PDA

View Full Version : Severn river-sundown n.p.

Mr Squiggles
06-11-2011, 08:17 AM
I'm thinking of heading to above for a couple of days in a week or two. Is fishing in the N.P. allowed & if so, what size gear would I need, what lures etc & what should I target/expect :-?
Please be aware that being a "Coastal" boyo my inland freshwater knowledge could be written on the back of a postage stamp!
Cheers
Steve

wamjam
06-11-2011, 08:36 AM
Steve I went through Sundown NP years ago with the family ,theres some good 4wding. I casted a lure at most of the water holes for one small cod. I reckon if you walked the bank casting lures or spinner bait in the afternoon you should come up with a few cod. The main thing with lure casting for cod is to get that lure as close to one side of the structure and the bank as you can.

Scott

Mr Squiggles
06-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Thanks Scott
I was thinking along the spinner baits & maybe jitterbugs lineup & probably mono because of the snags. I'll hopefully be able to give a report about a hugely successful few days but it will probably just be another centimeter on my learning curve.
Steve

tunaticer
06-11-2011, 01:10 PM
The cod down in that area have a preference for a slow steady retreive using a short body deep diver or small Boomerangs. early morning before any mist burns off or late arvo into sunset they will rise to the surface for chatterbugs etc, probably be able to use one of the frog plastics effectively too I guess.

This time of the year pay special attention to the snakes along the creeks, there are plenty of them and they blend in well.

Sundown and Girraween are two very nice parks to visit with plenty of wildlife and fairly well set up.

aussiebasser
08-11-2011, 09:02 AM
You may want to wait until Cod season opens on December 1st. If you're heading into NSW, and in that area the border can be a bit invisible, make sure you have a NSW fishing license.

rossco
08-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Fish the low light to dark time of day/night and you should get something.

rabbi
08-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Lots of small cod down there now but there are still the odd big ones getting around.
Cod season opens the 1st of December.
When we used to fish it 10 to 25kg cod were the norm but some people used to eat em.
The local Tobacco growers down there used to feed big cod to their pigs as they were so plentiful.
Oh, and watch out for the panthers;D
Cheers,steve.

Mr Squiggles
08-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the tips fellas, especially about the border. That's something that I probably wouldn't have thought about. I nearly came a gutser on the Murray a few years ago on a trip to Vic with the missus thinking because I was over the Vic border I could fish the river. Luckily a bloke already fishing gave me the heads-up.
Thanks Again
Steve

wamjam
09-11-2011, 07:55 PM
I'm pretty sure the severn in sundown is QLD...But it won't hurt to check.

http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks/sundown/pdf/sundown-np-map-2010.pdf

Scott

rabbi
09-11-2011, 09:14 PM
You are right Scott,
I didnt realise there is another Severn river Near Glenlyon Dam in Queensland.

Sorry Mr Squiggles, the closed season for cod as mentioned is for the Severn in NSW.
I am not sure what is in THAT Severn River. Obviously Wamjam has been there.

I take all of what I said back, except for the Panther bit::);D;D

wamjam
09-11-2011, 10:08 PM
You are right Scott,
I didnt realise there is another Severn river Near Glenlyon Dam in Queensland.

Sorry Mr Squiggles, the closed season for cod as mentioned is for the Severn in NSW.
I am not sure what is in THAT Severn River. Obviously Wamjam has been there.

I take all of what I said back, except for the Panther bit::);D;D

These Severn rivers are very confusing. I was told when I was young that one was the Severn and the other was the Sevens... Now when I do a search they both come up... the Severn.
Anyway I did see some rather large paw prints along the banks at sundown...:-?:-?:o

Scott

Mr Squiggles
10-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Try finding out how many "Pebbly Beaches" there are!

aussiebasser
11-11-2011, 09:03 AM
From DPI Qld site: Murray Cod Closed Season 1 September to 30 November in Barwon, Macintyre or Dumaresq rivers

Please check carefully which river you are fishing in, some tend to change names as the go along, the Dumaresq being one of them. It would be very easy to drive around and not realise you've crossed the border or changed river down there. Even the locals get confused.

Mr Squiggles
11-11-2011, 01:03 PM
I'm becoming paranoid now. Might go to Pebbly Beach (the one near Coffs) although my hand held GPS should keep me in QLD I would hope. Don't know about panthers but have enclosed a photo of a cougar I once encountered.

wamjam
14-11-2011, 09:56 PM
:o:o:o:o:o:o Can you please post directions....:o:o:o

rabbi
16-11-2011, 07:24 AM
Hehehehehe.
Looks like a maneater:o
Used to see the odd one down around Gallaghers hole at Keera::)

PNG1M
18-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Maybe its a species of drop bear.

rabbi
19-11-2011, 01:24 AM
Maybe its a species of drop bear.
HeHe,
We got a new guy at our workplace and he is from another country.
He asked if I go out in the bush much?.
I said yeah but you have to watch out for the Drop Bears as its their mating season and they will jump out of trees on anyone walking underneath.
Should show him the pic but Im afraid we may never see him again if I do.::);D

wamjam
19-11-2011, 09:51 AM
HeHe,
We got a new guy at our workplace and he is from another country.
He asked if I go out in the bush much?.
I said yeah but you have to watch out for the Drop Bears as its their mating season and they will jump out of trees on anyone walking underneath.
Should show him the pic but Im afraid we may never see him again if I do.::);D

Harassment in the workplace.... ;D;D;D Are you still allowed to say things like that ??? Funny, wheres he from?

Scott

rabbi
19-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Somalian guy.
Nah he is pickin up on the oz sense of humour already and givin it back.
He had never seen a kangaroo or koala til recently and we got heaps where we work around Lismore.
I saw him a week or two back and he said"Gudday Mate, You hit any kangaroos lately?" cause he knew I had hit one recently.

Smart man as he can speak a few languages including French and is very quick off the mark.

I asked him if he went out bush where he came from and his quick reply was "No, the lions will eat you"
So he was not that worried about "drop bears" ( apparently they DO have Panthers where he came from)
He has shown a lot of surprise at the size of some of the fish around here and wants to have a crack at them one day..
Our workplace Harrassment policy has a clause that has my name in there somewhere;D;D:-X::)

tiny_tinny
26-11-2011, 06:44 AM
Try finding out how many "Pebbly Beaches" there are!

What about "Sandy Creeks?"

nickstock
02-12-2011, 08:07 AM
I never understood why people would want to hunt cougars.............but now I do!!!!!!!!!!!

In regards to the Severn / Sundown area, there are a Cod in there however I have only fished it over winter and all I got was a yella and a swag of 10 pound Carp.