PDA

View Full Version : How much metho in the tank?

TimiBoy
31-10-2011, 08:15 AM
We went to a wedding on South Straddie on the weekend, in Rhys' Flamin' Riptide. On our return, she sputtered and died just as Mumsy was stepping onto the pontoon. After that I couldn't get her to idle for long, and most times she died when I revved her in neutral - you know, gave me a few revs, but then died off.

So today I figure I'll pop the fuel filter to get any water out, and want to put some metho on the 100 - 120 litres of petrol in the tank, to clean up any excess H2O. How much though? And how much is too much?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

stue2
31-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Well this was my question a while ago when i flushed the tank we mix the bike fuel up in. Also did the bike tank. I had the tanks all but empty and added a cup full to each which I thought would be enough to slosh around then added about a litre of fuel for the final rinse and then drained it all out. I put about a cup full back in the new mix of 20 lts and haven't had anymore trouble. Don't know if this was right but it seemed to run through the bikes fine.
Sound like there could be a bit of water in there though Tim. Might pay to suck a bit of fuel off the bottom first if that is possible.

Cheers Stu

fishfeeder
31-10-2011, 01:10 PM
I would wind the jocky wheel up nice and high the night before, so the water will settle in the lowest part of the tank, then just hook up a 12volt fuel pump (car wreckers for about $10) to the pipe that goes to the filter and pump out about 2 jerry cans of fuel, then replace the fuel filter. It sounds a bit redneck but its faster then siphoning it out.

I would add 1 bottle of Metho to 100Litres of Premium fuel and go boating.

Cheers
Brett

Jabba_
31-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Timi, Don't use metho in modern motors, it could cause more harm then good... I have used Fuel octor and StaBil with great success in the past... If you have a water in fuel that you cant get out,,, Fuel Doctor will be the best stuff to use... You can buy Fuel Dr from Super Cheap Auto..

Check out the video in the link.. http://www.fueldoctors.com/

PinHead
31-10-2011, 05:32 PM
are you sure it is water Tim and not an electrical or electronic problem with the motor?

kitty_cat
31-10-2011, 06:04 PM
fuel doctor is best , any good marine chanderly will stock

Spaniard_King
31-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Tim have you drained the water from the high pressure fuel pump???

If left it will rust the pump out.

You should also empty out the LP filter at the front of the engine as well

Jabba_
31-10-2011, 08:44 PM
Hi Gary, once the High pressure fuel pump is rusted, is it repairable? or does it have to be replaced?

Spaniard_King
31-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Jabba, they (all brands) are made of steel, in the perfect world they should come into contact with minimal amounts of moisture. They will run for thousands of hours. What happens is they begin to rust and flakes will block filters and possibly injectors.

TimiBoy
01-11-2011, 07:01 AM
No, I'm not certain it's water, but it seems to me that's the place to start looking. I will pick up some fuel Doctor today if I can find some friggin' time, and if that doesn't work, some kind of plan B will be in order.

Thanks for your responses and pm's,

Tim

TheRealAndy
01-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Get some of this stuff, then you know: http://www.fuel-testers.com/quikcheck.html

Forgot to add, this should be available through most tohatsu dealers.

Jabba_
01-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Jabba, they (all brands) are made of steel, in the perfect world they should come into contact with minimal amounts of moisture. They will run for thousands of hours. What happens is they begin to rust and flakes will block filters and possibly injectors.

Thanks Gary,, I assumed it's relates to all motors, including automotive.. I was just curious is the pump was repairable, using a kit. I assume that the pumps are a throw away once rust starts to form...

Steboe
01-11-2011, 12:02 PM
Metho is 95% ethanol, the same stuff that's in E10

Ken

Dignity
01-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Do they still add methanol to the Ethynol as this is used to be why it was called Meth - ylated Spirits. I suspect that there are other additives that used to be added mainly to make it unpalatable, but then again these days, who knows what's in it.

TimiBoy
02-11-2011, 06:10 AM
Metho is 95% ethanol, the same stuff that's in E10

Ken

Normally only 90%, the rest is Methanol and other stuff. The folks at Rehab in Tasmania when I used to supply them as a Pharmacy Distributor used to tell me that it was still drinkable if you filtered it through bread, then cut it with cordial. Not very nice though...

Cheers,

Tim

fishfeeder
02-11-2011, 09:06 AM
Was that served in a tall glass with ice ??
Back to the fuel problem, I am interested in finding the best product to put in say a 1/2 tank to help the fuel last between outings and maybe stop the condensation issue if possible ??
I don't fill up to the day before so then it has 100Litres of new fuel to mix with 100Lites of say 3-5 week fuel

Cheers
Brett

Steboe
02-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Tim, buy the good metho, it has less water in it

Ken

http://www.recochem.com.au/files/downloads/Methylated_Spirits_Sep11.pdf

mac64pc
02-11-2011, 08:47 PM
I would rather keep the tank full and run on 3-5 week old fuel, than leave the tank half full and risk condensation.

Triple
02-11-2011, 10:40 PM
fuel doctor is best , any good marine chanderly will stock
+1 (supercheap also stock it)