PDA

View Full Version : repower from 4st to 2st

hondaguy
06-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Thinking of repowering my 4.1 tinny from 30hp honda to a 40hp 2st. which is largest allowed. Was thinking 30hp 2st. but hate to repower and still be lacking power/top end speed. Basically with 2 adults it is acceptable but add a child or 3rd adult and it is a snail.
Do a fair bit of prawning in season and chase my share of both type of crabs. Since dillys are now banned my total of hrs/year is half. Been line fishing a bit and the total distance for the day would be 20-40km/trip. I have an electric that can be used while prawning and shallow crabbing to save on fuel and stealth.
Weight wise there is currently 86kg on the transom so a 40 2st. will not be a real weight penality.
1. How much extra fuel would I be using as a 25ltr=3 trips on average.
2. What brand would you choose? thinking 3cyl. rather than 2cyl. for smoother idle and power.
3. any pros or cons others can think of to the repower?

Knotpretty
06-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Etec if you have the dollars. mojo

Jabba_
06-11-2011, 07:00 PM
If you by a 40hp E-tec your fuel usage will be the same or better then you currant 30hp Honda..

If you want to retain a quiet, clean motor and want 2st, then the choice is an E-tec. It is however 2 cylinder.. I'm not sure how smooth they are at idling and trolling, but I have read on the E-tec owners forum that at idle it uses 0.3ltr per hour and at troll speed, it was using 3 ltr hour.. I believe Evinrude are the only manufactures that make a clean tech motors that are smaller then 75hp..

The only 3cylinder I know off is a carby Yamaha, and they will chew about 40% more fuel then a 4st or E-tec, there will also be a lot more fumes from the Yamaha.. That will genuinely apply to all carb 40hp 2st..

Screamin Semen
06-11-2011, 08:14 PM
I just repowered my 4.2m tinny with a Yamaha 40hp 3 cylinder and I love it...1st trip out we went from sundale bridge to the pin and in and around jacobs well then back to sundale with 2 of us + dog and fully loaded boat we used 20 litres for the trip.....I was running at 50-80% throttle alot :) I went from a Yamaha CV 30hp 2 cylinder and HATED it!

The Yamaha is second to none for quality over the other brands IMO.

Cheers SS

TheSaint
07-11-2011, 04:30 PM
The two choices imo are Tohatsu TLDI 40hp or etec 40hp if your looking for something good on fuel in the 2 stroke range..

I personally own Yamaha 40hp 2 stroke 3cyl with full power trim/tilt & electric start & find it a great little engine which fly alongs & i would go that way if dollars are the concern..

Marlin_Mike
07-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Yes.....the smell of a 2 stroke as you whip across the bay............. ahhhh love it....................... stick it up the greenies and get one...........hahahahahahaha

Kondo 1
07-11-2011, 06:58 PM
The yamaha 3 cyl is a beautiful motor.

Much less complex than the Etec or TLDI - will run forever and really even if it was 40% higher fuel consumption in a 40 are you going to make up the dollars, range is the only concern.

I have the pre-mix model in a 50 and using a differnt oil makes all the difference, the XD50 BRP oil is the best I found, yamalube and penrite quite a way behind but still not real smokey even at 50-1. Dont use valvoline or you will look like you are bee keeping. In the oil injected model I seriously doubt fumes would be much of an issue anyway. I found the XD50 made the motor noticeably quieter and smoother too. Range wise - I could do a trip Nudgee-Mud-Sandhills-Tangas-Curtin-Tangas-Nudgee on about 30-35L of fuel mostly at WOT - I have done the trip a few times and thats a rough average, pretty good I reckon (my Seajay territory 4.55 with the F50 it originally had on it was about 25L for that trip albeit a heavier boat)

Noise isn't a real issue with that motor either - I can hold a conversation with my passenger at 20-24 knots (WOT is 31) without an issue - wind noise is the killer.

If it was me I would in a heartbeat go the yamaha unless you had a need for some additional alternator amps (ETEC great for this), otherwise the resistance to dodgy fuel, reliability and simplicity would have me get the yamaha every time considering it is a bloody nice motor (especially for a 2 stroke) to begin with.

Do ETECS need a good battery to run? I kind of remember somewhere hearing they did not which is a good thing, I know my F70 does and I run 2 batteries with a VSR as a redundancy... I do like that the simple 2 strokes dont need that especially in a small boat.

**By good battery I mean it can be flattened but still serviceable ie not dropped a cell and with some voltage to power the computer etc.

hondaguy
07-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Had a look at the Yamaha 40hp 3cyl T&T on Saturday. Would be my first choice I think. The Tohatsu 40hp carby was the toss up many year ago but went with a Honda 4st instead. Has been a solid motor with no problems except mechanic fault when servicing it.
Can't remember what smoke fume is like first thing in the morning. Use to only use OMC or Quicksilver oil as found Shelvonie and other brands false ecomony with plugs fouling and general eratic running in the Johnson.
Etec and other high tec motors are great but prefer carbys as saltwater is a harsh enviroment and I am hard on gear and never have luck with elctrical things at all.
With couple of guys here having yamy 40hp I think that sums up a good choice.

Screamin Semen
07-11-2011, 10:11 PM
You after a Tiller hondaguy? I picked mine (Yamaha 3 Cyl 40hp) up for under 5k just the other week :)

Cheers SS :)

hondaguy
07-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Your a bad man SS.Tiller yes. That is a good price even for base model. Send me a pm or post with dealer. Is that T&T with electric start? A lazy bastard here.

TheSaint
09-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Is that T&T with electric start? A lazy bastard here.

Make sure you get it mate makes a boating with tiller alot more enjoyable..

Screamin Semen
09-11-2011, 06:36 PM
The Yamaha starts with 1 pull and has Hydro-lift...it really aint hard to go without PTT and Electric start and is not worth the extra $$$ IMO.

Cheers SS

hondaguy
09-11-2011, 06:48 PM
hows the hydro lift work? have not heard of it or seen on used. To tilt up normal use a bit of reverse and lift and turn off quickly. Does it work so you can trim the motor at speed? Will google it up.

marty+jojo
09-11-2011, 07:21 PM
I have a 40HP Yamaha 3 cyl 2 stroke tiller 2003 model and i have owned it since new. They are a great motor and you will not be disapointed. The only thing i wish i had is power T&T, it would make life way easier.Electric start would be nice but not as important as power T&T.
How much extra do they want for T&T and electric start?
I can go from Clontarf to Mud and back on around 17ltrs.
Marty.

Kondo 1
09-11-2011, 07:41 PM
I have one with hydro lift - I ended up putting the CMC trim and tilt on it.

With TT you get oil injection too which is nice - I would agree though they do start that easy electric start isn't critical - still I would go TT every day.

Screamin Semen
09-11-2011, 07:41 PM
hows the hydro lift work? have not heard of it or seen on used. To tilt up normal use a bit of reverse and lift and turn off quickly. Does it work so you can trim the motor at speed? Will google it up.

It is basically gas assisted...you flick lever down and you can lift with just 1 arm fairly easy :)

Cheers SS :)

marty+jojo
09-11-2011, 07:46 PM
I have one with hydro lift - I ended up putting the CMC trim and tilt on it.

With TT you get oil injection too which is nice - I would agree though they do start that easy electric start isn't critical - still I would go TT every day.

How much did it cost you to buy and get power T&T fitted?
Marty.

Kondo 1
09-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Gday Marty,

I installed it myself as it wasn't too hard at all, just need an engine crane.

Just looked up their website, I cant remember what I paid but it was around this - Current price is $1190

http://www.cmcsales.com.au/pages/contact.htm

Great product though - very well made and transformed the boat, mind you that boat does really need power trim to get the best out of it.

wak69
12-11-2011, 09:47 PM
I have a 40hp merc 2st on a kakadu karrier 445 rated to 60hp, i am currently looking at a 50hp 4st yammi 03 model, as i havnt had a 4 st before, any bad reports about 4st yammis or stick with 2st.

Sam.

gtonks77
13-11-2011, 05:37 AM
If your average daily hour use is say 3 hrs that means with the newer full of electronics 4 st and etec motors your up for a service every 33 trips at around 4 to 500 bucks a service. I currently run twin yammy three cylinder 2 st 70s and by servicing them yourself it negates the extra fuel use and all the three cylinder yammy from 40 to 90 that I have had have been bulletproof with no issues I love em. Cannot comment on etec but no dealer in port Lincoln south Australia will touch em as a commercial motor so that says a bit for them I believe. Go the 2 st 3 cyl yammy cheaper to buy than a four less to go wrong and learn to do the simple service yourself you will have a great lightweight grunty motor that can handle not being wrapped in cotton wool. Good luck