PDA

View Full Version : Self inflating PFD'S

Roughasguts
06-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Just looking at some TV Fishing show and they are sprooking inflatable PFD'S with spare cartridge for $70.00 bucks or so.

Question is why would anyone wear an inflatable PFD with fish hooks!! and sharp knives!! and anal fins on fish!!! that could simply puncture the PFD with out you knowing!!!

Being carefull is one thing but you ain't ever going to know if you! or your fishing mates have punctured one.

Cheers

Boat Hog
06-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Bloody hell ... you're right. The most sensible arguement I've heard in the matter of inflatable PFD's!:o

Cheers,

Tailortaker
06-11-2011, 06:44 PM
I think I was watching that same show and thinking the same thing !

Captain Seaweed
06-11-2011, 07:44 PM
I agree fellas totally, the bigger fear is actually having to set one off. I did a few that were out of date as a trial so I know what to expect in the event of. It is like a fat guy doing a full nelson on ya!!!!!! you literally cant move your head. I had to stab a hole in one to get it off as I was getting extremely clostraphobic.
Personally I think in the event of needing one I would prefer one of the fitted jackets like coastguard wear.
My 2 cents

Marty

Roughasguts
08-11-2011, 10:46 AM
It does make you wonder who done the risk assessment of these inflatables.::)

If they actually done a risk assessment on the suitability of the product in a fishing boat! that will be worn while baiting, casting, and retreiving a fish with gang hooks and trebles I dought they could ever be recomended as a 100% will keep you afloat product, therfore should be unsuitable for fishing purpose and used in an emergency only!:-?

Geez I hardly ever fish but can't remember how many times I have had a hook! or spike under my skin!!:o:o:o

Cheers

mal555
08-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Another thought is during a capsize on a barway, or being hit by a rogue wave close to shore and being trapped under the boat, especially a full cabin or hardtop with clears.
The jacket self inflates and pushes you up against the upturned cockpit sole. The only way out is to take it off, which is not easy in all the confusion, then swim out from underneath.
Even if you get thrown clear, you may still have to go back underneath to get a trapped crew (a skippers moral and legal responsibility) member and safety gear out anyway.

It's been mentioned that self inflating jackets are good if you are knocked out and thrown into the sea, which could work for yachties with swinging booms or heavy drinkers staggering around at night.

Nathan Tuskes
08-11-2011, 04:12 PM
bream bass and barra tournament guys have been using these thing for8-9years on the circuit and personally for 4 years with literally hundreds offishing hours wearing one, and mine still inflates every time when tested, notto say it can't happen but the outer bag that velcro’s together is pretty toughmaterial and for a knife blade to go through and puncher it i mean you would bein more trouble than worrying about a hole in your PFD.....the argument aboutauto inflate is the same as wearing a normal lifejacket you still have to takeit off if trapped under a boat, for this reason I’ve got a manual inflate PFD

cheers nathan

TopBhoy
08-11-2011, 05:21 PM
With the auto inflate PFDs I've looked at recently, they can be deflated and re-inflated manually after auto activation. Whether circumstances allow for that to happen in an emergency situation is impossible to answer until it happens. I'm looking about at the moment but my preference is for the auto inflate type with a crotch strap so that the body is supported in the water. Being unaware of a puncture is unlikely to happen in practice; if a hook or knife has penetrated the PFD to the extent it will have punctured, the offending item will have to be manually removed. Regular inspections should be part of a maintenance schedule just the same as what happens for rods,reels, etc..

ozscott
08-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Mate I know the point you are making and I thought about that before getting these vests. I wear one all the time, mainly as a guide to my kids. These things are pretty tough. If I managed to stab one hard enough with a knife to penetrate the jacket I am bloody lucky I had it on!!! The prospect of breaching it with a hook or knife and not knowing is very remote. The double header of having pentrated it not knowing AND then having to rely on it that day (bearing in mind that you should inspect the thing before outings or at least regularly and for that matter even blow it up by mouth every so often to check it) is even more remote. I would think winning the Melbourne Cup Trifector having put down a month's wages would be a safer bet...

I think the big thing for me is that I wouldnt wear a non-inflatable jacket fishing, especially in fairly calm conditions, but I just automatically put on the vest all the time. I must be safer with it.

Cheers

netmaker
08-11-2011, 06:43 PM
i have bought a stearns inflatable that is inside a bum bag that you wear around your waist. it cost me $54 including freight from outback adventures up the north coast. no vest required. once inflated you poke your head through the top. very happy with it and as it is already in a "bag" it is less likely to be punctured unnoticed. also has an oz standards number.

TheGurn
09-11-2011, 09:11 AM
My concern isn't so much about being punctured before it's inflated, but while you're floating around with it on.
How tough is the actual plastic bag? Looks flimsy to me.
I mean, scrambling around an upturned hull, brushing up against the prop or skeg, or a panic stricken passenger with long fingernails or a sharp bit of jewellery?

I've also found damaged items on my boat after a trip that haven't been reported, probably through embarrassment or not being able to afford to replace the items, or maybe just not noticed at the time.

There's always the chance this could happen to the inflatables.

I've got the manual jobbies, but still have concerns.
I intend to get comfortable vests as well.
If the occasion arises where I have time to make a choice, I think I'd ditch the inflatable and don the vest.

No matter how often I check them, I've just got too many doubts in my mind

Gurn

rowanda
09-11-2011, 02:50 PM
i have bought a stearns inflatable that is inside a bum bag that you wear around your waist. it cost me $54 including freight from outback adventures up the north coast. no vest required. once inflated you poke your head through the top. very happy with it and as it is already in a "bag" it is less likely to be punctured unnoticed. also has an oz standards number.

would this be a PFD 1 rating? Also, I don't think you'd be covered if leagally needing to be wearing one crossing a bar etc. Personally I have a manual inflate and as per other comments, you'd be hard pressed getting through the outside cover. I wear mine all the time and it sets the example on my boat. My kids all have jacket styles but I will look into getting my son one when he gets a bit older...as the jacket does get damn hot...I would only get him an auto one though.
I also check my jacket annually as recommended by the manufacturer as this is the legal requirement for them anyway. Manually weigh cylinder, inflate jacket (with the mouthpiece) and mostly inspect everything. Leave jacket inflated for 24 hours and ensure it doesn't go down, then produce a sign off card or certificate to prove it was done....I have been asked for it many times.

netmaker
09-11-2011, 03:33 PM
would this be a PFD 1 rating?

yep. pfd type 1 AS 1512.

netmaker
09-11-2011, 03:55 PM
here is a pic. weighs about a kilo. inflation bag looks sturdy. i have seen these online for $149. cant imagine there being any problems with the law as the product would be worn in accordance with the manufacturers advice and it meets required standards. would have bought it even if it didn't. i keep 2 pfds velcroed to the carpet lining the sides but still feel better about having one on me at all times that isn't uncomfortable. gone in the drink before and it aint pleasant. would hate to have it happen out deep in fast current:'(
cheers

Roughasguts
09-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Netmaker, interesting to see you have gone in the sea before, so have I.

Out from Swansea Heads one afternoon went for a swim, now if I had a jacket on I don't think I could have caught up with the boat with the wind and tide pushing the boat about as fast as I could swim! Now if I had a full jacket on the extra water resistance would have seen me boat on the rocks, and me looking a bigger dill than what I already am.

Of course to over come that problem I would have to tie me self to the boat, which is a great idea unless the engine is running and the rope gets caught in the prop.

So maybe a non inflating jacket for the swimmers, and self inflating for kids and non swimmers.

Thank's for your thoughts guy's.

Cheers

rowanda
09-11-2011, 09:39 PM
here is a pic. weighs about a kilo. inflation bag looks sturdy. i have seen these online for $149. cant imagine there being any problems with the law as the product would be worn in accordance with the manufacturers advice and it meets required standards. would have bought it even if it didn't. i keep 2 pfds velcroed to the carpet lining the sides but still feel better about having one on me at all times that isn't uncomfortable. gone in the drink before and it aint pleasant. would hate to have it happen out deep in fast current:'(
cheers

Thanks mate
haven't seen them before...very interesting idea

BM
09-11-2011, 10:04 PM
My problem with manual inflate PFD's is that they are not actually a PFD. I raised this recently at a drafting think tank/review board for the new marine regs in Vic. My point is and was that a PFD is designed to function with ZERO user input. A foam block type PFD is bouyant by design. An auto inflate jacket (on contact with water) becomes automatically bouyant. But a MANUAL inflate PFD requires the wearer to be CONSCIOUS and CAPABLE of activating the device. This is not a PFD in my view. It is an article of clothing that BECOMES a PFD when activated. It is not a PFD of its own accord. The department head said he fully understood my point and focus but said that manual inflate PFD's are considered PFD's globally and as such were being considered PFD's in Vic.

There will be a review of manual inflate PFD's (post mortem).......

Cheers

TopBhoy
09-11-2011, 10:38 PM
My problem with manual inflate PFD's is that they are not actually a PFD. I raised this recently at a drafting think tank/review board for the new marine regs in Vic. My point is and was that a PFD is designed to function with ZERO user input. A foam block type PFD is bouyant by design. An auto inflate jacket (on contact with water) becomes automatically bouyant. But a MANUAL inflate PFD requires the wearer to be CONSCIOUS and CAPABLE of activating the device. This is not a PFD in my view. It is an article of clothing that BECOMES a PFD when activated. It is not a PFD of its own accord. The department head said he fully understood my point and focus but said that manual inflate PFD's are considered PFD's globally and as such were being considered PFD's in Vic.

There will be a review of manual inflate PFD's (post mortem).......

Cheers

Cycling helmets which are Snell or CE marked and good enough for the rest of the world, are not seemingly good enough for Australia who require their own Australian Standard. Providing children have them fitted and every person on a boat who wants one can have it, I've no prejudice either way on PFDs; it's down to an individual adult choice. However for a public servant to point out equality of PFD Standards for not doing something is perverse and inconsistent. The precedent has been set in the realms of personal safety for an Australian Standard to be adopted which differs from other Global Standards.

Cheech
10-11-2011, 01:22 PM
I have 2 the same as netmaker. Mine have both manual inflation, and cylinder that is a manual activation by pulling a tab/handle. I figure if a high stress situation then pull the lever. Otherwise I would just self inflate it.

I weigh and inspect mine each year, but if being checked by water police I just show them my block type pfd's. Saves any questions.

netmaker
10-11-2011, 07:35 PM
too right cheech. i have 2 block type close at hand, one inflatabelt and 2 more block type new in bag stowed away up front. as i tell the boys in blue, those 2 wont save my life but will make them happy. the lifesavers are the inflatabelt and the 2 close at hand. last prawn season i was checked 2 days in a row. day 1 my close at hand jackets were fine. day 2 they were apparently too faded. must have been a damn bright moon that night! thats why the 2 new ones up front out of the sun.
cheers
davo