PDA

View Full Version : Honda BF90 Throttle cable adjustment

Brightsbane
16-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Hi all,

My Honda 90 (carby) starts and idles very nicely but since getting the boat a couple of weeks ago I've only had it on the water once and the I felt it should have been a bit faster at WOT. Now I know why.

I've noticed that when I move the throttle into WOT it doesn't seem to open the linkages all the way. If I disconnect the throttle cable at the engine I can manually push the linkage a bit further until it 'slots' into the WOT position.

My assumption would be that I need to adjust the cable but if I do that, will this throw out the idle speed etc?

I'm not surprised as the previous owner installed the new cables with one of the engine side fittings the wrong way around causing reverse to jam (thanks Spaniard King for help with that).

Unfortunately I didn't have enough sense to monitor the RPM's when I had her out but I'll do that when I get her out this weekend.

Brightsbane
17-11-2011, 07:19 PM
After adjusting the threaded fittings on the cables ends at the engine and the control box it almost goes into WOT but still not quite. It is idling at approx. 1100 RPM, does this sound about right?

Noelm
18-11-2011, 07:05 AM
sounds a bit high to me, Ithink you need to have the whole setup adjusted as per the service manual, or get it done by a dealer who knows these engines, it should be a pretty simple affair to adjust the idle/throttle/pick up points, but never having ever played with a model like yours, it is just a guess.

Brightsbane
19-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Thanks Noel, it turns out that what I thought were new cables were not so new cables. Replaced cables and all is working nicely.