PDA

View Full Version : eays way to change gear leg oil

softplasticsdude79
13-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Hi All,

Thought id post in case some of you havnt thought of it,dont know why it took me years to finally ask the question in Super cheap -

Excuse me - Do you have a fluid transfer pump - yes sir over here for $10

i have struggled for years trying to squeeze fluid into my gear leg case.

Anyway enough said,here it is,$10 at super cheap autos,worth the money i reckon.

Adam

dnej
13-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Adam, so how do you get the tube to seal against the lower hole, so the oil can be pumped infrom the bottom. ?
David

softplasticsdude79
13-11-2011, 12:21 PM
David,

just held it with one hand,while i pumped with the other it also it came with adapters,and the fitted adaptor fitted the johnson 60hp perfectly,no loss at all,only in the switch to get the screw in,Emptied a 500ml bottle into the leg in 30secs flat.

absolutely brilliant.

Adam

fairpractice
13-11-2011, 12:21 PM
hi, no real special seal is needed...very low pressure. you can use a bit of fuel hose to fit or just wind the appropriate length of electrical tape on the in hose. guaranteed to work cheers john

dnej
13-11-2011, 12:25 PM
OK, so when the leg was full, and flowing out the top hole,how did you control the pump,which was fitted to the bottom hole, while you got the top screw fitted
David

softplasticsdude79
13-11-2011, 12:32 PM
pulled the pump,fitted bottom screw,had a sip of bourbon,then fitted top screw,fluid was flush to the top.Cant go wrong.

Jabba_
13-11-2011, 12:37 PM
SPD.. It works better if you fit and tighten the top screw first.. Then when you remove tube from the bottom hole, you wont spill as much fluid.

softplasticsdude79
13-11-2011, 12:55 PM
SPD.. It works better if you fit and tighten the top screw first.. Then when you remove tube from the bottom hole, you wont spill as much fluid.

thanx,yeah,didnt think,vacuum pressure,anyways,only spilt about a tablespoon,could still see fluid at the top.

Adam

dnej
13-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Thanks Adam. The bottle type squeeze method is the sssssss.Each time you squeeeze the bottle, you have to get more air into the bottle before the next squirt.

There is a clamp I believe, that you can put on the pump hose, that will hold the oil in place, while you put the top bung in.I recon a fish tank hose clamp might do.
David

cormorant
13-11-2011, 08:22 PM
evinrude dealers have been selling pumps with correct screw fitting for the bottom hole for as long as I can remember. I didn't realise anyone didn't use a pump!!!

As a hint always spend the 50 cents and put a new seal on the drain plugs as they will seal better . Using the latest version of box oils will also not seize your box if water gets in so worth teh extra coin.

Fed
14-11-2011, 07:10 AM
+1 comorant.
Mercury have had pumps for at least 40 years that I know of, they even come with the oil already in them.

lucee81
14-11-2011, 08:37 AM
I got one from Bias for about the same price and you can get screw adaptors to suit your motor...