PDA

View Full Version : Update on Yammie 150HP 4 st Alarm

Dignity
17-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Went out last weekend and everything worked perfectly, got home and flushed the motor and the alarm went off again. This time the overheat sign flashed but the temp gauge was indicating well within the operating range and the telltale was operating quite well but I believe that is not necessarily a good indicator. Oh well off to the dealers again, maybe a sticky sensor or something but am perplexed as last time the laptop showed nothing, although they did say that an overheat would not show as an error code which I find strange.

Cav(J.C.)
18-11-2011, 08:23 AM
hi Dignity,
Dont understand. I have a 150 four stroke Yammy, and I flush it with a hose to a connection on the side of the motor. This connection is a small hose which disconnects by hand, and takes a standard male garden hose connection with a male "push on fitting" which you click your garden hose to. The fresh water actually back flushes through the motor and cooling system removing salt and rubbish. You DO NOT run the motor during flushing.
If it is the same motor as mine---Approx 2.5 years old---250 hrs, the motor should NOT be flushed with "Ears" and the motor running. There would not be sufficient water to fill all of the cooling passages in a large engine which could lead to spot heating, so setting off the alarm.
Hope this helps,
Cav (J.C.)

Dignity
19-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Thanks Cav, it is interesting but the mechanic said the exact opposite, don't use the hose connection, I use a big bin with the leg sitting fully immersed in water. The first time the alarm went off was I doing 6 knots from Mooloolaba Coast Guard to the harbour entrance so I ssuepect that the sensor/sender itself might be faulty.

webby
20-11-2011, 08:50 AM
Had the same problem with my 130, sensors (heat) were going off, eventually they replaced them, due to a fault.

ShaneC
20-11-2011, 08:58 AM
Dignity,

Can I ask if the alarm resets itself after you turn off the key?? Reason being is that the same alarm came on in one of my motors the other day while we were slow trolling. Turned it off, quick check to make sure I hadnt picked something up ran on the other motor for a few minutes then it started no worries, pumping heaps of water and never did it again. Is that how your drama started???

Dignity
21-11-2011, 05:01 AM
Shane, the first time it went off we were on the water and the alarm stayed on even when the key was turned off but the gauges didn't register overheat. The second time was while flushing and this time it did register overhear but stopped as soon as the key was turned off.

Stressless
21-11-2011, 06:53 AM
Went out last weekend and everything worked perfectly, got home and flushed the motor and the alarm went off again. This time the overheat sign flashed but the temp gauge was indicating well within the operating range and the telltale was operating quite well but I believe that is not necessarily a good indicator. Oh well off to the dealers again, maybe a sticky sensor or something but am perplexed as last time the laptop showed nothing, although they did say that an overheat would not show as an error code which I find strange.

Have a similar glitch with my 225.

I posted in wrong forum category, link is: http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?179622-Yamaha-225-Overheat-Alarm

Be interested in finding out what caused your issue.

Apparently if the over-heat alarm is able to re-set itself then it doesn't show as a fault???

Dignity
21-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Stressless, I was told an overheat alarm doesn't show itself at all as it isn't an error code, can't figure that one out as if it shows on the gauge then it should register, after all the laptop could tell me how many hours I spent in Idle mode and through the various rev ranges. Once I get it sorted out I will let you know.