PDA

View Full Version : Decided to upgrade my Yammy 115 2 stroke...to a....Yammy 115 2 stroke!

ozscott
14-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Mine is a 93 and Im going to a 99 with the same hours - 300. Beautifully maintained 99 model in mint condition. Now thats an upgrade!

I was made an offer for a swap over that was too good to pass up.

Apart from being a saltwater series motor they had some tweaks over the years since mine including lower noise, carby tweaks etc. Its also 5 inches longer leg, so I am jacking the transom. I am looking forward to the water test and I will report back.

Cheers

Dan5
14-11-2011, 10:28 PM
Mate they are a great engine..........i can see why you would do a trade up.

Dan

Chimo
15-11-2011, 06:53 AM
Hi Oz

Maybe talk to Ian about a plate. He did one for the quick yellow same brand boat as yours on here too. Do you have his no?

Cheers
Chimo

ozscott
15-11-2011, 07:08 AM
Hi Chimo - no I havent got his number mate. Thanks for the offer, but my mate with the Merc dealership is using a bloke for it, that he uses regularly. I have seen some of this work and it looks good.

If anyone wants a nicely preserved Yammy 115 that is coming off my boat (and is still on currently) then PM me with your details and I will pass them onto my mate - my boat is at the dealership now. The trim and tilt works but does not hold the tilt without the latch and also slowly falls off the trim if not under way (but still trims up and down nicely) and on the last outing it has crap in the float bowls evident at higher RPM - blocking jets, so she needs a carb clean. This happened a couple of years ago and the carb clean gets it back running beautifully. Its an older motor, and it will not last forever, but in my view its a good buy as long as the buyer knows you just cant tell with the older motors how much life they have left in them.

It wont be mine to sell, but my mate doesnt want much at all for the old motor.

Cheers

Steeler
15-11-2011, 07:22 AM
You do realize Oz that real upgrade would have been a black one !!!.

ozscott
15-11-2011, 07:47 AM
Haha...Steeler my mate is a Merc dealer, so its a pretty funny situation, although he seems to be servicing more and more Yammy's. There is a high regard there for the V4 Yammy. If I were going to a 150 or higher then the Merc opti would definitely get a look in but I just cant go past a nice saltwater V4 Yam!

Cheers

Jarrah Jack
15-11-2011, 07:09 PM
It will be very interesting reading your thoughts once you get used to the 2 stroke. Once you do away with the noise and smell....well we'll see.

Steeler's right, those black Zuk's have that special thing about them.

Dan5
15-11-2011, 07:26 PM
It will be very interesting reading your thoughts once you get used to the 4 stroke. Once you do away with the noise and smell....well we'll see.

Steeler's right, those black Zuk's have that special thing about them.

He's trading apples for apples here bud..........another 115 v4 two stroke!..........

We had two on some work boats over a Bathurst island 10 years ago.........could not kill em.......they can pretty much run on a 50/50 water ratio!

Smooth with heaps of grunt for a 115 IMO........I had the 90 3cyl yammie and it was a noisey bastard compared to the v4.

Dan

ozscott
15-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Jj you're killing me! It's as Dan says above. No 4 strike for me matey. Cheers

ozscott
15-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Dan they box above their weight mate for sure. No way a 115 Merc 3 cyl would push my Vag like these tigers. Cheers

Jarrah Jack
15-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Jj you're killing me! It's as Dan says above. No 4 strike for me matey. Cheers

There you go Oz all fixed. ( notice the edit )

Dan... I had a V4 yammi, yep it was smooth and very powerful but the fuel range from a tote tank was a bit disconcerting.

Dan5
15-11-2011, 07:48 PM
There you go Oz all fixed. ( notice the edit )

Dan... I had a V4 yammi, yep it was smooth and very powerful but the fuel range from a tote tank was a bit disconcerting.

Yes i could imagine how fast you could make a tote tank dissapear before your very eyes!

We ran a 200 HPDI off of a tote tank once........for a laugh......didn't even make it to 6mile bouy from cullen bay.......:o.........wow where did that go?

Dan

Crocodile
16-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Hello Ozscott,

Good luck with the change.
This is a wonderful opportunity to make a fair comparison between 2 and 4 stroke.
Please keep us informed and supply us with as much scientific data as possible.
Things like accelleration, ability to hold plane at lower revs, cruisng rpm's, noise levels etc.

Steeler
16-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Not quite he is gaining 5 extra inches of performance:-X, somebody will be pleased;D;)

ozscott
16-11-2011, 03:27 PM
This is turning out to be a funny thread. A few people think the thread title is a misprint :). Croc mate if I had gone to an F115 my boat would have to be reclassified as a displacement hull. I'm going 2 stroke v4 again but later model and saltwater series.

Steeler - no one ever complaIned of getting more shaft length. Cheers

Chimo
16-11-2011, 03:36 PM
What happened with the transom bins Oz?

C
C

ozscott
16-11-2011, 04:04 PM
CHimo mate I'm keeping it simple with 5 inches extra height. The boys cut the transom out today and tell me that the bearers under the floor are very solid and there is a foot of solid glass on the outer sides of the transom (wood is more in the centre). Plenty of solid glass to key it all into. They have cut from the outside. There is a cm of solid glass lining on the inside wall of the transom. These things really were well laid up.

All holes for fittings will be drilled oversized, epoxied and then drilled to size and sealed around the bolts. Then the transom will get sprayed to the corners. Should be sweet after detailing too.

It's like Christmas early. Can't wait to get it out with the new setup. Cheers

Chimo
16-11-2011, 05:04 PM
You are right about them being solid.

I saw on the Haines site that they are now injecting the correct non water soaking up not petrol affected foam into the two outer bouyancy chambers. Would it be worth getting the Haines crew to wack some in ours to update them. Wonder what they would charge and if it is worth it?
What do you and other original Seafarer owners think?

C
C

Jarrah Jack
16-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Was there any rot found in the transom Oz? I heard that even with rot the transoms remain solid. Pity other builders weren't the same.

ozscott
16-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Jarra,

The bearers under the floor are very solid and there is a foot of solid glass on the outer sides of the transom (wood is more in the centre). Plenty of solid glass to key it all into. They have cut from the outside. There is a cm of solid glass lining on the inside wall of the transom..

The transom had absolutely no flex even jumping or hauling on the fully tilted motor and no crows feet/stress fractures in the gelcoat. No one would have guessed. I have always loved this boat and the thickness of the glass, but not that I have seen the thickness in the transom and girders, and knowing how these boys are going to make most likely stronger than original in the transom area, its a keeper, for me, forever. I have no upgraditis I had with my Haines V163 which was too small and too tender at rest for my growing family. This old girl will take me through my kids growing up and then leaving the nest and will suit cruising around the bay and up north with my better half I think. For a night or two out its a good size. Hopefully this saltwater series will give me another 8-10 years with no problems and then I will see whats around. Very excited!

Cheers

Jarrah Jack
16-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Good on you Oz, very happy for you. I think I'm about to buy my last boat after finding the 16 too small but gee it goes well through the chop.

ozscott
16-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Thanks JJ - much appreciated matey.

Cheers

PS. Once I get her back I will post up some photographs.

Crocodile
16-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Hello Ozscott,

Oops!.

ozscott
16-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Your right Croc...many people may not be excited about my upgrade. I think it would be easy to think I was getting so excited I must have been going to a 4 stroke. :)

Cheers