PDA

View Full Version : Hervey Bay holiday accommodation ideas

tropicrows
21-10-2011, 12:32 PM
I’m looking at heading up towards Hervey Bay (general area) in Jan 2012 with the boat in tow for a week’s R&R with the family. Where would be a good area to stay and base our fishing activities from? The plan would be to fish inshore & offshore and do a bit of crabbing. Having never stayed up that way before or done any fishing up there either I need your help and suggestions.

Chong
21-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Mate,
give me a call, i will help you out. Should have my number from 1770 email (phillllls)
Cheers

Argle
21-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Im guessing you are looking at Caravan park type accomodation? We usually stay at the Fraser Lodge when we go to the bay, the Happy Wanderer around the corner is another good spot.
Might be worth checking to see if they have room for the boat though, we book the same cabin every year when we go because its one of the few spots that can fit the boat. Heaps of options in the bay for fishing/cruising. We usually fish the arti and further up past Moon Point. Macks should be around too at that time of year. Check out fishntales if you havent already for the locals take on whats biting.
Bloody good spot at any time of year if you ask me!

Cheers
Scott

Black_Rat
21-10-2011, 01:50 PM
AVOID MARYBOROUGH at ALL costs ! There's a rum brewin Joy swillen madman in that town I hear !
The old man recons Woodgate was a pretty good place to stay.
Kingfisher Bay resort would be worth a visit for a couple of nights as well.

tropicrows
21-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Keep the suggestions coming,

Scott, cabin park type accomodation or holiday house would be the go and somewhere to park a 5.8 m boat.

Chong I'll look up the number and call you next week.

Damo, my partner grew up in MARYBOROUGH and now hates even driving thru there. So I don't think that will be on the list.

clevelandv8
21-10-2011, 04:31 PM
A bit like anywhere mate, my strongest advice is not to leave anything laying around, hate for my first post to sound a bit negative, but HB hasn't been good to tourists lately.

I'd pay a little more than for a cabin for the added security.

Theres plenty of places on Take a break, http://www.takeabreak.com.au/Hervey-Bay/Fraser-Coast/accomodation.htm?personNumber=2
I stayed at Alexandria once, was pretty impressed with it.
http://www.takeabreak.com.au/Hervey-Bay/Fraser-Coast/AlexanderLakesideBedBreakfast.htm

I'm back there mid december, i have property there... can't wait to chill out and bash the fish!
Mick.

Marlin_Mike
21-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Have stayed at Happy Wanderer many times, Great park, great owners, well kept clean, highly recommend it. Boat washing bay down the back, complete with fish cleaning table.

Mike

Argle
22-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Have a look at Stayz dot com there are heaps of holiday rentals up that way. We stayed in one at Urangan years ago had plenty of room for the boat and was able to bring the dog too. Havent looked at them of late because with the kids now the parks suit us better.

Woodgate/Burrum Heads are nice spots too so pleanty of options for you for sure.

Cheers

tropicrows
22-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Thanks Mike we checked out "Happy Wanderer" online and have booked a 2 bedroom villa for the end of Jan. Now that's all sorted I need to sort out where to catch a fish or two, however plenty of time for that.

Lucky_Phill
22-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Happy Wanderer is the go Bruce. Stayed there many times myself.

Walk to beach and shops.

Boat washing facilities.

Good clean facilities.
internet room.
swim spa
secure

Avoid maryborough at all costs. :) :

Let me know if you need marks or things to do on water.

Cheers phill

><> ><> ><>

clevelandv8
22-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Like anywhere though, don't leave anything lying around, HB has issues at present with people who like to borrow but not return!

jimbamb
24-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Troppy.
little tip,, make sure you have all required gear on boat also get a map for green zones etc.They are pretty strict and regular here,,
jim

Chong
24-10-2011, 03:13 PM
AVOID MARYBOROUGH at ALL costs ! There's a rum brewin Joy swillen madman in that town I hear !

Avoid maryborough at all costs.

><> ><> ><>

You Guys are funny :):):)...any way Bruce, if you want to have a go in the staits i can put you on to some spots. Did a little mission yesterday and got some good bream (blackies), best just short of 1kg. Been some very good quality whitting around as well.

Maryborough was here first, we invented HB :), locals been going on holidays there for over 100 years.
Cheers

lethal
28-10-2011, 07:37 AM
We hired a house at Urangan earlier this year out of peak season, cost us $500 for a week, house slept 7, sure was nice after a big day on the water. Check out a couple hervey bay real estate sites.
thanks Lee

Mrs Ronnie H
03-11-2011, 04:06 PM
hi
Bill and I stayed at the happy Wanderer and it was really good but while we were up there we took a drive and stopped in at the local real estate in Toogoom. Just north of Hervey bay. We rented a 3 bed, double story house on the beach there for half the price. Nice and quiet -- it just meant that we had to travel in to hervey to go fishing.

Worth a look on the net to sus out the rentals.

Ronnie

tropicrows
04-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks for all the info and tips everyone.

Chong, I will contact you for sure before our trip. See if we can arrange a little fish.

Ronnie, We will stick with the Happy Wanderer this time but will definitely check out some other places while we are up there for next time.