PDA

View Full Version : PB snapper offshore Fraser Island

dayoo
07-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Fellow ausfish member "Popgun 19" rang me last Tuesday to see if I wanted to go for a fish on Aurora11 last weekend. Couldn't go as I was having a Melanoma cut off the back of my hand on Thursday.:'( My mate Frank took my place and cleaned up on Snapper and Grassies on Saturday night:o

He uses a T Curve 5 to 8kg rod with 30 lb braid and the big 10kg snapper gave him a good fight all the way into the boat. It was his PB and as it was his birthday he was stoked.

Pics attached.

Cheers
Barry

outwide1
07-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Bloody good fish there Barry,Franks head pops up on all the boats up there,bait runner,auora2 and Ed falconers.
Good fishing up there for snapper at the moment i here.
Be nice to score those while the comps on.
Good going.
MICK

outta line
07-11-2011, 01:05 PM
nice fish..... well done....

Smithy
07-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Nice grassies.

popgun19
09-11-2011, 01:02 AM

popgun19
09-11-2011, 01:16 AM
Check out the crab and whole grassie in it's stomach and still was hungry enough to eat a mullet fillet.

popgun19
09-11-2011, 01:32 AM
Frank's snapp was caught on Sat night but not put on the Brag mat until Monday morning. Wish we had a brag mat on board, any hard core fisherman know's that fish put into a slurry or on ice will shrink in size so really was a 1m fish. Caught on a 2 hook snood rig ( whole mullet fillet) and with one of Barry's 1oz glow egg sinkers. Snapp had a nice battle scar on her back from a shark which is still clearly visable. Fish was caught a few seconds after the 2nd biggest fish for the trip was landed, a nice bonehead male caught by Paul the deckhand. Must have been a husband and wife crusing around in the paddock together.

Will put up a few more details tomorrow night.

Cheers,

Brian

therapy
09-11-2011, 04:16 AM
I thought the first pic was Greg ( Reefmaster) until I saw he was smiling!!. Nice snapp Popgun!!

Cheers...Terry...

popgun19
09-11-2011, 08:49 AM
Next time I catch a just legal grassy in the right territory, might have send it back down as a livie.

In the last 30 minutes of fishing we found some livies and 1st drop i got smashed and dusted by a good fish then Gary and Les caught a cod each and Frank 4.5 kg grass sweetlip. Then I landed and released a 54 cm red and just as things were hotting up it was time to head in. Next time I will make sure I use 100 lb leader when dropping down a livie !

Cheers,
Brian

URAGANGI
09-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Popgun thanks for the insert pic of the snappers frame. It's always interesting to know what they've been chewing on. Grassies going down whole, goes to show you that they will just about eat anything when hungry.
cheers,
Gavin.

fisho8
09-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Awsome fish there mate well done.

popgun19
09-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Popgun thanks for the insert pic of the snappers frame. It's always interesting to know what they've been chewing on. Grassies going down whole, goes to show you that they will just about eat anything when hungry.
cheers,
Gavin.

No worries Gavin, yes if in the right territory and you catch a just legal Moses, hussar or sweetlip whack a couple of hooks in and send it back down.

Cheers,
Brian

popgun19
09-11-2011, 09:41 PM
I thought the first pic was Greg ( Reefmaster) until I saw he was smiling!!. Nice snapp Popgun!!

Cheers...Terry...

I will pass this on to Frank, they are both skilled fisho's, i don't know Greg just drool over his reports. They have fished together before. I think Frank might have a laugh.

Cheers,

Brian

popgun19
09-11-2011, 09:59 PM
Bad luck missing out on the trip Barry, thanks for the 1oz glow big eye jig head you gave us to try, it worked a treat and held the soft plastic on well. Caught some fish on it and was going to post a pick of the teeth marks on it before mr shark deceided he wanted some jewelry. Frank used the 3/4 once glow shad jig head and caught some beauties.

Cheers,

Brian

Fellow ausfish member "Popgun 19" rang me last Tuesday to see if I wanted to go for a fish on Aurora11 last weekend. Couldn't go as I was having a Melanoma cut off the back of my hand on Thursday.:'( My mate Frank took my place and cleaned up on Snapper and Grassies on Saturday night:o

He uses a T Curve 5 to 8kg rod with 30 lb braid and the big 10kg snapper gave him a good fight all the way into the boat. It was his PB and as it was his birthday he was stoked.

Pics attached.

Cheers
Barry

popgun19
09-11-2011, 10:31 PM
He uses a T Curve 5 to 8kg rod with 30 lb braid and the big 10kg snapper gave him a good fight all the way into the boat.

Certainly takes some skill to land big fish on the little t- curve plastics rod, but what a weapon of a rod it is, he got stuck Into the snap and played with a couple of sharks for a while .... you just can't kill it, same with the reel which I also have stradic 5000.

Little things I learn't from Frank fishing in his back yard...
He taught me how to fish with plastics when on Keely Rose and I am regularly catching fish with them now, not getting the quality he is yet but it is a fun way to fish. I also learn't you must be patient and your bait presentation must be perfect he taught a good rig for snooding a pillie for floatlining. A final tip for plastics or float lining we were fishing in around 50m of water and baits took a good 3-5 mins before hitting the bottom and we adjusted our weights accordingly.

Cheers,
Brian

Pat

Pics attached.

Cheers
Barry[/QUOTE]

Reefmaster
10-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the pics Barry and good to see that Frank is still firing. Nice Snapper for that area and the grassy's are crackers.

Reefmaster
10-11-2011, 11:04 AM

Cheers...Terry...

What you trying to say Terry? that i dont smile enough ;D

I will pass this on to Frank, they are both skilled fisho's, i don't know Greg just drool over his reports. They have fished together before. I think Frank might have a laugh.

Cheers,

Brian

Yep have known Frank since I was a teenager as we were into the drags and built some of the quickest street registered cars in QLD back then. Took Frank out about 10 years ago to fish in close when he started to get into offshore fishing. He loves his fishing that's for sure.

Greg

dayoo
10-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the pics Barry and good to see that Frank is still firing. Nice Snapper for that area and the grassy's are crackers.

Thanks Greg. Yes I used to keep pace with Frank (fishing wise) but he has learn't a lot more from Ed Falconer. Grassies were up to 5kg.

Cheers
Barry

Tangles
10-11-2011, 05:08 PM
nice fish there and pass on my regards to Frank

Bubsy
10-11-2011, 08:10 PM
I agree with the other blokes. Nice snapper. But holy smoke, biggest grassies I've ever seen. Well done.