PDA

View Full Version : early goldie trip

snodger77
13-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Headed out through te seaway at 3am with a mate desperate to get a monkey of his back with the last 3 outings for zip he was taking no chances by bringing every bait imaginable .
We got to my mark an found some good shows and decided to drift the current wasnt great but managable .
It was 7 before the first snap wad boated it fell victim to an sp and measured 65cm mucch to my mates digust ( die hard bait fisho) about 5 mins passed before i heard " mate could i borrow one of those soft plastic thingos"after paying him out muchly i abliged. ::) .
A very slow couple of hours followed i managed another snap just touching 60 cm and poor ray with only a couple of rock cod witch he said are good eating and took them home .( are they!?) i didnt give him to much curry ive been there before ( but never bad enough to take home rock cod!) flew home in great conditions. thanks marcus

i wil post pics soon!

Montague
18-11-2011, 12:50 PM
well as far as rock cod go they have provided the odd feed when nothing else boated for the day down south(narooma)... steamed or boiled they are not to bad really...arnt they known as" poor mans lobster"

nathank
18-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Red rockies are awsome eating down south Montague... I grew up and lived in Narooma for 25 years and they never went back... pretty sure they would be a different species up this way mate. And they are deffo know as poor mans lobster down south.
I do miss the Kingies down that way... and the southern blue season was off the charts this winter gone past!!!

lucee81
18-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Up in the NT the rock cod are good eating and also grow quite big, i wouldnt be calling it desperate to keep em.

nigelr
18-11-2011, 04:57 PM
No, me neither, IMHO the larger specimens are well worth the trouble to handle carefully, beautiful thick white fillets and very versatile.

snodger77
19-11-2011, 06:37 AM
thanks for the heads up i always seem to catch them and have always been told to throw em back maybe i should listen to me mate as he is a chef and should know what he is talking about .i wll definately give them a go next time.