PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Roberts as a Boat Designer?

Chimo
13-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Does anyone have knowledge or experience of boats designed by Bruce Roberts and built in Thailand out of fibreglass?

Thanks.

Cheers
Chimo

PS What about later power boat designs?

GBC
13-11-2011, 07:56 PM
The first part of your question is easy to answer - he's designed plenty of ocean going hulls which are well proven over thousands (millions?) of ocean miles, the 'spray' series (Josh Slocum's being the most noteable) will go down in history.
The second part - thai glass - NFI.

TheRealAndy
13-11-2011, 08:35 PM
There is a roberts 25 in the mangroves up cabbage tree creek, and that is the best place for it! Might be a solid boat, but they are the worst performing hull I have ever sailed on, also the ugliest. Not sure how this reflects on power boat design, but I would not go anywhere near anything with that name on now.

BTW. GBC. Josh Slocum was dead out at sea long before Bruce Roberts ever designed a boat!

Stuart
13-11-2011, 09:06 PM
I have read on some boat forums where some had taken legal action over some of his designs that they purchased and built. In fact I havnt read to many good reports about him, it may pay to do a search on his name.

Stu

GBC
14-11-2011, 05:07 AM
Bit smashed when I wrote that.
The 'slocum spray' is still being built and yes - the Man (Slocum) died in the 1800's or something, but the 11m Slocum design is still being replicated, probably most noteably by Mr Roberts' version starting from the 1970's. Someone mentions a spray these days and most would think Roberts before they think Slocum.
Ask around one of the owners groups for advice on the thai glass versions.

http://www.slocumspraysociety.asn.au/

Horse
14-11-2011, 05:46 AM
He designed some good hulls and a few not so good. Highlights would be his Roberts Longboats (designed by Barry Long) and the Sprays (designed by Slocum). We had a 36' Waverunner and it was not a bad hull.

arvor
14-11-2011, 10:12 AM
we had a roberts longboat fisherman version.and it did everything that the spec said .its all in the design .hull speed was only 8 knots but very efficient at that.at about 6knots you could see a wave trough start just aft of midships and rise at the stern giving forward motion with less power.round bilge gave a little rock but thats how it was.i did read a log of how a fella cruised from brisbane to port moresby.now thats not a bad run?
i can only comment on this boat but all was good if you understand what you are after.
good luck.gary