PDA

View Full Version : trout sp's

Ryan the slayer
23-10-2011, 04:43 PM
g-day all i am a keen trout fisherman am thinking about trying soft plastics for them have used them in salt for flathead sucsesfuly but dont know what type for trout can anyone help me out i mainly fish the ebor area but my next trip will include new england snoweys vic tas sa and wa so am interested in all areas

XtremeBoony
23-10-2011, 05:53 PM
was a bout to give u a write up mate but thought u meant coral trout ;D::);D

sorry

cheers from boony

Out-Station
23-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Ryan, being a born and bread ebor boy i've fished for trout all over that area for years (an still do when i go see the oldies), i use a fly but a took a mate home a few years back who's right into the tournament bass seen here in seq. He did ok on plastics, small ones (micro) with heaps of wrigly bits and action (i'm not an sp fisherman so just saying what i saw). They didn't do as well as fur and feather but he held his own and in that tight water the plastics allowed for heaps more finess than a spinner or lure. I'd go ultra light, ultra small keep the heads to the very lightest you can and i recon you will do ok. Bit early down that way yet, best fising is dec/jan.

Cheer's, Scott

Ryan the slayer
23-10-2011, 07:56 PM
yeah bit cold yet planing to be down there 24th of december heading to styx love it down there thanks for the info

dinodadog
24-10-2011, 06:04 AM
Small squidgee wriglers inrainbow trout colour works well and so do sx40 hardbodies

Funchy
26-10-2011, 07:16 AM
G'day Ryan,

Over here in Utah I fish for trout regularly. I always listened to the locals here and used the tried and true methods with pretty good success. As I am heading home soon I began to stock up on soft plastics for flatties etc in salt water. I thought I would give SP's a go here as I was targetting Bass, however it soon became apparent that trout like SP's. I was up at a lake here in Utah called Strawberry and caught about 8 in 1 session (Cut throat and rainbows). Since then I have been using mainly SP's. I find the best results on Berkley minnow grub paddle tail 3 inch in pumpkin seed. (see pics with said SP in trouts gob. Got that one this weekend at Otter Creek southern Utah!). I also found that 3 inch minnows in a range of colours also work.

Anyway, this experience is obviously north american based and may not work back home but.....

Anyway mate good luck, I reckon if you present well, match the hatch and persist you will come up trumps.

Ryan the slayer
18-11-2011, 06:49 PM
scotty cannot reply to your pm it says you have to many saved ones