PDA

View Full Version : Mercury 6hp, 2 stroke, 07 model broken down

fishinwahbee
12-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Hi all,

My motor, a 2007 mercury 2 stroke outboard, 6 hp. Would not really have a clue on how many hours it has done, prehaps over 350 hours, and 90% of these would have had the motor running at flat out. about 3 weeks ago i took the boat out. The motor started as normal but sounded a little louder than normal, something grinding like a bearing??? I went out ignoring it and as i went all the way up to dunethin rock it got a little louder and when it was about 1/4 throtle it was at its loudest. It made it home. Could have been the biggest mistake ever going out in it the next weekend. It was very loud but continued to go out as it seemed normal except for the noise, stupid thing i did i know. On the way back from quiet far up the river it began to get louder and make all different types of noise. It got slower and than eventually stalled. I could not start it, there seemed to be a little bit of a kick with all different amounts of throtle. I had to be toed back. I think that it could be the bearing in the impeller that has finally given way and cooked the motor. We examined the motor and we are not sure if it was already there or just happened there was oil underneath the fly weel. The noise sounded to becomeing from the top section of the motor around the fly weel.

Thanks Fishinwahbee

Stik-ugly
12-11-2011, 08:05 PM
That does not sound good,can you still turn the motor over, or, when you pull on the starter rope it will not budge?

Jarrah Jack
13-11-2011, 08:49 AM
I think you just had one of those live and learn experiences. Any unusual sound from a motor its straight back to the ramp and away to get diagnosed. If there was another boat handy I'd switch the motor straight off and get a tow.

Time to look for another motor I think. At least the're cheap compared to their bigger cousins.

finga
13-11-2011, 10:18 AM
By the sounds it isn't broken down. It's simply broke.
But get a mechanic to have a bo-peep if it is not seized.

fishinwahbee
14-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Big mistake, the motor does turn over but it is tighter than normal and it grinds.

Thanks FW

finga
14-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Oh dear :(

timddo
14-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Second hand 6hp is what $600,

Ditch it and get a new one or near new

fishinwahbee
15-11-2011, 06:21 PM
its difficult to throw away $900 plus, after a machanic has a look at it, dad might rebuild it as he knows how to. We would do new piston and rings to start with. This is the main proplem isint something around that topic, it wouldnt be electric or fuel or something would it?

FW

STUIE63
15-11-2011, 06:33 PM
probably not electric or fuel with the grinding sound and being tighter . get dad to take the head off and have a look at the piston and bore just be careful undoing the bolts as broken ones make it a bigger job

finga
16-11-2011, 08:06 AM
And price parts and machining before doing anything IF it's re-buildable.
First I'd take head off and look at the bores. If the bore is marked then price two re-bores (engine reconditioning shop) and price new oversized pistons and rings.
If that does not scare you then inspect the conrod bearings. If there's any marks or roughness at all then price new crank, conrods and bearings. Main bearings are about $20 each from the US.
You can look at the parts here http://www.crowleymarine.com/parts.cfm but they only go to 2006 in their model line-up. I'm not sure how similar or different they are from 2006 to 2007.

Good luck with it.

Noelm
16-11-2011, 09:09 AM
I guess it COULD be the stator under the flywheel has come loose and is now binding (we are talking miracles but there is a slight hope) before we do any more "could be's" there needs to be some investigation from you, a fairly simple look/feel around when slowly turning the flywheel by hand may give you a clue, from there it is remove the spark plugs and have a good look at them to see of they are nice and black/brownish, or cooked and covered in melted metal bits, then it's off with the head for an internal inspection. let us know what you find.

gazza2006au
16-11-2011, 01:23 PM
the grinding noise and oil leaking from under the flywheel would indicate your crank bearing is gone take the engine off your boat lay the engine down on its side remove the spark plugs and turn the engine over slowly and listen to see if u can hear the bearings dropping the crank bearings might not be able to fall out of there race but spacer that keeps each individual bearing apart might have been destroyed so u will hear the bearings rolling around as u turn the engine over slowly

fishinwahbee
21-11-2011, 04:03 PM
We have removed the cylinder head and bingo, there was small pieces of metal that had done some damage to the bore and now needs honing. We took apart the hole motor and revealed the pistions and crack shaft. The crankbearing in the center was completly gone and has shattered aluminum every where. We will be able to keep the top and bottom bearing on the crankshaft.
What we need to do:
New pistons and rings a little larger.
Hone or rebore the bore
New gasket kit
New center bearing on crankshaft - keeping top and bottom
New sparkplugs
I was wondering why this bearing would have gone is it that mercurys are crap or?

After that im good to go, I would have to run it in and Wow will that be fun going at like 5knots.

could any of you guys add anything else to the list and thanks for advice.
Fishinwahbee

STUIE63
21-11-2011, 04:50 PM
make sure the crank is straight

cormorant
21-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Chances of the other metal not wrecking every bearing are slim. Need to really check every part and determin if it is worth spending more on parts.

Still got to determin if it was a lack of oil, motor running lean or just worn out otherwise putting it back together will result in same again

If you an find one buy the same model again 2nd hand then you have all the electrics and gearbox etc as spares as the rebuild won't be cheap

finga
22-11-2011, 05:24 AM
Price the parts before getting a re-bore. You really need to get the cylinder re-bored if your fitting new pistons...especially over sized ones.

The conrod is a one piece conrod which means the crank shaft is the bit that has to be pulled apart to change that centre bearing.
There are 6 separate pieces to that crank shaft that have to be disassembled before new bearings can be put in. And then the 6 pieces of the crank shaft have to be pressed back together straight. This cannot be done at home.

In that engine (if I got the right one) there are 7 bearings. All of them would have to be changed. If I was to pay to get the centre bearing changed, new pistons, a re-bore and the rest of the parts then the cost of the top and bottom bearings would be insignificant so why not change them all.

The bearing failed probably due to wrong oil or not enough oil in the fuel, over heating or wrong tuning ie mixture. Add to that the continuous full throttle running with the noises getting worse is what destroyed that engine. I doubt a 2007 motor would be worn out.
Mercury's are not crap.

Is this your engine?
http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/11836_80.cfm

fishinwahbee
23-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Could it be one time, when we were at the boat ramp. I pushed the boat of the trailer and the motor clicked out of shallow water drive to straight down. I tried my hardest to stop the boat and push the nose down. The motor hit the bottom and there was so much strain on it. We examined it and i was quiet shaken up. The motor would not go into reverse so we thought the shaft must be bent. I pushed the motor with my foot and hands with all my might and it seemed to have fixed it. Since then it has been a little dodgy doing it occasionally and it seemed to help putting it into different drive positions e.g shallow ect. I think that this is the problem and the shaft has been bent. It then had a wobble or something which wore the bearing out.

fishinwahbee
23-11-2011, 06:57 PM
I do not think Mercury is crap ive just heard that. I would not hesitate to buy one, i should not have said that. Sorry finga i cant really tell from that picture. But there are 3 bearings which are around the same size, one in the middle and two top and bottom. The price should not be a problem as dad knows some good blokes. We could get the honing done for next to nothing it does not need a re bore after further investigation we found. Pistons, rings and bearings should be cheap through a mate. We know that we will be able to do the motor under $200. It will kind of rec my Christmas and it will kind of make my Christmas, am not going to be able to get my electric bow mount anymore :(
Thanks everyone.

finga
23-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Let us know how it goes please. :)

Stik-ugly
24-11-2011, 08:52 AM
About the electric, you just never know, that Santa is not a bad bloke!

finga
24-11-2011, 09:19 AM
About the electric, you just never know, that Santa is not a bad bloke!
I hope not and I hope he's very understanding.
I got a new t-shirt to try and help my standing with him the other day.
On it is a simple statement.
Dear Santa.
I can explain everything

fishinwahbee
24-11-2011, 09:33 PM
lol, good on you guys, i hope so

fishinwahbee
26-11-2011, 08:30 PM
That accidnet at the boat ramp could that have caused any damage?

finga
27-11-2011, 05:39 AM
Nope.
There's a heap of other things that would have broken first.
Either oil or cooling did your damage I reckon.

How are they going to pull the crank shaft apart to change that middle bearing?

fishinwahbee
28-11-2011, 04:24 PM
I'm pretty sure they use a variety of clamps an pullers that break it down into a number of pieces ?? We are going to get the pro's to do it so that it is re-assembled dead straight.

fishinwahbee
07-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Mechanic Came and had a look at the mess. The crankshaft would have to be replaced as the metal pieces which were shattered through the motor would have down damage to the crankshaft and would be stuffed, he betted money on it. The crankshaft was $400 so we did not bother and now selling the motor as parts, would any one be interested? The only reason the motor would have done this is because it would have been dropped in water. Defiantly the mechanic said. Would have been done by the previous owner, So annoying how people lie. now getting 9.9hp for Christmas and the mechanic is going to put 6hp decals on it as they are the same size.
Stopped by Patrol, this is what i would happen.....
"is that a 6hp"
"yeh"
"no it is not"
"Well i brought it like that as a 6hp"
End of story. Going to get a 2009 reconditioned one. Sucks because after school my love, not i have 6 weeks of not being able to use it which i have been waiting for.

Fishinwahbee

finga
07-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Mate, the guys in blue shirts are not that dumb.
They'll check the serial number and model number on the side of the motor and if there's no number they'll be asking questions.
Be careful

fishinwahbee
07-12-2011, 07:14 PM
They have come to me and asked is that a 6 and i said yes. They changed the topic and we began talking about fishing. I would be close to classing him as a mate. Prehaps in your area it is different or i was lucky. If i was to get caught i would just sell it and buy a 6hp, why im not in that situation i would rather be flying then dieing - going slow.

Tailortaker
07-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Mechanic Came and had a look at the mess. The crankshaft would have to be replaced as the metal pieces which were shattered through the motor would have down damage to the crankshaft and would be stuffed, he betted money on it. The crankshaft was $400 so we did not bother and now selling the motor as parts, would any one be interested? The only reason the motor would have done this is because it would have been dropped in water. Defiantly the mechanic said. Would have been done by the previous owner, So annoying how people lie. now getting 9.9hp for Christmas and the mechanic is going to put 6hp decals on it as they are the same size.
Stopped by Patrol, this is what i would happen.....
"is that a 6hp"
"yeh"
"no it is not"
"Well i brought it like that as a 6hp"
End of story. Going to get a 2009 reconditioned one. Sucks because after school my love, not i have 6 weeks of not being able to use it which i have been waiting for.

Fishinwahbee

sorry but couldnt help it....
:-?:P;D::)

fishinwahbee
07-12-2011, 11:18 PM
ya got me, true that and staight away im going against my word. You can see what i mean cant you, ripping someone off with hard earned money, im only 14 with no job but that is alright?? To me there is a difference when im not harming anyone or am i. It is my choice anyhow. Thanks for mentioning and i will have to be careful what i write.

wags on the water
07-12-2011, 11:46 PM
ya got me, true that and staight away im going against my word. You can see what i mean cant you, ripping someone off with hard earned money, im only 14 with no job but that is alright?? To me there is a difference when im not harming anyone or am i. It is my choice anyhow. Thanks for mentioning and i will have to be careful what i write.
Being 14 and admitting to lying - you are also breaking the law. And you're concerned about someone else doing something wrong?? I hope you aren't pulled over until you are 16.

Recreational marine driver licence

In Queensland, a marine licence is required to operate a recreational boat which is powered by a motor greater than 4.5 kW (over 6 hp)

Obtaining a licence

To obtain a Queensland recreational marine driver licence you must:

be aged 16 years or older

Muddy Toes
08-12-2011, 12:11 AM
I might be sounding like an 'old bloke' that thinks he knows everything mate but i presume that the laws were made to restrict unlicensed persons from operating a vessel with a motor greater than 6hp for a reason.I.E public safety and your own safety.If the option to sell the 9.9 and buy a 6hp if you get pulled up and caught then why not just buy a 6hp straight up?
I can understand that your frustrated and just want your boat operational after your disappointment but breaking the law should not be the answer mate.
This is just my two cents worth mate and something you have to work out with your parents.
Just an afterthought too.....insurance.You can kiss that goodbye.

finga
08-12-2011, 06:52 AM
They have come to me and asked is that a 6 and i said yes. They changed the topic and we began talking about fishing. I would be close to classing him as a mate. Prehaps in your area it is different or i was lucky. If i was to get caught i would just sell it and buy a 6hp, why im not in that situation i would rather be flying then dieing - going slow.
And that is why you'd be the first person they'd be picking on in any day even when there are lots of people on the water.
They see a tinny flying along with a young person at the helm.Beauty they'd say. A customer. We'd better go and say HELLO. The dope is trying the old sticker swap routine. What a fool.
Mate, they're not that dumb and they're awake to the old sticker swap.
The 4hp stickers on the 6hp (for registration) and the 6hp stickers on the 9 or 9.9hp motor for those not old enough to get a license.....it's all been tried before.

Have you priced a set of stickers??? Because you'd have to get originals so they may not look so much out of place

Why not put a second hand power head on your 6hp??
I brought one for a 25hp years ago and it was only a couple of hundred dollars.
The outboard wreckers at Edens Landing (or somewhere around there) might have something.

I have an acquaintance who is on his P plates. He wants a V8. He can't have a V8. Maybe if he puts some V6 badges on the Senator that will fool the Police??

fishinwahbee
08-12-2011, 11:25 AM
ok im buying a 6hp, i would use the cow of my motor anyhow for stickers. Im not out there to break the law, i dont recall ever breaking the law before on purpose. Definately not getting the 9.9hp!

cormorant
08-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Turn this one round and get a positive about it

With the 6hp if you keep the weight out of the tinny , set it up right it will still go like the clappers. Ask and learn about engine heights , trim tabs ( make it plane earlier and faster) etc.

Checking the wreckers for a cheap running powerhead is a OK idea but it is hard to tell if you are getting a good one as most stuff that goes to the wreckers has a stuffed powerhead of some form or electrics been for a swim. Not for the non mechanical or inexperienced but if you happen to find a cheapie and want to learn go for it.

Get the right motor, treat it well and enjoy knowing you are all legal so you can have a chat ( right attitude) with the authorities on the water and enjoy being on the water in safety.

finga
08-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Hey little matey....How long did you have the outboard for before it started to play up??
Any idea of the number of hours you used it for??

Cheers then :)

fishinwahbee
09-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Dont know how many hours it has but im assuming alot. Maybe over 400 hours. The motor was perfect since christmas just gone. I know it sounded bad how i ran it to death and went out while it was making that noise but it would have already been stuffed since the beginning. THe motor has been droped in the water for the bearing to go. If you were to get it running a minimum would be fixing bore, piston, rings, 3 new bearings (only cheap). If you are real lucky the crankshaft would not be wrecked. Are you interested or something? I know it sounds bad and im not trying to make it sound good but it is fixable. If i had a little money i would consider fixing it. Im still tosing up whether to buy a new one or fix it. If i was to fix it i would know the motor inside out and it would be like new. If i get offered some money i would probably take it. What do you think it is worth? The repair would cost Around $600 without the crankshaft, if it was to be stuffed then at least $900

finga
09-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Mate. If it's been going since last Christmas it hasn't been dunked.
If it had of been dunked and let go a smidge of time so rust could form on bits and pieces it would have seized in about 20 minutes of running. Not 12 near months
Who-ever told you it had been dunked after near 12 months of running is pulling your leg.

Just because a motor has been dunked it is not a death sentence.
If the water is washed out and the inside of the motor is lightly oiled they can be a good as just before dunking.
The tricky bit is time. You have to be very quick....like 5-10 minutes quick.

For parts to fix yours try Southside Outboard Wreckers at Bethania 3805 8595