PDA

View Full Version : first blue for unreel

OPTI
13-11-2011, 07:15 AM
finally got a blue marlin yesterday ,we followed a current line on the riv grounds heading se ,when the short rigger got hit,and pulled 10m and dropped ,we quickly started winding the lure back when he came charging in for a second hit ,with his bill above the water he smashed the lure this time ,followed by a massive jump ,line was peeling off at a massive rate,i got the harness on as the crew cleared the rods and picked up the rod,half the spool was gone .then he surfaced 50m off the stb side head out of the water shaking his bill going nuts then another jump and dive,it took me 30mins to get all my line back,got the tag in then some happy pics.
he did manage to take a chunk out of my treak deck with the end of his bill>:(i guess my fist battle scar.
we tagged him at 930 and didnt turn a reel for the rest of the day.

Vitamin Sea
13-11-2011, 07:51 AM
Congratulations Opti, somehow I don't think that will be unreels' last scar.

Cheers

murf
13-11-2011, 08:17 AM
well done and what an adrenalin rush :)

cheers Murf

Jarrah Jack
13-11-2011, 08:27 AM
I think he only wanted to have a look at the boat then got jealous and left his mark.

Well done. Won't be the last.

business class
14-11-2011, 12:53 PM
well done mate and im sure thats the first of many thats for sure. Hopefully i can see you out there next time hooked up again

chop duster
15-11-2011, 10:30 AM
how did the sounder go? mark any fish?

OPTI
15-11-2011, 04:55 PM
i havnt actually marked a marlin so far,i guess it would need to be right under the boat,im still learning the settings on the sounder ,but its getting better each trip,reads clear in 600m .
a couple of people have commented to me that its a good sign for the boat as a fish raiser to be getting the strikes on the short corner,means the boat is attracting the fish and the twin optis arnt scaring them off.
i just got my black bart blue marlin tournament lure packs ,they look awesome carnt wait to swim them .
both strikes ive had so far have been on a mold craft bobby brown purple and black and blue and lumo,both short corner position.heres a pic of the lure ,im pretty impressed with the mold craft,they dont look the flashest in the shop ,but the marlin sure like them
and dont worry matt if i spot you first il be following you very closely;D

chop duster
15-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Mate moldcrafts are all we pull.
Try the 4 eyed monster, has outfished our past favourite the magnum wide range this season. Havn't tried the bobby brown much, find it doesn't hold well in the rough and it seems to get bumpy every time we talk fishing lately, might have to give it another shot...
What speed you have the bobby brown working at? I'm fishing for blacks up here in FNQ although interesting...

OPTI
15-11-2011, 05:23 PM
im trying to sit on 6.8knts,that seems to get the lures working well.il have to get a 4 eyed,definately great lures in my short 2 trip experience,im running pakulas,bahamas,marlin majic ,meridian in the spread as well ,,trial and error i guess.
are you running the hooks at 180,on the mold crafts?

chop duster
15-11-2011, 08:34 PM
generally run single hook rigs, otherwise yer 180.
not a fan of shackles etc.. Keep it simple and light as posisbile to allow the lures to boogy.
Your not running the range on that furuno to read the bottom on the troll are you?

OPTI
16-11-2011, 05:56 AM
no i split the screen ,one on the bottom the other on the top

fisho8
16-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Well done Opti bloody good fish mate they are an awsome creature those marlin good stuff mate if you were ever going to want to christen the boat with it's first bump or mark that is the way you would want it to happen haha.

captain rednut
16-11-2011, 09:33 PM
well done Dave i bet your keen to get amongst them now.
cheers jim

business class
17-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Mate i run the 585 at the depth im fishing and since ive learnt how to do it corretly i can actually mark bait, see the fish at 150m down (example only) then 2nd pass see em at 80m then 3rd pass get the strike. Sounder means alot i think. On the weekend we had em 80m under on first pass. A few weeks ago i was marking 3 fish on bait balls and had all 3 come up, I did miss mine as they jumped off but called a mate to turn hard and come at me and instantly he got a strike and tagged his. (yes i know im a good bloke ;D) Dont zoom the bottom only as your chaseing bills not ooglies, to be honest i wouldnt even split the screen as i see no point when your fishing deep water IMO.

chop duster
17-11-2011, 04:49 PM
what transducer you running with the 585 matty?
We have just fitted up a 585 and a B260 to the riv and find it very good. Haven't managed to mark too many billies although trolling for mackies etc.. is fun calling the hits before they come. Makes the 582L in our other boat feel like a toy.
I guess Opti can afford to run split screen with that extra screen space, keeps you entertained when the fishing is slow

OPTI
17-11-2011, 04:53 PM
yeah i really need to take a furuno expert fishing with me ,im sure he would change a lot of my settings .

business class
18-11-2011, 09:08 AM
what transducer you running with the 585 matty?
We have just fitted up a 585 and a B260 to the riv and find it very good. Haven't managed to mark too many billies although trolling for mackies etc.. is fun calling the hits before they come. Makes the 582L in our other boat feel like a toy.
I guess Opti can afford to run split screen with that extra screen space, keeps you entertained when the fishing is slow

Mate im running a 1kw but not sure exactly which one it is. I can find out if you wish. Yeah I'm actually really enjoying being able to mark fish now as i havent done it before and marking them at different depths is insane. really gets the blood pumping when you see them heading up on each pass thats for sure.