PDA

View Full Version : No Reds!!! :(

Spot82
07-11-2011, 08:21 AM
Well I didn't expect to catch a red towing 12 inch lures off the GC but I did have an awesome day none the less. Pics and video can tell the story. Thanks to Larva Lures for providing the lures, they smoke real hard and look awesome in the water. The have raised 8 billfish in 2 trips on this boat alone in the past 3 weeks off the GC.

3-3-1 on Billies and 2-2-2 on Dollies (12-18kg)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPphvlgGpKM

If you have a problem with swearing than turn the sound off when you watch the video!

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/9744/stripeydsc4100.jpg
Striped Marlin 100-120kg

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/96/marlin1dsc4106.jpg
Again

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/6483/bigdolliedsc4185.jpg
18kg Dollie, not much fun to catch on 37kg though!

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6287/dolliesdsc4272.jpg
12 & 18kg Dollies

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/2861/rodbreakdsc4269.jpg
Broken Live Fibre on the first Blue that we ended up loosing.

Few Pics of the Larva Teasers smoking hard
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/7997/teaserdsc4159.jpg

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/737/teaser2dsc4073.jpg

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/8307/teaser1dsc4088.jpg

Anthony

lampuki
07-11-2011, 08:44 AM
They are some great shots.......congrats on the bill.

fishfeeder
07-11-2011, 08:59 AM
Great video and pictures. I hope to get a few Dollies this summer.

Cheers
Brett

outta line
07-11-2011, 01:41 PM
herd you guys on the vhf on sat ... sounded like you were having a gr8 day out there .Apart from the snapped rod and lost lure that is, the name of the boat sums it up..lol.. but hey thats fishing and will all be forgotten when that reel screams off again next weekend.... what size boat is Murphey's law? is the donk a honda 225 ? how much fuel do you use in a day?
i have a 6m victory and keen to get out there , soon as i get sum bigger gear that is.
cheers mick

Vitamin Sea
07-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Great stuff Sean

Is that Matty's HF?

Cheers

Bill

jeffo
07-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Anthony, from the photos I saw first up i may have said striped (photos can be tricky with billfish i reckon)...but from the video footage I have to say small Blue marlin (my guess is about 80kg). Im guessing the fish was caught in pretty quick time? You said on facebook, you were surprised the 2 look so similar- well i have to disagree there- a stripe is a stripe. Their dorsal almost seams to high to be on them..almost out of proportion.

You guys sure like having a full quiver of lures out at once!

Hopefully we can get a crack at them up here this weekend.

brisbane_boy
07-11-2011, 08:58 PM
yeh jeffos onto it, rat blue for sure but the pics bring out the colour a lot more than the average punters mobile phone and the stripys have a really fluro dorsal fin when takn with a camera like your using which has thrown a few, but the fin size is the main giveaway. might run some 8kg for those dollys next week, great chewn, stuck the gaff in some angry cobes over the wkend-no reds either::)

URAGANGI
07-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Anthony, Hi class with a little more thrown in!! Thanks for your time in putting all that action packed footage together. The release of the bill as she finds her way back too the deep, Wow. Who ever did the filming certainly did a top job.
Your posts are always top entertainment. Just how long before you, get noticed and start doing doco's for a living? fantastic team work both at the wheel and on the reel, well done crew.
cheers,
viper.

perko
08-11-2011, 05:55 AM
Well done, No Reds but at least your out fishing. Don't get too addicted to that stuff, seen many a good reef fisherman turn to the dark side and never return. Keep them posts coming mate.

business class
08-11-2011, 03:15 PM
herd you guys on the vhf on sat ... sounded like you were having a gr8 day out there .Apart from the snapped rod and lost lure that is, the name of the boat sums it up..lol.. but hey thats fishing and will all be forgotten when that reel screams off again next weekend.... what size boat is Murphey's law? is the donk a honda 225 ? how much fuel do you use in a day?
i have a 6m victory and keen to get out there , soon as i get sum bigger gear that is.
cheers mick

Its 6.8m in length and I use on average about 150ltrs on a full day out heavy tackle which is average 12hrs on the water

business class
08-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Great stuff Sean

Is that Matty's HF?

Cheers

Bill

Yep sure is ;D

business class
08-11-2011, 03:25 PM
It was an awesome day and That video shows the mahem in full swing and i tell ya the hearts pumping hard when you see that blue in the spread or hear that reel scream. We have had some cracker days as of late which have all been taken on Larva's as anthony has said. Anthonys camera is nothing but amazing, the pics are unreal and he is very quick on the Video too thats for sure, as for the underwater footage that was me ;D as he was on the rod still. I dont think ill convert him over but damn im gonna try 8-).

vertico
08-11-2011, 03:44 PM
matty, anthony already pitches for the other team no need to try convert him over :P

OPTI
08-11-2011, 05:46 PM
great videos ,i saw you hooked up early on one near riv grounds,i might have to get some of those lava lures.

outta line
08-11-2011, 06:57 PM
cheers Matty as i'm new on here i'm guessing its your boat.i am on the water just about every good weekend mainly reef fishing but keen to get out to jims and riv grounds for something different and to get away from the usual traffic on the 9mile over the coming months.A blue or stripe beats a black any day only eva hooked one stripe and was a totally different fish from the blacks, but lost it after an hour only running a TLD 25. Thanks for the info on fuel usage and running time.trying to get an idea before i make the trip out wide as i only have a 140l tank ill stick to the 1km 1litre for safety.
cheers mick

Vitamin Sea
08-11-2011, 07:06 PM
It was an awesome day and That video shows the mahem in full swing and i tell ya the hearts pumping hard when you see that blue in the spread or hear that reel scream. We have had some cracker days as of late which have all been taken on Larva's as anthony has said. Anthonys camera is nothing but amazing, the pics are unreal and he is very quick on the Video too thats for sure, as for the underwater footage that was me ;D as he was on the rod still. I dont think ill convert him over but damn im gonna try 8-).

Thought so Matty8-), thought you were going to upgrade, still on the cards?

Do you fellas always run a full deck of lines like that, seems a lot of work to clear ? mahem is the word.

Have to have a go this year!

Cheers

Bill

3rd degree
08-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Sounds like a great day.... Good to see there's a few of those bad boys around already!

Cheers
Jim

business class
09-11-2011, 09:01 AM
[QUOTE=Vitamin Sea;1326126]Thought so Matty8-), thought you were going to upgrade, still on the cards?

Do you fellas always run a full deck of lines like that, seems a lot of work to clear ? mahem is the word.

Have to have a go this year!

Yeah Mate were actually looking at an upgrade soon, and Murphy's Law is about to go up for sale. I want to go bigger and want the new 250 Honda 8-)

As for a full deck yeah mate we run 5 always, and from a small boat i think you have to. Yeah it is mayhem when hooked up but its a mayhem i wish i had each day ;D.
Yeah give it a go for sure. You cant beat the rush you get when hooking blues or big blacks.

Also too the rod that snapped was replaced Instantly through Wilson, now thats customer service at its damn best. So thankyou Wilson

Cheers

business class
09-11-2011, 09:07 AM
great videos ,i saw you hooked up early on one near riv grounds,i might have to get some of those lava lures.

Yeah mate i actually thought i seen you out there. Thats one damn nice looking boat you have thats for sure. Did use raise anything?

cheers Matty as i'm new on here i'm guessing its your boat.i am on the water just about every good weekend mainly reef fishing but keen to get out to jims and riv grounds for something different and to get away from the usual traffic on the 9mile over the coming months.A blue or stripe beats a black any day only eva hooked one stripe and was a totally different fish from the blacks, but lost it after an hour only running a TLD 25. Thanks for the info on fuel usage and running time.trying to get an idea before i make the trip out wide as i only have a 140l tank ill stick to the 1km 1litre for safety.
cheers mick

Mate 140L is no dramas or if your worried take an extra 20L as spare. We ahve alot of guys in our club with small boats who get out there alot. Ya should come down to one of the club meetings that way you get to know a few guys before you do the trips out there, if ya ever have any questions about it send me a pm and id be more then happy to help ya.

OPTI
09-11-2011, 04:15 PM
yeah matty we raised one blue but he threw the hooks after a minute,we were right beside lucky strike when he hooked onto that donkey,just south of jims.
i see you used a black and pink skirt lure in the pics,was that the hottest colour in your spread??
i asked lava about some lures today ,he said they are a few weeks away ,you must be connected to the inner circle.;D
il be back out saturday,i think il drop the lures in at spot x this time and work out from there until i see you and follow your every move.cheers dave;)

business class
09-11-2011, 04:42 PM
yeah matty we raised one blue but he threw the hooks after a minute,we were right beside lucky strike when he hooked onto that donkey,just south of jims.
i see you used a black and pink skirt lure in the pics,was that the hottest colour in your spread??
i asked lava about some lures today ,he said they are a few weeks away ,you must be connected to the inner circle.;D
il be back out saturday,i think il drop the lures in at spot x this time and work out from there until i see you and follow your every move.cheers dave;)

Yeah mate I cant lie, I am in the inner circle :P;) As for colours, to be honest every colour got hit that day. I think the swimming action and smoke trail they put off is the reason they work so damn well. I do like there eclipse colour which you see in the pics and also there blue over lumo and there blue over pink is insane, The billie on the weekend was taken on a 15" purple fusion is the colour. The finished ones will be here in 3 weeks which will be even better, but if you want a few id call them and leave ur number and tell em to call you when they arrive as i know there first shipment is nearlly sold out as there was only 1000 sent over! We will be out sunday not saturday this weekend as I gotta work Saturday :'( Hope you get one this weekend mate. Have you christened the boat yet?

OPTI
09-11-2011, 06:12 PM
thanks matt ,i left my number so im on the list,as for christened the boat ,not with a marlin ,plenty of kings and amberjacks thou.
interesting on a 15inch lure ,i got my hit on the long corner 12 inch lumo mold craft,ive been told the marlin were favouring the smaller lures,but that doesnt seem to be the case.
how bigger lure were you running on the shot gun?

Spot82
09-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Geez matty talk about rape my thread hahahaha saves me some typing anyways haha

uripper
10-11-2011, 07:13 AM
Thanks for great post.

Q: what speed are you trolling at please ????????? it looks quick .... 10-15 knots ???? or is that the wide angle lens distortion ??

Mal M

business class
10-11-2011, 08:10 AM
thanks matt ,i left my number so im on the list,as for christened the boat ,not with a marlin ,plenty of kings and amberjacks thou.
interesting on a 15inch lure ,i got my hit on the long corner 12 inch lumo mold craft,ive been told the marlin were favouring the smaller lures,but that doesnt seem to be the case.
how bigger lure were you running on the shot gun?

I normally run either a 12" or 9.5 inch is the smallest i put in the shotty. I normally run 2 15" in the shorts and then 2 x 12" in riggers then a 12 or a 9.5 as shotty depends on conditions on what size I run. Alot of people are different in what size they run as people say they wont hit a 15" yet alot of my bites have been on the shorts this year. Teasers are a big factor i think

Thanks for great post.

Q: what speed are you trolling at please ????????? it looks quick .... 10-15 knots ???? or is that the wide angle lens distortion ??

Mal M

Mate im doing 7 knots and about 30knots when she starts jumping at me ;D

Jerk n Wined
10-11-2011, 07:53 PM
great vid,.... It was such a good vid it made the channel 9 news toinght. I was pissing myself when i had seen it as i only just watched it on here 10min before. You must be in the circle of know all's...

Could you catch a strip on 8kg gear? or too light

Smithy
10-11-2011, 09:00 PM
We get the odd club guy get stripes on 8kg here on the Sunny Coast. Certainly on grounds like Spot X off the Gold Coast a few stripes get caught as well. Just depends on what line class everyone uses.

jeffo
11-11-2011, 06:26 PM
I am still yet to see one tagged on heavy tackle Smithy...seen a bunch jump off. Every stripe I have seen has been on 8kg.