PDA

View Full Version : Run carby dry or not

midcoast learner
29-10-2011, 06:13 PM
I use premix 2 stroke in my 88 johnson 110 hp.One mechanic said disconnect fuel line and run the carby dry when i am finished so not to have oil residue remain in the carby.Another mechanic said don't disconnect fuel line just turn the engine off so there is oil in cylinders and such so its not a dry start.Any advice?.

Roughasguts
29-10-2011, 07:44 PM
I keep my fuel bulb primed been doing it over 30 years.... sure I drain the carbs fuel bowl then prime again,once in a while and it can smoke like HELL!!!! but who cares oil is then getting to your bore Crank, rings and piston. and the best bit no dried out carb gasket seals ETC.....

Cheers!

ronmac
30-10-2011, 07:11 AM
I always leave mine full, nothing worse than dried out leaking gaskets. cheers ron.

ozscott
30-10-2011, 08:03 AM
Been running my injected (at reed valves) yammy v4 dry for a while. No more crap getting into the idle circuit of the carbs. That's different to pre mix though where you are waiting for the oil to run through with the petrol. Cheers

Fed
30-10-2011, 09:03 AM
The only thing I've noticed is they start easier if you run them dry and that used to be the recommendation years ago with premix but since oil injection came in 1000s of people have just been turning them off without any problems.
I wouldn't lose any sleep over doing it either way with a premix motor.

1)Dry start means no oil. 2)dry gaskets leaking 3)crap in idle circuits.... ALL VOODOO.

1)Your motor won't run or start without fuel & if you have fuel you have oil.

2)There are no gaskets below the carby bowl fuel level aside from the drain plug O rings so I'd like to know what gaskets dry out & leak?

3)Running a carby dry won't stop crap getting into the idle circuits.

Been running my injected (at reed valves) yammy v4 dry for a while.
I'm not familiar with Yammys at all Ozscott does it smoke much when it's running out, that just seems so weird to me.

Roughasguts
30-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Float bowl gasket dries out there Fed! seen it and replaced gaskets many, many times on motors stored for some time. Even older Carby fueled vehicles that run on LPG and never run the petrol up the carb ends up leaking after a while! the gasket dries out and shrinks! float bowl screws are then loose petrol spews everywhere.

Cheers.

midcoast learner
30-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone.Think i'll leave the fuel in the carby and not run it dry.I kick it over every week if i'm not using it so should be ok.

ozscott
30-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Fed running the bowls as dry as I can without draining them has certainly helped me. That's for sure. Cheers