PDA

View Full Version : Cania help

pipifin
27-10-2011, 12:31 PM
In a couple of weeks time, the family and myself are heading to Cania Dam for a few days. I'm going to strap the kayak on the roof and would like to fling some lures or even target some redclaw while we are there. Now my experience of freshwater fishing is limited.... actually, it's limited to drinking "freshwater" while fishing in the salty stuff. I'm happy to play hit and miss as far as fishing goes, but would like to know what sort of species to expect (and their eating qualities). As far a s the redclaw go? am I likely to get any? where do I drop the pots? (borrowed from a neighbor). Close to shore? in a hole? I have no idea!!! any help would be greatly appreciated.

warti
27-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Hit the bloke up at the little kiosk/tackle shop at the dam itself. He is generally very helpful and talks to the people fishing there so is up to date with whats going on.

oldboot
27-10-2011, 11:16 PM
I went up there for a look a couple off weeks ago when passing , with a view to a future trip.

Cania is a very deep dam with steep drop offs at the edges and it is pretty full at the moment , so i expect most of the action is going to be arround the edges.

from memory it has gold and silver perch, saratoga, bass and catfish.

there looked to be some structure arroud the edges...there is suposed to be some standing timber at the far end in 3 moon creek , but that would be a mathon paddle.

I had a look at the two caravan parks........both are pretty decent , the one closer to the dam is fancier and has its own creek access......I noticed they seem to have a hire boat..or at least someone does.

because the dam is pretty full the boat ramp is pretty short..... with a yack or canoe ya woulnt bother you would toss in off the grass.......not so long ago it was a decent drive from the top of the boat ramp to the waters edge.

Its been full for a while now, so the bottom near the water line is pretty clean and all the drowned grass is long gone.

hope this helps...don't forget to report after the trip.

cant comment about the redclaw.

cheers