PDA

View Full Version : Which 2 stroke 40HP? Opinions/suggestions pls?

Screamin Semen
21-10-2011, 06:31 AM
Looking to buy a 40HP tiller to repower my tinny, anybody have any opinions/suggestions?

Prices below is what I have been quoted new fitted:

Yamaha 40hp 3 Cylinder $5000 (84kg)
Mercury 40hp LW 3 Cylinder $4150 (72kg)
Tohatsu 40hp 3 Cylinder $4000 (72kg)
Suzuki 40hp 2 Cylinder $??? (76kg)

I am leaning towards the Mercury as it is the lightest, 3 cylinder, $850 cheaper than the Yamaha and has a 5 year warranty deal. I need something that can troll so I think the 2 cylinder Suzuki is out.

I have heard the Mercury and Tohatsu are the same engines with different branding but believe the Mercury will have better resale and has a longer warranty.

Not sure but I think the Mercury also has a SS prop as standard on the 40hp...only going by the pic from Mercury website.

Cheers SS :)

lethal098
21-10-2011, 09:13 AM
I have the Yamaha 40 3 cyl on mine and its great, starts first time everytime, But all very similar.

Giveitacrack
21-10-2011, 09:19 AM
all good motors but go the yammie a proven motor with the best resale

Screamin Semen
21-10-2011, 11:00 AM
I have the Yamaha 40 3 cyl on mine and its great, starts first time everytime, But all very similar.

How much is a service on your Yamaha 40hp Lethal? I was just quoted $390 for the Mercury 1yr/100hrs :S Seems very high to me.

Tickleish
21-10-2011, 11:50 AM
I've had both those donks and i think the yammie was a little sweeter but their is absolutly nothing wrong with the Merc. I also doubt that it would come wiyh a SS prop - probably just candy for the photo.

As far as servicing goes, do it yourself and save a bundle. They are very simple and robust, I use mine on crabbin tinnies and they cop a hiding running up creeks at low tide etc. My yammie was six years old before i changed the plugs and gearbox oil and that was just because i had nothing to do one day. I sold it to the kid next door about three years ago and he's had it under water but its still goin strong.

Give a yell on here when you want to service it and i'm sure heeps of peeps will be happy to help.

lethal098
21-10-2011, 12:09 PM
I have only got 40 hours on mine now, i have only had it for 4 months, My mobile Mech quoted me about 200-250 for the 100 hour but i will prob do it myself to save some coin, Very simple things,

Screamin Semen
21-10-2011, 12:12 PM
The problem is to be eligible for the extra 2 years warranty for the Mercury it has to be serviced annually at an authorized dealer who then has to log it with the manufacturer to retain the warranty.

Tickleish
21-10-2011, 03:44 PM
If you haven't had any probs in the first three years and you use good oil and look after it chances are you won't have any probs in the next two. You've saved $900.00 bucks from serviceing yourself so if something does fail you got it covered.

Everything is cheap on them and easy to get (especiaaly the merc) so barring catostrophic failure you will still b way out in front.

Of coarse if you want total piece of mind and have got the cash then get it serviced.

Jarrah Jack
21-10-2011, 04:11 PM
I've got the Tohatsu and its proven itself to be a tough and reliable motor that I service myself with no probs. The merc is the same motor. The yami may be easier to get parts for in the distant future. I'd be tempted to save the coin and get the merc. Are you going to get an extra k if you decide to sell it in the future? I doubt it.

Nathan Tuskes
21-10-2011, 05:44 PM
ive had two yammy 40's first was a forward control, awesome motor, automaticchoke and everything just turn the key, no stuffing around with fast idlelevers and pushing keys in for choke, 130hrs faultless, the second was a barebasic tiller with hydro lift, another great motor first or second pull to startand ran great

whatscracken
21-10-2011, 06:18 PM
+ 1 for the Yammy 2 Stroke. Great engine.

TheSaint
22-10-2011, 07:04 AM
The Yamaha is great motor that is super reliable & trolls well & you wouldn't go wrong if you went that way.
I would go the Merc/Tohatsu if it was my choice because you can tune these 40hp up to 50hp & they are bullet proof. I'm into top end speed so having a motor that get you doing 65kph can work out to be alot more fishing at the end the day..

hally
22-10-2011, 01:18 PM
I've got 40hp yamaha 3 cyl it's 6 year old and about 500hrs startes first time every time wouldn't buy anything else

PinHead
22-10-2011, 03:16 PM
I have had both Yamaha 40hp and Mariner 40hp..which woud I buy again if in that market..the Mariner.

robothefisho
22-10-2011, 03:37 PM
The Yamaha is by far the smoothest and nicest engine. The Tohatsu/Merc is a fair bit rougher but probably more tolerant of abuse.

Screamin Semen
22-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Would there really be that much of a difference between the Mercury and the Yamaha? I know the Yamaha's are premium motors but it is nearly 20% more expensive...is it really worth it? :S

Cheers SS

robothefisho
22-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Not really. On a fishing boat I'd rather have the yamaha if I wasn't paying for it. If I was paying for it I'd stick with the Tohatsu/Mercury. Or if I was racing I'd stick with the Tohatsu/Mercury as you can rebuild them. Yamaha you can't economically.

Skusto
23-10-2011, 11:21 AM
hi have the 40lw mer just got impeller changed at 4 years old before that just greased tough motor i did not worry about warranty as you dont need it . id go the cheapest the 40hp tohatsu at 4 k great value.

bevan

Screamin Semen
23-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Cheers for the info...Does anybody know where the gear lever is located on the Mercury 40hp 2 strokes? I can not seem to find info on it anywhere! :-?

Jarrah Jack
23-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Here's the motor
http://site.nissantohatsupartsstore.com/PartsCatalogNS40D21998.pdf

spelchek
23-10-2011, 08:32 PM
How much is a service on your Yamaha 40hp Lethal? I was just quoted $390 for the Mercury 1yr/100hrs :S Seems very high to me.

Mate that seems excessive. I get a yearly dealer service on my 40hp 4strk yammie and it comes in under $300.

Screamin Semen
23-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Mate that seems excessive. I get a yearly dealer service on my 40hp 4strk yammie and it comes in under $300.

Yer it does...I rang 2 other Mercury dealers and the price went up to $450 :S

spelchek
23-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Holy crap.

hellfish
23-10-2011, 10:03 PM
How many yamaha dealers have you got a price from? When i bought my new motor recently the price difference between dealers was rediculous. Also compare the yammy tiller to the merc. Well there aint much to compare, the yammys is brilliant, the mercs is puss.

Screamin Semen
24-10-2011, 02:03 PM
How many yamaha dealers have you got a price from? When i bought my new motor recently the price difference between dealers was rediculous. Also compare the yammy tiller to the merc. Well there aint much to compare, the yammys is brilliant, the mercs is puss.

Can you elaborate on why they are "puss"?

Cheers SS

Screamin Semen
24-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Can you elaborate on why they are "puss"?

Cheers SS

Well?......

Tailortaker
24-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Well I hope that they aren't puss because I've got a new 50hp merc on its way..
Cheers, TT

hellfish
24-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Length is the biggest factor. The yammys is much longer which gives more leverage and allows you to sit further foward and not have your arm twisted around behind you and gives you much better control, especialy when the going gets rough or at high speed. The gear shift lever on the merc is on the side of the motor case, the yammys is right next to the throttle grip. If your after electric start, trim/tilt then te yammy has the ignition key, the kill switch, and the trim/tilt switch on the tiller. the mercs are on the motor case. All these differences meke opperating a tiller steer outboard a pain in the neck(literaly) or a plesurable day on the water.

Screamin Semen
27-10-2011, 03:24 AM
Cheers for all the input guys...I ended up ordering the Yamaha 40hp 3 Cylinder. The boys at Marine Tune looked after me yet again with a good price along with a $200 Fuel voucher :)

hooknpull
27-10-2011, 07:31 AM
go the yammi! best engine by far. im sure you can find it cheaper than $5000...

Screamin Semen
29-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Picked up the new engine yesterday and wow am I impressed. The tiller is sensational with the gear controls right next to the throttle along with the throttle friction and steering friction control very close by....I also love the length of this tiller, it is very well made. The engine is also alot easier to lift with the Hydro-Lift system. You can certainly see why it costs a little more $. I will be taking it for a run this week and can not wait! :P

I also found alot of conflicting information on the fuel/oil mix ratio but in the end found out that it is definitely 50:1 after run in....dealer and manual both stated this.

hellfish
29-10-2011, 09:49 PM
Good to hear you are happy with the yammy. Forgot about the stearing friction lever. Pretty sure no othe manufacturer gives ya that on a 2-stroke.

marty+jojo
30-10-2011, 06:19 AM
Picked up the new engine yesterday and wow am I impressed. The tiller is sensational with the gear controls right next to the throttle along with the throttle friction and steering friction control very close by....I also love the length of this tiller, it is very well made. The engine is also alot easier to lift with the Hydro-Lift system. You can certainly see why it costs a little more $. I will be taking it for a run this week and can not wait! :P

I also found alot of conflicting information on the fuel/oil mix ratio but in the end found out that it is definitely 50:1 after run in....dealer and manual both stated this.

I have a 2003 Yamaha 40HP tiller steer, bulletproof motor. I have hundreds of hours on it with no problems. A mate of mine was a Mercury mechanic and even he agreed that the Yamaha's run smoother and are a better engine and easier to work on. 50:1 is correct and i have used Yamalube in mine since day 1. The steering friction control and the throttle control screw come in very handy on long trips across the bay, i just put the safety lanyard on sit back and loosely hold the tiller (smooth water only).
They are also good on fuel, I can go from Clontarf to Mud Island 19km each way and run around there and come back with 7-10 litres left in a 24 litre tank.
Marty.

TheSaint
30-10-2011, 04:57 PM
SS did you get any gauges with the motor??

Screamin Semen
31-10-2011, 01:19 AM
SS did you get any gauges with the motor??

Na mate, it is the tiller model. There is an LED light on the front of the motor that lights up in the event of overheating though.

Cheers SS :)