PDA

View Full Version : What do the outboard mechanics use to stop bolts siezing?

TheRealAndy
07-11-2011, 10:27 PM
I need to fit a new hydraulic pump to my rag boat. The valve block is aluminium but I need to use stainless bolts to mount it to an aluminium bracket. Same deal as the leg on an outboard except this one wont pulled down as often. So whats the best product to use to stop the bolts from siezing up and corroding?

FishHunter
08-11-2011, 05:26 AM
A non metallic anti sieze compound. Grease or Tec Gel or Duralac. Wurth do a pretty good one and I am sure others do as well.

Spaniard_King
08-11-2011, 06:54 AM
Loctite Nickel antiseize is the best for long term in that application. Grease will dry out long term. Silver grade antiseize will also dry out in an alluminium/stainless application.

nautimax
08-11-2011, 08:47 AM
Duralac...it stops galvanic corrosion dead in it's tracks :) ...back in the day we used Trefolex (anti-seize/cutting compound) which has been banned as it has cancerous fumes...

TheRealAndy
08-11-2011, 08:55 AM
The duralac wont be much chop for this application, need something that wont dry out. Will go with the locktite nickel antisieze as per garry's recommendation. Was going to use tec-gel till I saw the price.

tunaticer
08-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Duralac...it stops galvanic corrosion dead in it's tracks :) ...back in the day we used Trefolex (anti-seize/cutting compound) which has been banned as it has cancerous fumes...
I do not think this product has been banned as it is freely available at most engineering supply shops and very commonly in use. I used it today in fact to tap a few m20 holes.
Possibly it was site banned for you somewhere?

nautimax
09-11-2011, 12:24 AM
I do not think this product has been banned as it is freely available at most engineering supply shops and very commonly in use. I used it today in fact to tap a few m20 holes.

Hello Jack, yeah mate 1997 was the year I first heard of it being banned. I cannot recall correctly but you may be right - I think it was a site specific ban. In the MSDS there is reference to "concerns" that it may cause cancer...pity really 'cos I preferred using it to Rocol...I take it you are a fitter/turner/machinist of some sort...tapping M20 threads...?

tidemaster
09-11-2011, 07:55 AM
Loctite Nickel antiseize is the best for long term in that application. Grease will dry out long term. Silver grade antiseize will also dry out in an alluminium/stainless application.

Gary is spot on here. I work for a pontoon company and we use Stainless and Ally all day long. The Loctite Nicel antiseize is all we will use

wirlybird
09-11-2011, 11:30 AM
international paints make some red stuff we used it on the navy boats and some of the bolts on a 60 year old boat just came strait out

Steboe
09-11-2011, 01:24 PM
non acid cure silicone works

Ken

Tickleish
10-11-2011, 10:52 AM

Its not banned and is good suff. However if you burn it ( high speed applications ) the smoke is cancerous.

Tapping is good and slow speed drilling.

GBC
10-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Red Lead. The single greatest anti corrosive agent ever invented. They ban all the good stuff. Don't forget good old industrial lanolin to stop staino galling.

Dan5
10-11-2011, 09:21 PM
international paints make some red stuff we used it on the navy boats and some of the bolts on a 60 year old boat just came strait out

Thats called "Resquesteel" it's the only gear they let us use at the port container crane..........it's good gear.

Another one we use offshore on the cranes is Mobile tactile? pretty sure it's tactile........lasts the longest on the wire ropes and on bolts.

Dan

wirlybird
11-11-2011, 09:37 AM
Thats the stuff thanks dan
i coverd my old steel mudguards on the under side not an ounce of rust! lots of rocks stuck in it though:(