PDA

View Full Version : Modern Fishing Photoshop!

MudRiverDan
13-11-2011, 09:38 AM
Bought a Modern Fishing magazine yesterday and did not really think it was any good.

Most of the fish looked like they were pulled off a charter boat, you know the usual stuff, GT, and pelagics.

Then there was this trout article and the guys had about two or three differing outfits on during the shoot, brand new, it really did look like a modelling show for Big W.

The photos had been tragically photoshopped to enhance the colour, a whiting on the front cover was even bright gold in colour while other shots you could plainly see they had turned up the saturation to make the fish look unreal in colour.
To me it looked really shabby.

Another huge article on vibe style lures... that really said nothing new.

Only good thing was a small article showing a way to put a wriggler SP tail on your metal vibe, which I thought was interesting.

marto78
13-11-2011, 10:58 AM
I bought the Bush n beach magazine the other day and remembered why I dont waste my money on them anymore after reading one report saying how there have been large catches of 1m+ barra being caught in the Noosa River of late :o And looking at a photo of someone holding up a red emperor with the caption underneath stating that it was a 5kg snapper :-?
Really you wouldn't think it would be that hard to write up a believable report or match the caption to the correct fish.
The only articles worth reading in the whole magazine were Reefmasters which I had already read on here and his website.
I would have got more enjoyment and value for money from a bottle of coke with someone elses name on it :P

Si
13-11-2011, 09:53 PM
mrd - agree mate, they are basically crap now. i dont buy glossys and if i do if will be freshwater fishing or sport fishing australia by afn if at all.

marto78 - yeah i see that in b&b with the wrong captioning quite often. But i do prefer b&b and qld fishng monthly over the glossy's any day.

d-man
16-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Fishing Wild is def the best mag on the market - col Roberts only puts it out twice a year though. Its like the National Geographic of fishing.

Stuart
16-11-2011, 08:56 PM
I dont waste my money on nay of them anymore. QFM has to be the worst by far. The same crap re hashed every year along with the same photos used the year before, how friggen lame can you get. Mags relly need to re invent them selves or they may go the way of the dinos. Its much like the fishing shows today, I fished with this rod, caught it on this lure, this hook, swival,reel, while wearing brand X jock strap.
Stu

finga
17-11-2011, 05:25 AM
So that's why I can't catch fish.
I only have the white Jockey Y-fronts.

I haven't brought a fishing magazine for years. I only ever brought Bush and Beach as there were some regular writers who I enjoyed like Webby and Squidgy Palmer but a lot was repeated rubbish.
I actually like reading the really old stuff that you find in doctor's surgeries. Getting back to basics so to speak. And they usually have more on things like bait presentation and the like.

Another form of media I liked was Stinky on the radio. Is Stinky still on?
I could not get him in Brisbane but he was a regular when I go to Evens. He started at 5 am or so.
I tend to like the fishing radio shows more then the television shows because of the local content and lack of blatant branding.

Crestcutter
17-11-2011, 05:50 AM
Since Webby left and Mono started doing less i didn't bother. And i have gone from( beach to bush) and always used to find the mag informative,

MudRiverDan
17-11-2011, 08:27 AM
Admittedly at least bush and beach has some locals with some decent interesting stories, whether it be too many salmon on the beach or catching Jewish, the stories still ring true for people in the area.

As much as Bushy and Starlo have done for generating fishing interest I feel their stories are now stale and obviously pushed through on a sell point.

I mean these guys have done a lot of fishing and have a wealth of knowledge but all I read is the same old tripe.. Bream on SP, Bream on vibes... lift and drop retrieve, etc etc.

Nothing really sparks the imagination anymore, the adventure, resourcefulness and surprise has gone.

theoldlegend
17-11-2011, 03:38 PM
I gave up on the glossies a long time ago. Got a bit sick of reading about all the top end gear they use (which I cannot justify buying) but accept that they have to mention that sort of gear because they're given the stuff to use.

I still subscribe to B'n'B and like the articles and even accept the odd editorial misprints from time to time.

TOL

PinHead
17-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Bought a Modern Fishing magazine yesterday and did not really think it was any good.

Most of the fish looked like they were pulled off a charter boat, you know the usual stuff, GT, and pelagics.

Then there was this trout article and the guys had about two or three differing outfits on during the shoot, brand new, it really did look like a modelling show for Big W.

The photos had been tragically photoshopped to enhance the colour, a whiting on the front cover was even bright gold in colour while other shots you could plainly see they had turned up the saturation to make the fish look unreal in colour.

Only good thing was a small article showing a way to put a wriggler SP tail on your metal vibe, which I thought was interesting.

so what do you want a fishing magazine to have in it ?

Stuart
17-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Bakini clad girls would be a great start Pinhead, may even lift the mags subscription rate. I use to write for Bush and Beach for around 7 years and its hard to come up with fresh new stuff every month. I suppose people will take what they can use from what ever mag it may be.

goat boy
17-11-2011, 07:49 PM
yep. a page 3 girl or 3 would be nice

BR65
17-11-2011, 08:48 PM

Ya jokin, who would have guessed that.

borisdog
18-11-2011, 05:29 AM
The thing that stopped me from buying MF and FW was the massive amounts of ads. I picked up a MF in the Qantas lounge on the way to Brisbane a little while ago and it was even worse than I remember. If its not 40% ads, and that's just the paid ones, then my name's Macgillicuddy. Its worse now than when I stopped.
And you can shove Bream up ya bum. Dead set if that was all I had to catch I'd move.

nathank
18-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Agreed ... i used to buy them a bit in the mid nineties for a few years and the articles were interesting and had a good story to them..one of my really good friends writes for MF and SWF spasmodically and i used to take a few of the pics.. used to be just as much about the yarn as it was the gear and plugging brands etc.. it was 100bucks a page and a few hundred for a cover shot back then, and the stories got written when there was a story to write about, looked at a MF mag a few months back on a plane trip to melbourne and deadset left it on the plane when i got off...

Shawn 66
18-11-2011, 01:36 PM
So that's why I can't catch fish.
I only have the white Jockey Y-fronts.

I haven't brought a fishing magazine for years. I only ever brought Bush and Beach as there were some regular writers who I enjoyed like Webby and Squidgy Palmer but a lot was repeated rubbish.
I actually like reading the really old stuff that you find in doctor's surgeries. Getting back to basics so to speak. And they usually have more on things like bait presentation and the like.

Another form of media I liked was Stinky on the radio. Is Stinky still on?
I could not get him in Brisbane but he was a regular when I go to Evens. He started at 5 am or so.
I tend to like the fishing radio shows more then the television shows because of the local content and lack of blatant branding.
Far too much information:-X:-X:-X , Scott
Shawn

MudRiverDan
18-11-2011, 06:15 PM
I remember Squidgy Palmer he used to work in a tackle store near the Balina Big prawn.

Charged me $13.80 for a packet of Gulps.