PDA

View Full Version : Wild Banks Arti!

scoota
27-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Had a quick look at the Wild Banks artificial reef structures and seems very impressive on the sounder.
Loaded up with yakkas and slimmies off the structure then drifted some baits over and around it with baits set high, mid and low in the water column for mixed success.
High was untouched, mid caught a small 95cm 7kg cobia and the low caught grinners....
Only had a look at 2 of the 3 structures but definately worth a stop for livies on the way out further in future. Will hold other species at times but with a no anchor policy you miss the opportunity to pick down and burley fish off the structure with livies and floaters etc...
Not far from another well known bait collecting and fishing spot.
Will try for mackies in coming months and possibly little blacks...

Scoota...

Playtime
27-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Scoot
Good to hear these things are starting already to hold bait. How deep are they set...seems from the chart there in over 30 meters?

Westytoo
28-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Scoota, where did you read about the no anchor policy? I had a quick look at the notice to mariners and it gave 4 marks for the outside area of the artificials and said anchor with caution in this area due to the artificial structures.

vertico
28-10-2011, 10:17 PM
good luck if you hook up to the structure off the wild banks looks very metallic and strong :P

Birdy
29-10-2011, 07:33 PM
This is the Western Arti, they are big.The exact co-ords are available on the DPI website and they have a no anchor rule when in the immediate area I believe.
This was taken the week they went in,hence nuthing on it , last time I went over the Eastern one it had a heap of bait on it.The show on the screen that looks like bait was infact a read from the edge of the arti on the previous pass and not fish.
I think they will spread the load of the popular wreck not far from them and this can only be a good thing.

Birdy

scoota
06-11-2011, 07:41 PM
As for anchoring the BNB has an article specifying no anchoring but notice to mariners advised using caution when anchoring in the area.
Can pretty much guarantee dusting a pick if you drift into the structure.
Had a mate try to move the middle one further west on 80lb braid today but failed....

Scoota...