PDA

View Full Version : My Haines TD157

MitchCalcutt
29-10-2011, 07:53 AM
7295072949729487294772950This time last exactly I purchased my new boat, like checking out a hot chick from a distance I perved for a bit then decided to check her out a bit closer. After a bit I decided this boat was the boat for me. I have a bad back and now have troubles fishing from tinnies due to the inherent slap type ride you get when travelling in chop. So for a while now I’ve been looking for a glass boat. Without even a first date with this boat I went the grope and put a deposit on it and that was 12 months ago. My new boat was a Haines TD157 with a Suzuki 40. At purchase the boat came as a shell with side combing, a 130lt tank and four seats. The 40 was always under powered so it was the first thing to change. Along came a Yamaha 60 four stroke, new, what a difference that made. With six months to ponder what might be, I came up with the configuration that will work for me. I’m a big believer in less is more but still having enough not to be under done. I came up with a configuration not standard. For those of you who don’t know this particular boat, all the fittings are modular. Chose a style that suites you and get it fitted. I went for the casting platform with plumed kill tank and rear casting platform. Because I have a tiller the driver’s pedestal seat had to come forward 200mm, by doing this it became easier to drive as before the gear leaver rubbed on my arm while I was driving.
Wow, the first I got to ride in the boat all kitted out was the arvo I arrived at Hinchinbrook. The entire dynamics of the ride have changed from what I thought was great to a whole new fantastic. I ran the engine at low revs to see what it would take to get it out of the hole, easy, no foil yet and not needed. Late that arvo the wind was bitching across the open water so I opened it up straight into it, no problem, I couldn’t stop smiling. I had to lol when I flew past a hornet that was slapping and banging along at half speed to stay alive.
The boys from The Haines Group did exactly what was asked of them and the quality of the work was exceptional. To be honest after seeing the finished product of a couple of dads boats I was worried about the end result of mine, no problems at all.
To wind it up, I chose against rod lockers and the rest of the bells and whistles, so what I have is exactly what I wanted. A boat with just enough storage space for my needs, stable beyond my expectations, a motor to suite the weight and conditions I fish, and my back thanks me all the way to the bank.
Photos to follow as soon as I mowe the lawn.
Mitch

Reel Blue
29-10-2011, 08:11 AM
Thanks Mitch. I always enjoy reading boat reports and the best ones are usually written by someone who has spent a lot of time in them rather than a journalist who goes for a quick test run. I have seen one at the Rainbow Comp and it is a nice looking boat.

shane450
29-10-2011, 09:25 AM
I m interested in the pics , I m currently in the market for a lure casting rig .