PDA

View Full Version : Herron island

rynosaurus
09-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone might be able to point me in the right direction with regards to fishing and Herron island.

I am thinking of checking it out for say a week or two may next year for something special and was wondering if I can take a rod or two.

Can I fish from shore? Keep or catch release?
Is there a charter and how much?

I understand it the gbr but as I have only been fishing the last 3 years and prior to this was ignorant to a lot and not sure on restrictions.

Oh and if fishing is viable what gear would be recommended to take along?
Any opinions on the resort or rooms are most welcome ;)
Cheers Ryan

crab man
10-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Hi Ryan mate are you talking about Heron Island off Gladstone ?

If you are there is fishing chraters run by the resort out there nothing to serious and not that xxxy either mate . There is no shore based fishing on the island (I use to live and work there driving the fishing boats) . Great spot ! and im actually going there in 2 weeks !!! awsome place actually !!

Craig

crab man
10-11-2011, 11:20 AM
sorry double post

leonp88
10-11-2011, 11:26 PM
As mentioned, Heron is smack bang in the middle of a green zone, however it's not far to go (on a charter or if you have access to a boat) to get to fishing grounds.

http://www.gbrmpa.gov.au/visit-the-reef/zoning/zoning-maps?a=4310

rynosaurus
11-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Oh thanks Craig

Yer I assume that's the one - ie off Gladstone.

I assume you can't fish from the shore because of policy?
With the charter do you know off hand how much possibly?
It's possibly for a honeymoon so I prolly won't be allowed too much fishing but the charter sounds good.
Oh they would have gear i suppose?

Cheers ryan

Basstones
11-11-2011, 09:21 AM
The charter on the island is a lot of fun, and one of the best things to do on low tide anyway. We usually head out a couple of times when we stay over there, always come back with a good feed for dinner that night.