PDA

View Full Version : Evinrude Oceanpro 150

bigmack
21-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Guys - can anyone tell me of their first hand experience with this motor please;

Reliability
Fuel Consumption
Service Costs

Anything else worth noting.

Tx

No Fear
21-10-2011, 06:33 PM
All I can say, is I have one on the back of a 21 foot yalta and never had any real major problems with it in over 800 hours.
I am no mechanic but the only issue we had was with the VRO pump, so we have now disconnected it and mix our own fuel. There is an alarm (engine thinks it is not getting any oil) for about 10 seconds every time we start it but apart from that its a ripper motor, plenty of power.Is saying that, the plugs are changed every six months along with a minor service, always flushed out and well maintained. The compression in it is better than my mates optimax which is about 8 years younger I think.
Only negatives, like all 2 strokes, is it chews the fuel. Pushing about 2 tonne it burns approximately 1.3 litres per kilometre.
Providing the compression is good and it looks nice and clean, I cant imagine you would have too many issues

Lucky 1
21-10-2011, 10:55 PM
I had one on the back of a Cruisecraft Ranger(5.5m). Issues I had was a rectifier that shorted (causing a fire), and a bearing issue. I had it for 10 years, and even though I had these problems, I would consider it a pretty good motor(starts easy and very responsive with plenty of power). I never relied on the VRO pump, and also removed it, opting to add my own oil to the fuel tank. It consumed approximately 1 litre per km offshore, and probably got about 1.3km per litre in smooth water.