PDA

View Full Version : Viewes on spraying new trailers

Volvo
21-10-2011, 08:12 PM
okay would like to hear what peoples viewes are on spraying techtol etc up the channels of brand new Galvo trailers ??..Have heard arguments for and against , mainly against for the first twelve to twenty four months due to the covering of the galvenised layer on the metal??
Know you shouldnt paint over the galvo but what about techtol, fishoil, lanolin oil etc????
Cheers

Giffo65
22-10-2011, 06:27 AM
I did mine in Tectyl a few days after I got it home from the galvanising place,best thing you could do I think.I thinned the Tectyl down with white spirits and sprayed it up inside the box section with a degreasing gun.You cannot get it regalvanised when covered in Tectyl, but I got 9 years out of my last trailer that had a lot of use before I sold it.

captain rednut
22-10-2011, 06:30 AM
tectyl 506 is the stuff to use! its proven to be the best ive found, it needs to be done every year for the best protection, my last trailer was 4 years old used every weekend and still had no rust at all visible when i sold it. cheers cr

Dan5
22-10-2011, 07:31 AM
My new trailer will have a coat of lanolin before it hits the water.....last trailer was coated from new and 3.5 years later had no sign of rust whatsoever.

Dan

Jarrah Jack
22-10-2011, 09:07 AM
There is a guy who gets on here occasionally who works for Dunbier. He mentioned once that they have a bit of trouble with trailers that are sprayed with lanolin but didn't explain why. I would seriously consider sealing off all chanels and putting in some tuna oil, then there would be no chance of rust in the inside.

Volvo
22-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Cheers all and keep the replies comming in ey:)..Tectyl was my consideration also but thought of "What else to mix with " not only to thin it a tad but also to improve the mixture???..If it needs improving that is??.Giffo you mentioned doing it with a degreasing gun..Mind eloborating a tad please..
Cheers

Dan5
22-10-2011, 04:41 PM
There is a guy who gets on here occasionally who works for Dunbier. He mentioned once that they have a bit of trouble with trailers that are sprayed with lanolin but didn't explain why. I would seriously consider sealing off all chanels and putting in some tuna oil, then there would be no chance of rust in the inside.

Maybe all the Kiwis stand around your trailer looking.....mmmmm.....agitated....confused....exit ed....?

Dan

undasize
22-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Hi Guys , From my recent experience whatever you do i would not use Lanolin--- again !!! My brand new Dunbier trailer has had the gal eaten or reacted to the thick coating of lanolin i gave it !!! Even the boss or director of Lanolin agreed that Lanolin can cause "White Rust " to some gal trailers ,then tried to tell me ," but you can buy this orange product to remove the lanolin "!! which is where i hung up the phone .All the local guys around my way are using a squirt or Inox every now and then . Cheers Undasize,

Volvo
22-10-2011, 08:12 PM
This is where threads like this come in handy drawing on others experience prior to doing anything..Purchased myself a new trailer for the tinny and wanted to do something extra towards long term prevention of corrosion so thought ide draw info from the masses:) beforehand..
Tectyl looks like what the answer is going to be for the time being.. Anyhow will sit back and suss it further beforehand ..
Cheers

Giffo65
23-10-2011, 06:40 AM
Volvo

The degresing gun is used with an air commpressor.The one I have is similar to this one but without the pot,just a pickup tube.
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=degreasing%20gun&source=web&cd=19&ved=0CGoQFjAIOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.machineryhouse.com.au%2FPrint %3FCode%3DS430&ei=aCijToqVHKuhiAffo_W2AQ&usg=AFQjCNGQSZo7VrDbvXI_prXAzbpO8g6fmg

Fed
23-10-2011, 07:09 AM
I don't even wash my trailers down let alone spray them with fancy goop, gal doesn't rust.
What gets me is the crappy hardware they use, cad plated nylock nuts, bolts and split pins in particular. Thinking about changing mine to stainless.

Jarrah Jack
23-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Maybe all the Kiwis stand around your trailer looking.....mmmmm.....agitated....confused....exit ed....?

Dan

Took me a while to work that one out...;D;D;D;D

wirlybird
23-10-2011, 04:44 PM
i fill my trailer with dead engine oil and then paint the trailer with the oil. Step 2 drive it down a dirt road the dust makes the oil stick to the trailer its worked for me

Crocodile
23-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Hello Fed,

be careful with the stainless.
It is OK to use on rollers etc.
Not OK to use on highly stressed parts like spring hangers and U bolts, stainless will crack under those loads.

Volvo
23-10-2011, 06:35 PM
I did mine in Tectyl a few days after I got it home from the galvanising place,best thing you could do I think.I thinned the Tectyl down with white spirits and sprayed it up inside the box section with a degreasing gun.You cannot get it regalvanised when covered in Tectyl, but I got 9 years out of my last trailer that had a lot of use before I sold it.

Wont spray the tectyl without thinning it??...What i was thinking of doing is get a long piece of plastic conduit (Thin) connect a sponge to the end of it, dip it in tectyl and run it back n forth up the trailers channel..Was thinking at least will get it to pentetrate a tad further in as well as thicker..
Was looking at some stuff at Super Cheap today called 3M Rust Preventer, but the stuff was black as a!! and thought "That would be lovely all over a new gal trailer ey!!!!...Anyway go get the tectyl tomorrow and get into it..

tunaticer
23-10-2011, 08:02 PM
You can use the micro sprayers they use in the irrigation systems on the end of a long hose to spray inside the chassis. Just use one of the pressure sprayer bottles and remove the existing nozzle and push over the clear plastic hose of a suitable length and clamp it there, then fit a micro spray nozzle from bunnings in the other end of the hose and feed the lot up the ends of the tubes and spray the insides well. Do the insides before the outside because the hose will hold a substantial amount you can drain back into the bottle to spray the outside with. You do not need an air compressor for the job if you don't have one handy. A spray bottle is about $10 and the hose a few bucks and a nozzle about 30 cents.

IcyDuck
24-10-2011, 09:12 AM
I feel like I'm missing something! My galvanised Dunbier is nearly 7 years old and not a speck of rust on it. No special treatment, although I don't dunk it at the ramp. All I do is give it a really good rinse with fresh water when I get home and spray a bit of inox onto the cables, calipers etc. I've had a look at a few second hand boats over the past few months in yards etc. and I am amazed at how bad the trailers look and most are a lot newer than mine.

Fed
24-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Hello Fed,

be careful with the stainless.
It is OK to use on rollers etc.
Not OK to use on highly stressed parts like spring hangers and U bolts, stainless will crack under those loads.
I'm right on it mate but thanks for the heads up.

Giveitacrack
24-10-2011, 11:17 AM
I have a 6 yr old redco trailer which has been used lots.I rinse throughly then spray the springs/axl hubs with lanoline every few months.No rust on trailer frame at all.

Volvo
24-10-2011, 06:20 PM
Done, finitokaputolamusica ;D...Just finished about an hour ago..Did the sponge to the flex plastic tube and worked atreat except you only get about three goes with the sponge as i cut it large enough to get to the tops, sides and bottoms of the channel then brushed the outside back halfe that mainly get dunked..(all in all,about four pieces of sponge used)...
Yep and dont doubt that some may even get their six, ten years without rusty attacking their trailer but have seen trailers especially my old one thats had two lots of pulloing apart and redoing as well as other trailers ive seen what salt water can do to tell me if i pay XXX amount of $$ on a trailer then a hundred or two extra and a wee bit of elbow grease may go a long way to making that trailer last yonks longer..
Before going ahead i did two things (a) put this thread up to get a collective viewe on the idea and (b) rang the manufacturer and he even recomends doing the tectyl bit to get that extra wee bit of protection..
Otherewise what cn i say??, Thanking all very much for the wise comments and advise and other than that Ëach to their own i guess;)...
Cheers

bigfella23
26-10-2011, 07:27 AM
I am the guy from Dunbier. We have had terrible and costly results from Lanolin. It seems to form a barrier that the salt can pass through. It seems to eat the trailer away from inside. Please dont use.

Tailortaker
26-10-2011, 03:18 PM
I am the guy from Dunbier. We have had terrible and costly results from Lanolin. It seems to form a barrier that the salt can pass through. It seems to eat the trailer away from inside. Please dont use.
What do you recommend doing bigella ? I have a new boat and trailer on it's way so your advice would be great.
Cheers, TT

johncar
26-10-2011, 06:28 PM
I used to use tectal, but got sick of the messy stuff, although it did help to preserve the trailer if applied regularly.
These days I just use Inox or Lanox around the more vulnerable areas, occasionally the whole trailer and just thoroughly hose down the rest, keeps the trailer like new and no messy buildup.

litenup
28-10-2011, 10:20 AM
I covered my new trailer with Tectyl, few months later it went white. The galvanising hadn't weathered is what man from Tectyl said, so for this one I am waiting a few months. Cheers Pete

Macks forever
28-10-2011, 11:18 AM
I have a slight problem with mild surface rust appearing on the box section dual axles of my trailer. 3 years old.
I was thinking:
1. Sand back, spray/coat with zinc gal paint.
or
2. Spray with zinc gal paint straight over.
or
3. Spray with Tectyl.

I have used all these at different times in the past and all with some success. Does anyone recommend/have a preference for any of these? other options? Maybe spray with zinc gal and when well dry coat with Tectyl?

BigE
29-10-2011, 09:04 AM
Tectyl is very good and works well, the application is a pain and if you have pets (dogs) some will lick the Tectyl and you will get a fair size vet bill or a new dog. I use a pump up garden sprayer and lineseed oil it creeps well and will not allow rust to start if you do have some minor rust it will slow it it up heaps. My last trailer was 15yrs old ( redco sportsman) and was in very good condition when i sold the rig. My new redco got the lineseed treatment straight up. I allways wash down with fresh water and reapply the lineseed once a year ( less than 10 bucks and about 10mins work)

Big E

Good_as_Gold
29-03-2012, 05:27 PM
I filled some pvc water pipe with tectile drilled some holes in it then connected up to air gun. Pulled trigger too much pressure now garage walls shelves roof is covered in tectile. ( note next time regulate air pressure)

TheRealAndy
29-03-2012, 06:18 PM
I bought my boat second hand, trailer was in real good nick. I covered it in tectyl and still good as gold 5 years on. Trailer is about 10 year old now. One thing I do, is wash the trailer down everytime it goes in the salt. I drive the boat on, so the trailer goes right in. Trailer is made by RM Trailers. Its due to be recoated in tectyl, infact bought a 4l tin the other day for that job.

VMR has a boat the same size, I think on a dunbier but dont quote me. The boat is about 5 year old also, brought new. The trailer is stuffed and has been half rebuilt once. The difference? Boat comes out of water onto trailer (also driven on) and trailer never gets washed down. It also has no protective coating. My boat gets used about as often as the small VMR boat, and if you exlude the last 6 months, probably more frequently to be honest.

So the best thing you can do is wash down the trailer. Next best thing I reckon is tectyl.

Dicktracey
29-03-2012, 06:27 PM
Bigfella have you guys identified what the issue is ?>
I have a new dunbier trailer with all the ubolts and pivots coated in Lanotech, nothing inside box section Cant see what the reaction would be to cause this ?
any heads up appreciated

scuttlebutt
29-03-2012, 06:57 PM
I've been spraying my trailers with Lanox for the last 4 years. Great stuff, no problems with corrosion at all.

thelump
30-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Just re did mine with tectyl. Sticky crap but seems to work. I reckon you need to do 2 x coats. Did 1 x coat last time and it seemed to disappear pretty quick so 2 x coats this time. Unfortunately my trailer is a piece of crap and I am just fending off the inevitable, only 4 yrs old too. Apparently you cant polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter. I now have a glittery turd!

Jarrah Jack
30-03-2012, 08:12 AM
What make is it Lumpy?

thelump
30-03-2012, 09:10 AM
Brooker........

fat-buoy
30-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Just re did mine with tectyl. Sticky crap but seems to work. I reckon you need to do 2 x coats. Did 1 x coat last time and it seemed to disappear pretty quick so 2 x coats this time. Unfortunately my trailer is a piece of crap and I am just fending off the inevitable, only 4 yrs old too. Apparently you cant polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter. I now have a glittery turd!
hahaha that is gold... My Stressco trailer was the same.. it was only around the 5 year old mark and you would swear it was twice that age.. even with regular washing down and stuff the gal just seemed to vapourise...

I am surprised that you guys don't use fish oil or the good ole Tuna Oil... not only do you preserve your boat trailer but you also put a berley trail in at the ramp :)

PB
30-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Do you know what would be even better, If we could get the Galvanizers to do there job properly instead of just dunking it for a second and then on to the next job. Its all about the bottom line for these guys and quicker they can get them out the more money they make. Galvanizers don't offer any sort of warranty so they don't really give a toss what happens after it leaves there factory, Even if it costs us a few hundred more to do it properly we would be much better off.

We are just about to release a new range of Galvanized trailers but we are having second thoughts due to the finish we are currently getting from the Galvanizers.

JB
30-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Interesting thread, i'm about to buy a new 4.7 m trailer for my trailcraft and i've been looking at dunbier as a safe option. I have been contemplating putting irrigation hose in the channels to connect a hose up to after each trip (easy way to flush out the inside..?? ) and i have no idea if i should cover it in anything... sounding like not covering it in tecyl or lanolin is better.. just leave it as is?? My last sea link trailer is 9 years old and never really got looked after that well.. i'd be happy if i got another 10 years out of the dunbier...

lucee81
30-03-2012, 01:03 PM
i have a 2004 four seasons trailer and fresh water wash down only. Still going strong with no rust. After reading these post i think i will stay using fresh water.
And i fully submerge trailer, brakes etc. Have replace brakes once but a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things.

bigfella23
05-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Hi Guys/
I work for Dunbier , and have had very expensive dealings with Lanolin products. It seems the lanolin allows the salt to pass through it and eat the gal from behind. Can stuff a frame in 6 mths. We only use inox now and have had great results.

stevemid
05-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Was reading this thread and thought about the after market rust inhibitors that they treat a new car with. I wonder how those products would work on salt immersed trailers?

Mister
05-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Hot dipped gal has a life of 8 years if left untreated in a salt environment, gal that is etched, boric acid, 2 pack has a life of 8 years, not worth the effort, other products don't live up to the claims either.

johncar
05-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Just use Inox... really no looking back

Scott79
05-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Johncar, are you just using the 'regular' Inox, white bottle blue (and red?) label? How much would you use for a full application? Does it take long to dry?
Scott

Jarrah Jack
05-04-2012, 11:26 PM
I'd like to see someone come along and offer an inox type bath where I could get the whole trailer dipped and have the inox saturate the internals of the frame. Pointless just doing the externals of the box section frames.

Bigfella,I've got one of your superrollers now and I'd like to see it last a long long time. I know if the're not looked after the gal doesn't last long at all.

deckie
06-04-2012, 04:37 AM
4 yrs, 7yrs 9 yrs ? I cannot believe thats the timeframes people are talking about.
Try 24yrs with virtually no rust whatsoever on a gal trailer in s/water. Rust confined to bolts/fishplates/ubolts/springs/axle. Zero on frame. Also welds on boat trailers tend to rust from the inside, box sections in goes plenty of good fishoil. If the small cheap gal fittings are periodically replaced at intervals down at the ramp, and a good f/water rinse, u shouldnt be having these issues. I expect another 10-15yrs making 30+yrs from a quality trailer. New axles and springs every 5-8yrs roughly.
There must be some sort of determining factor such as the quality of the initial gal job. Perhaps sticking to a reputable brand is good but still only as good as the galvanising anyway. Cheaper the trailer, the more cost cutting is involved in creating that competitive edge.
This thing used good old fishoil as the mainstay for 24yrs. Not the cheap supercrap auto stuff which will have about 95% less actual fishoil than the proper stuff. No idea why you;d smother a new gal job in tectyl...i use it but only spray it on the axle/springs where its messy but works. Its simply a petroleum wax and like all things need to be retouched at sensible intervals.

Have a rethink for a second...you realise that once you've launched by the time you get back the damage is done yeah ? You let it it sit for 6 hrs after a s/water bath in the sun, then dunk it again, then give it a light rinse with fresh later...and wonder why trailers rust ? Maybe give it a light rinse with a garden sprayer (with a touch of detergent) when u go park the vehicle/trailer. Takes bugger all...but then we're all too damn lazy to even take 20 secs to take the lights off our trailers these days, let alone 30secs to give it a quick rinse.

Cant believe people are starting to think a gal trailer should only last 7-8yrs. Who the hell started that idea ? A trailer manufacturer maybe ?

bobbyb
06-04-2012, 08:30 AM
i cant't believe any body still manufactures box section type trailers any more, little lone people buying them, eliminate most of the problems with a i beam type trailer like trailcraft trailers (i think) it will become the norm.......

trymyluck
06-04-2012, 08:43 AM
Do you know what would be even better, If we could get the Galvanizers to do there job properly instead of just dunking it for a second and then on to the next job. Its all about the bottom line for these guys and quicker they can get them out the more money they make. Galvanizers don't offer any sort of warranty so they don't really give a toss what happens after it leaves there factory, Even if it costs us a few hundred more to do it properly we would be much better off.

We are just about to release a new range of Galvanized trailers but we are having second thoughts due to the finish we are currently getting from the Galvanizers.

There should be a Australian Standard for galvanising, which states min thickness. Buy a thickness tester and if not satisfied send it back. Nothing stopping you from asking for a min coating thickness, might cost a bit more.

http://www.ingal.com.au/FAQ/faq20.html (http://www.ingal.com.au/FAQ/faq20.html)

Mark

deckie
06-04-2012, 08:49 AM
i cant't believe any body still manufactures box section type trailers any more, little lone people buying them, eliminate most of the problems with a i beam type trailer like trailcraft trailers (i think) it will become the norm.......
Doubt they do, dont know, the one i have is 24yo, box was only ever used for x members i think. Maybe they should be more common today....maybe I Beam type trailers are rusting out in just 7-9 yrs. Havent taken a survey. Only time can prove anything yeah ?

How long u had your trailcraft trailer to be that confident it wont corrode as bad as any other ?

Seems free plugs for trailer makers is the go in here ...wasnt going to but this old gal was made by Tracer.

Stuart
06-04-2012, 12:08 PM
We are in the age of cost cutting, quantity over quality or what ever you want to call it. It means the customer is getting less, or screwed. There is a mind set amongst many that the price must be kept low or you won’t sell the product. It’s this narrow-minded thinking that ultimately reduces quality and ultimately driving that business its knees. Good practice of offering the best quality you can will make for a better business model than the opposite. It will cost more but the investment is sound on the consumers end. The market will always support both ends of town but the quality product will always be the winner I the end.

charleville
06-04-2012, 12:48 PM
My "Special" brand trailer is over ten years old and whilst it is looking a bit ratty with a bit of surface rust here and there towards the back it is still functioning perfectly Ok.

All that I have ever done is to wash it down well after each fishing trip. I recall an Ausfisher saying once that the garden hose is a boat trailer's best friend and I took that to heart. At times, I have turned on a sprinkler under the boat for a few minutes as well as hosing inside any open box section and around the brakes and cables.

These days, instead of a fixed sprinkler, I usually run the home made contraption, referred to here, under it (Post # 26) .... http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?165337-Your-inventions.../page2

As mentioned earlier, the bolts on the fittings all rust pretty easily so I tend to give them a squirt with Inox.

To some extent, the trailer deteriorated a bit more during the drought years as I was reluctant to be too generous with the hose except around the brakes but overall, it still seems sound to me.

nigelr
06-04-2012, 01:25 PM

Anyone know who's building I beam trailers commercially, apart from Trailcraft?

bobbyb
08-04-2012, 07:42 AM
hi all, i have nothing to do with trail craft and don't even have a boat anymore, (butt working on it ) only trailer builder i could think of that builds i beam or chanel type trailers for small tinnys.
allso agree with stuart after many years of developing a/s austrailian standards to build some of the best gear in the world that will not let you down and go the distance no one wants to pay for it . you realy do get what you pay for in most cases anyway. won't be much longer and the world will start falling to peaces from all this $2 shop crapppp........