PDA

View Full Version : Another Cat Lover

wave dancer
28-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Hi guys, My name is Mick and the missus and I have just purchased a 5.5m shark cat. She is an original Bruce Harris design (1979 model) and in good nic for her age. After a few runs in the bay we took the old girl up to Pete (the owner of valet boat services) well known to this site as Grand Marlin. It undertook a complete rewire, electronics fitted, customised dash, fuel system completely redone including fuel sensors. New switches, steering wheel and the list goes on. I was very impressed with Pete's professionalism, quality of workmanship, friendly nature and his valued opinions and advice. I rate his service as second to none. The boat will be going back to Pete in the near future as time and money permits. I am looking to acheive a safe and reliable fishing platform.
I am well aware of the cat Vs mono hull saga and the choice of outboard motors, it's no different to Holden Vs Ford. Everybody has their own views and opinions which I respect. If your boat suits your needs and budget and is safe I take my hat off to you.
We are looking forward to attending next months meet and greet at Tangalooma. I love a cold beer, a good yarn and am always keen to learn more about fishing and boating in general. Cheers Mick ;D

gofishin
29-10-2011, 06:35 AM
Well done Mick, I'm sure she will serve you well. My first 'cat' experiece was in one of these in 82. Over-powerd, but damn she was quick and smooth... and wet :o. But this trade off was worth the smooth ride. Enjoy.
Cheers
Brendon

wave dancer
29-10-2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks Brendon, as this is my first cat i am open to any advice and words of wisdom on does and dont's from any cat owners or anyone who has owned one in the past. You are dead right about being quick, evening being old motors the twin 140s sure push the old girl along. Hoping too put new outboards on in the near future as money permits but am still getting out and enjoying the boat and fishing. I had the motors checked out includeing compression tests and so on and so far they havent let me down
Cheers
Mick.

flatstrap
29-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Welcome to the Cat fraternity. The rivalry (?) between Cats and Monos is an interesting one. Very similar to Ford-Holden one. I think it benefits both camps to have an ongoing friendly rivalry. Just to stir up the debate; look at the type of boat that goes offshore racing. To the point, Riviera's offshore machine. CAT!
I have owned both types. My opinion: For smooth easy transport on a trailer MONO
For open water, definitely CAT.
Enjoy the friendly banter.

Fed
30-10-2011, 09:53 AM
My advice, take it easy until you learn how to drive it especially trimming the motors and your white knuckles will return to normal when your heart rate slows down.
I hope you're going to post some pictures.