PDA

View Full Version : 1994 OMC Cobra Stern Drive water cooling system - gotta wee problem!

ThePinkPanther
23-10-2011, 04:31 PM
I had this leg serviced about six weeks back and since that date, as soon as I use the stabilizer trim to raise the bow, the temperature rapidly increases, lower the nose and down comes the temp.

Couple things I have done:

1. New thermostat
2. New impeller
3. Cleaned and descaled the cylinder head pick up assembly, checked its wiring etc, all OK

Temp increase is "real" as the thermostat housing gets almost too hot to touch

The temp increases about thirty degrees, normally runs round the 160 mark but reaches 200+ in only a few seconds, likewise the decrease is unusually rapid, returns to normal in a matter of a few seconds.

It just has to be a problem with a water intake hose - of which there is only one but a big one with O/D of about one and a half inches. Somehow this is getting crushed but from what I can see inside there are no restrictions there. Impossible to see anything from under the outside of the leg so what can it be?

No here's the weird bit, if I flatten it about 4300 RPM, the temp will stay relatively normal, obviously more (faster) water flow getting past the intake holes (wonder if they could be blocked inside?)

Other thing is that in normal idle there is no sign of Temp problem, only on the plane at speed and playing with the trim - got me beaten it has!

Any ideas guys?

propdinger
23-10-2011, 04:50 PM
maybe the hose has delaminated inside and causing it to close under certain circumstances??