PDA

View Full Version : PFD Service - Essentials 150N

Brad O
02-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Hi My manual self-inflating PFDs are coming around for service. I understand that I can self service. The instructions say that I should inspect the CO2 cylinder and replace if necessary then test the manual valve by pulling the cord of course this wrecks the green firing indicator! The thing which annoys me is that I can only buy a kit including a CO2 cylinder and firing indicator for $20 when I'll only need the indicator worth as few cents (i.e. if the CO2 cylinder is OK) ! Probably wouldn't be too bad if the PFD manuf. didn't recommend a 3yr return to manuf. service, for $90, so ultimately it would almost cheaper to buy new ones rather than have them manuf. serviced! So at the end of 3yrs I'll need to buy new ones. Is anyone aware of a brand with more reasonable servicing cost or longer life (or am I just a penny pincher)? I do acknowledge safety is worth whatever it costs nonetheless I have the nagging feeling that I'm being ripped off. Regards Brad

spelchek
02-11-2011, 09:07 PM
I do acknowledge safety is worth whatever it costsThen toss em and buy self-inflating. Seriously.
(Keep one tho, and let the mother in law use it when she visits - you just never know, yknow).

I do agree with you about the servicing costs of inflatables. And out of interest, what sort of 'certification' do you need to produce when inspected if you self-service? Mine is coming up to it's 1yr service and I'm interested to know as well.

Moonlighter
03-11-2011, 09:18 AM

You don't need to use the cylinder to do the inflation test - there is a mouthpiece that you can use to inflate the jacket and that is adequate for the annual test.

The testing process is quite simple and yes, it is legal and easy to do it yourself.

I have attached the checklist/form that I use to record my testing process. Feel free to use it if you like, but (disclaimer coming!) no warranty or responsibility!

Just be aware though, these PFD's do have "use by date" after which they are simply thrown away - I noticed that my original ones are due to expire early next year, so will have to replace them then.

Cheers

ML

spelchek
03-11-2011, 09:35 AM
That's fantastic. Thanks Moonlighter. Is anyone able to advise on the 'legality' of Moonlighters checklist? IE - would it be legally considered adequate documentation/certification?

One more question - does the self inflating mechanism (on self-inflators) need to be assessed or tested? If so, how?

Thanks again ML!

Angry
03-11-2011, 10:59 AM
The legislation requires that the PDF be serviced "in accordance with the manufacturers recomendations".

Yopu nee to go on line & print off the relevant section of the legislation & the revelvant manufacturers recomendationms.

Weve had MSB guys down here telling everyone that you need the PFD serviced every 12 months ????.

When we checked we found this not to be correct.

Check manufacturers website for ervicing recommendations.

Carry copies with you, we produced copies to MSb several weeks ago & they had to back down.

Moonlighter
03-11-2011, 01:14 PM
As I understand it, the law in Qld also requires the inflatible PFD's to be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.

So, if yours get checked by the cops, fisheries etc they will look on them to see if the manufacturer has printed somewhere how often they recommend they be serviced.

So yes, I agree with Angry that this might not be every year. Mine say every 2 years.

My checklist closely resembles :-Xone used by one of the manufacturer's;D. I complete it and carry it in a plastic sleeve in my safety grab bag, just in case on officer wants to see it. I think that they would be looking for trouble if they tried to book me after I showed this to them as evidence of my servicing process. They would have to prove that the servicing wasnt done, not the other way around, and this record provides pretty good proof that they would somehow have to refute!

Oh, also forgot to mention, once you've done the check and recorded it on the form, on the jacket somewhere on the inside, you'll find a table printed where you write the date of the check and initial it. That's what the authorities will look for first.

Cheers

ML