PDA

View Full Version : 1st time trip out from burnett heads 25/9/11

outta line
03-11-2011, 10:12 PM
As i am new to posting this is a late report.. but better late than never i say and i am keen to get any feed back about the area from people who live up there as i am looking forward to getting back up there again soon.

We had a week up there, staying at Bargara beach caravan park in September - plenty of room for the boat, car, tent and tarp. Got out on the boat every second day we were there, launched from Burnett Heads - its a great ramp. First day we fished the 15 mile reef, with not a great deal of luck... a chinaman cod and a red throat and a lot of throw-backs, including a shark which my live fibre finally gave into and snapped!

2nd day out to the northern gutter took a few drifts to work out the ledge and line of drift once we had that fish started coming aboard cass with a nice parrot and a steady flow of small stuff until i get smashed by something that didnt wont to leave his home mr trout of around 6kg. Tide started to run after that with over 3m tides that gutter really get some water flowing through it. through over the pick missed the mark but didn't bother to re anchor . got a undersize red and a pan sized snapper then couldn't raise another fish so headed for home with some whale watching on the way.

day 3 out we headed north to the 18mile heaps of birds working that day through slugs around getting smashed buy mac tuna no size to them but always fun on light gear.Get out to 18mile heaps of fish showing but with only small stuff again moved and sounded around a bit with no real luck other than a parrot my thoughts were this reef must get hammered being on the way to lady elliot or i'am in the wrong spot floater went off while having lunch but spat the hooks.Headed home after that as the wind was starting to get up was a long punch back to the ramp.

was a good trip had a gr8 time and a bit of a look around at few spots a bit of ground work for next time .730857308773089730907309173092
cheers mick

thelump
05-11-2011, 05:47 AM
Couple of nice trout there mate. I will be up that way at xmas time so hope to get into a few.

outta line
07-11-2011, 01:47 PM
cheers lump.... its a top spot up there not to far of a drive either... we were thinking of going back at xmas as well . that is if i get time off work
cheers mick

Goldfinch
14-11-2011, 11:43 PM
Hey Mick, I've fished off Burnett a couple of times and found a few ways to catch a few different species. During winter at the 15 mile reef, Sthern end you can jigg up some yakkas and float them off the back of the boat at anchor under a balloon and have some fun with Northern Bluefin Tuna, as many as you want to fight around 8 to 10 kg's. Then on sunset, with pillies or plastics you will get snapper after snapper in the 50 to 70cm size in 20-25m of water. I've left them biting both times after bagging out. Bagara Caravan Park is a great spot to base and yes, the ramp at Burnett is beter than any in Noosa!!!!! Have fun, Dave

outta line
15-11-2011, 07:16 PM
cheers dave....ill keep that in mind for next time i am up that way. Hopefully spend more time on the water now i have a rough idea whats up there and will be trying sun up and sun set. Didnt see any yakkas but sent a few fusiliers back down only to be bitten in half or sharked i should of had one floating on the surface instead of a pilly.
cheers mick

Goldfinch
18-11-2011, 10:39 AM
The Southern end of the 15 mile reef holds loads of yakkas. You will see clouds on your sonar. Drop a bait jig down and get a load. That's the local bait that the tuna go for there. Best of luck.

cuzzamundi
18-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Sounds like a successful trip, mate. How big is your rig you're takin out?

Cuzza

outta line
20-11-2011, 01:14 PM
cheers again dave...not many fish will swim past a live yakka... i was fishing northern end but will have a better look next time as it was more of a holiday than a fishing trip.
cuzza...had a gr8 time up there ....was a good to get a few nice fish it kept my wife keen as she usually gets sea sic offshore..I have a 6m seafarer victory with a 200 4stroke on the back..
cheers mick