way out there it was flat sandy bottom all the way, i watching the feul gauge very carefully as i still had another day to go, got out there in this dessert and behold a nice show on the bottom in the middle of nothin lol. wasnt much life on it but i can see it being a nice spot at times, i put about 4 drifts over it and nutter, just the same as every were else i tried that day. there was another boat working about .5nm ene of there, i should of checked it out but as i said feul conservation was a priority.

cheers jp