PDA

View Full Version : Break Sea Spit with the missus and a couple mates

marvin
16-11-2011, 11:45 PM
The Hervey Bay Game Fishing tournament was cancelled, so it was sad faces all around with my crew.:'( Then the phone rang, a mate wanted to take a run over the Spit from Bundy in his 34 foot Black Watch and invited myself and Margie for a day out. The Gods were looking down on me...
We left the Port marina at 0330hrs, setting course for the top of the spit some 55 miles east north east of the river mouth. The wind was blowing 12-15knots all night and had produced a 1.5mt swell directly head on to the direction of our path of travel.
We purred along for 3 hours at 17 knots and arrived on the eastern side of the spit around 0645hrs. Lines went in with a spread of Tropic Angler 6 inch skirts and a Sebile bibbless lure to mix it up abit.
The skipper and other crewy were keen on getting a yellow fin tuna for the raw fish with soy sauce specialty that they enjoy when they can get them,,, so to my YFT mark we trolled and bingo, the first YFT took the Sebile and Margie landed a nice 3kg bullet.
With the boat hosting a 2 kw transducer on the sounder, the bottom showed up in 55mts of water like a movie show, and the pinicales that I had found on previous trips became the next item worthy of further investigation. A couple of baits were dropped on a engine controlled slow drift, producing hussar, coronation trout, RTE, mouri cod and a couple squire. Happy days, dinner sorted. (with the YFT as entree of course).
The need to hear a drag was calling us, so we pulled in the bottom bashing lines and set up the troll spread again, we headed in closer to the spit north east of the 13 mile eastside crossing mark and managed to hook up a bull mahi mahi that jumped, and performed like an X-factor entrant.
After the fun and games of the dollie, we headed into the spit bommie and Margie back on strike managed to score a 110cm trevally that took a Tropic Angler surface skirt lure meant for a spanish. One happy lady after the great fight in shallow water.
Back out towards the yellow fin and wahoo marks was the next move for a wahoo hoepfully but a 6kg mac tuna took the short corner pink TA, giving us some fresh bait for another quick bottom bash.
Margie hooked up first drop and pulled a nice sized Amberjack from the depths. A happy wife is a happy life....;D
After a couple more reef fish came aboard and secured 73704another nights tea, the lures returned to the water for the last run and a bigger Yellow fin hooked up coming in at around 7kg. The raw fish eaters 73705on the boat were near dancing a jig..:).
By the time we had covered most of the usual haunts for a billie without a sail or black showing any interest 73706in our offerings, we turned for home and enjoyed a cold beverage on the near glassy calm sea trip back to Bundy. We were back on dry land by 5pm wit73709h a good feed of reef fish and some great memories of a day trip to the Break Sea Spit. We would have scored some good pints for the fish we caught 73710if we were in the comp, which is reasuring to us that the fish are still there and our methods employed again this year on the spit can still put us 73708onto a few fish.
Hopefully we can slip in another trip or two before Christmas and add a tagged billie to our annual list of species... Cheers Kev and Margie.73707

cuzzamundi
17-11-2011, 01:15 AM
Great report, mate! Looks like the Mrs had a ball, which is always a bonus. How was the current out there?

Cuzza

TREVELLY
17-11-2011, 05:20 AM
Well you had success in almost everything you tried and great weather to boot - sounds like a very enjoyable outing.

Thanks for sharing.

I am surprised no spaniards or hoo yet.

outta line
17-11-2011, 05:58 AM
well done what a gr8 day out... doing it in style... it must of been tuff on the black watch lol...
cheers jealous mick

marvin
17-11-2011, 11:40 AM
The current was there, had to click the boat into reverse a few times to slow the drift down, fishable but only just with a 10 ounce dropper lead and I used two number 10 ball sinkers on my rod in the 55mt areas, had to keep letting line out where ever we tried, when we fished the electric reels in 110 mts, the counter was registering 145 on the initial drop with 80lb braid and a big lead. We bottom fished on the top of the tide and then trolled the start of run out thinking the bait and water rushing over the spit would make the billies hungry. Did not see a wahoo or spanish, but were trolling skirts at 6.7knots and not the jet heads at 12 for the hoo.... But we have picked up the odd speedster using the usual troll spread. next time... Sittin on the bridge and on the back deck of the black watch was hard to take allright Mick... Some one has to do it I guess... :-)

Smithy
17-11-2011, 07:38 PM
What's the boat called Kev? Is it a Deep V or an older Black Watch? Motors?

I'd say Margie actually caught a high fin amberjack or an almaco jack looking at that pic. They are a big shorter and deeper in the body with a tall dorsal. Could be a bonus species for top club. Normal ajs in this next of the woods are dime a dozen.

marvin
17-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Not sure on the donks smithy, the boat is 3 and a half years old, uses 95 litres an hour at 20-22 knots, not sure on the name of it either, owned by Graeme Harriman who works at Bundaberg Toyota as manager. He bought it when it was 11months old about 2.5yrs ago and paid $395 000 I think. He said it would be worth half that now?? has auto pilot and furuno electronics, genset, aircond, shower toilet, the engines loadly whistle when the throttle goes forward, jumps onto the plane quickly for the boat size. Maybe a pic will help id the boat. thanks for the tips on the AJ's. Kev.73819