PDA

View Full Version : Need GREEN Frogs

fishfeeder
17-11-2011, 01:42 PM
OK this has nothing to do with Fishing so stop stressing, there not for bait !!!! ::)

The better half has always wanted a Frog habitat at home and I have looked into it and I can catch my own and don't need a License as long as there on private land and I don't sell them.

So if anyone has any small Green frogs on there land around Brisbane can they let me know. These frogs will be treated unbelievable well and have a large home (not a fishtank) which I will be making.

Any information will be fantastic and I have tried to find a breeder but have not had any success.

Cheers
Brett

Lucky_Phill
17-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Brett, I think you should google this issue.

My mother got onto a group in Brisbane that started to breed these critters and distribute them to homes.

I even think the matter hit ACA or Today Tonight ?????

cheers LP

sporty1
17-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Mate of mine in Ipswich has lots of them in his big indoor frog habitat, he would willingly give you as many as you need. message me if you have no offers closer to home.
Murray

Chong
17-11-2011, 03:44 PM
we got heaps up here, could post a couple down...:)

STUIE63
17-11-2011, 03:50 PM
get a spray bottle of dettol and go out at night and spray any toads you see after a while the green frogs will come back . while you have toads about you will struggle to keep numbers of green frogs

PinHead
17-11-2011, 05:52 PM
forget the frogs..we have a pond in the front yard..some native frog inhabitated it..well..the old girl next door went off her brain over the noise..I could write an epic about the carry on and police and legacy etc etc etc...worst thing I ever did digging that pond.

jason p
17-11-2011, 05:53 PM
lol those toads hate that dettol, its an instant melt down.

your welcome to the ones in my down pipe that keep waking me up :)

jp

Chong
17-11-2011, 09:31 PM
i got these two sharing my water feature at club chill8-)8-)

upstart
17-11-2011, 09:49 PM
My brother had a couple of old concrete laundry tubs for his fish pond/frog ecosystem. He had one of those bug zapper lights mounted above it which ensured tons of bugs for the frogs. The cane toads couldn't jump up to the water so that was good. But every now and then a big carpet snake would slither up from the gully and knock off a few frogs. Cool to watch.

GES
18-11-2011, 01:38 AM
Fishfeeder
My wife has the same hobby yours is trying to establish. You will find that the green frogs are very territorial and if you put adult frogs in your pond from somewhere else, they will, most likely, leave your place. You are better off getting the frog eggs, letting the tadpoles develop and change into adult frogs in your environment. When the eggs change into tadpoles, you can feed them by boiling lettuce leaves, cooling them and then putting the leaves in the pond with the tadpoles. they get fat real quick on that diet. When the frogs develop, they don't need feeding. They get into your yard and feed themselves as long as you have a bit of greenery around your garden for them to hide and hunt in.
This time of year is when the frogs breed and the eggs are available to transfer into your pond.
Lets know how you go.
GES

finga
18-11-2011, 06:37 AM
Oh gees. I got all sad and then excited and then disappointed.
To start with I love green frogs. And I love red ones too.
At the start I thought there was a shortage of green frogs and some poor bugger was going through GFDT's (Green Frog Delirium tremens) and then read it was about keeping 'habitats' for them and breeding them.
I'd love to know how to breed them. At the moment I just buy them in boxes and shove them in the fridge to keep fresh (and I like them chewy and hard).
I thought this was about some new, great way to keep frogs fresh.

http://www.sunshineconfectionery.com.au/images/Green%20Frogs.jpg

PS: Green tree frogs are really cool too. I actually sleep better when they're croaking about the place. But the one at mum and dad's place scares the begeesus out of me. He lives in the 'outside' dunny bowl.

fishfeeder
18-11-2011, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the replies,
GES, I was thinking of getting the Eggs and going from there, But with my luck I would find Toad eggs and then the girlfriend wouldn't let me get ride of them, so we would end up with pet toads !!!!

I had a chat on a frog Forum and they recon if you get Frogs that have been together all the life they will be fine to move to there own place. The frogs won't be outdoors but kept in a large purpose built Habitat inside, with even a running water feature....

Here is the last pond I made, the photos are crappy but you get the idea.

Dignity
19-11-2011, 01:57 PM
fishfeeder, that looks great, just beware that when you do get some eggs you don't get any for striped marsh frogs, they will drive you totally nuts. When they get randy they sit there all night and go , bok.......bok........bok.......bok. It is worse than a dripping tap as their bok.......bok........bok.......bok goes through double brick walls and it is constant. It sounds a lot like those walk signals at traffic lights when in idle mode but a little sharper and louder. DO NOT GET THEM FOR EVERYONES SAKE. Rocket frogs will invade your pond if they are around and they are quite chirpy, it is surprising how loud they are for such a little frog.

mitch92
19-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Must admit my first thoughts were what finga posted