PDA

View Full Version : Hydrolic Steering - Baystar

waterbouy
12-11-2011, 10:23 AM
Heya all,

Have just taken my boat out for the 1st time since putting the hydrolic steering in.
And it is still really quite stiff stil. All the other boats I've driven with it are a pleasure to drive. Mine still feels like the old cable steer. Is the hydrolic steering adjustable or something? What could be the problem?

Moonlighter
12-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Could be the motor pivot needs greasing. When you fitted the hydraulic steering, was the engine easy to turn before you connected it up?

ML

bigjimg
12-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Did you install or was it fitted up by a marine fitter.Either way it would of been apparent before you took it out.Easy enough to disconnect and swivel the engine to check if it moves freely,otherwise it is an installation issue.What brand is the setup?And what type of unit.Jim

waterbouy
12-11-2011, 07:47 PM
I believe it is a Baystar. We employed our outboard mechanic to install it. Will swing round and visit him tomoz to see what he rekons.

Micadogs
14-11-2011, 04:19 PM
I have the baystar fitted. I previoulsy has mechanical steering. The difference is not all that noticeable in terms of how hard/easy it is to turn (stiffness). I could turn my mechanical steering with one finger and I can still turn the baystar with one finger. Weightiness (for want of a better word) still also feels about the same.

The differences I can notice though - no feedback at all with baystar, I'm not fighting the steering. I can take my hands off the steering wheel without fear of landing in the drink.

Not fighting the steering is the reason I put it in in the first place as I fish offshore. This alone is worth the $$$$ spent.

If you want "lighter" less "stiff" steering with the baystar then it is possible. You just need to upgrade the lines and fittings to the same size ID as the seastar hydraulic system. This just pushes more oil quicker and makes it easier to turn. BLA has all the right bits and pieces to do this.

The other issues may still be air in the lines. If there are micro bubbles in the oil then it will still feel stiff as you are using energy to push air and this compresses. Ask your mechanic if they bleed the system by hand or using a machine. A machine bleeding will produce better results.

Regards Adam

Catweb
20-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Yep I got the Baystar system on my Webster. As mentioned no feedback and can let it go and just holds the line. Agreed not as light as I expected but still one finger stuff. The thing I am still getting used too is the increased number of turns from lock to lock. If my boat were a ski boat I would be not very happy but it ain't so all good.

Also agree that you need to make sure no air in the lines.

ozscott
20-11-2011, 11:56 AM
Interesting. I have had a no feed back (NFB) Teleflex helm and cable in my Vag for several years. Did the install myself and used hydraulic fluid not grease. It stays in position with no feedback at all from the motor to the wheel - the dog clutch system in the helm takes all that out. I have been very impressed because the steering is light and only runs a couple of turns side to side. It was just removed for a motor swap and will go back in with hydraulic fluid again - its interesting these new helms. After reading the above I am glad I went for it. Many people (who presumably have not used the NFB helm properly set up) bag cable over hydraulic. I think anyone looking at Hydraulic should consider the pros and cons of each system closely and look at the cost difference and simplicity also. Having said that I think the type discussed under this thread may not be as easy to steer as some others. I have used a couple of hydraulic set ups that are lighter than my cable.

Cheers