PDA

View Full Version : Bucks week Fishing Trip October 2011

wags on the water
20-10-2011, 06:05 PM
It is almost impossible to plan the weather for a fishing trip 4 months out, but the outcome wasn’t too bad. On Monday our crew consisted of myself, Murf, Timbo (Timfishin4fun), Tallo (a mate from Bundy). We arrived at Burnett Heads ramp early as the forecast wasn’t too bad and headed out to some marks provided by Marvin (Thanks Kev) – I had a generic mark for the area. On the way out we spotted some birds working and after some effort boated a 5kilo mactuna for bait. Out at our first mark, we drifted the areas for small bites – then what we thought was the fish of the day…turned out to be a 6-7foot Hammerhead. Off to our next spot (thanks Kev) we had started pulling some fish aboard, not a lot often, but good fish every now and then. We caught up with a crew we met at the ramp and their report of slow fishing confirmed our slow bite as well. After a couple of phone calls from concerned parties on land had us head for home as there were storms south of us heading northward. The wind and swell had picked up as we neared the coast, but we still had time available to troll the spoil grounds for macs.

We headed up to JT’s area on Tuesday ready for 3 days fishing from Wednesday. Up early Wednesday morning and started heading out to the wider grounds only to be met with a crappy wind and swell due to storm activity North of our location. We stopped halfway to our destination as the conditions had deteriorated and decided to alter plans for the day. A quick fish where we were then head to the islands for some Spanish Mac trolling. On our first drop, first drift, Tim and Murf were onto good fish and we thought this was the spot…..but fishing after that was just bait soaking….

The next few hours were spent trolling for Spanos around Barren Is and squidding with some good squid going into the ice and the smaller models in the live well for afternoon hot bite session. We met back up with JT, Bill and Splitty only to see these guys holding up a legal red, then having the hide to ask us for a live squid – because they run out….. Now getting this live squid to the other boat was a feat in itself – something to be seen to be believed. Anyway, after some time the wind died off enough for us to venture out wide for the afternoon hot bite. We picked up (just) undersized reds, trout, cod, hussar, and 1 very unlucky tuskie as it should have been in bed. Tim must have dropped the bait on its’ nose. 7.30pm we decided in the it was time to head back in and as we had done time and time again, drove off the spot to float our anchor – well this time it was different as our anchor didn’t float – I’d run over the rope and left the anchor holding the bottom. Our run back home was good except the Smart Craft fuel gauge was not playing the game. I knew we had fuel left in the tank, but the gauge was showing bugger all in it. Tense moments with 15kms left to go and showing gauge showing 10l left. Fuel used gauge, however, was on the money with 50l still unaccounted for.
2nd day off Yeppoon, saw us (Tim, myself and Bill) head back to the ground holding my anchor. We, or more to the point…I had a great day – now I know this may be hard for most of you to realize – I caught most of the fish. Grassy Sweetlip, Hussar and Venus Tuskfish was the order of the day.
3rd and last day had us heading northward in search of Spanish macs. We found some ground holding bait and started xraps around. We ended up with 3 solid Spanos after 4 hookups and several more strikes. We chased some squid on the return home with some nice specimens in the box with me getting a face full (and boat full) of ink – once again operator error. Whales were everywhere we ventured in the two locations – Bundy and Yeppoon.
Thanks to JT, Bill, Splitty, Tim, Murf, Tallo and the boys from Bundy making it a memorable trip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDpTyR9a3BU

Cheers,
Wags

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/misc/pencil.png

Black_Rat
20-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Sweet what a way to spend ya time before the ball and chain gets attached ! :P;D

Great stuff, good luck with the wedding ! My your rod bend often on your .............:-X ;D;D;D

rosco1974
20-10-2011, 09:36 PM
onya wags.a good trip ,when you get back to brissy will take u for a trip in the cat,bring timfishin4fun as well be good to catch up

thelump
21-10-2011, 05:48 AM
Great vid Wags and the best way to spend your bucks mate.Well done

Greg P
21-10-2011, 06:42 AM
Nice report and some good fishing BUT where are the strippers :P8-)8-)8-)

wags on the water
21-10-2011, 06:57 AM
Nice report and some good fishing BUT where are the strippers :P8-)8-)8-)

Greg, G rated website.....;)

Timfishin4fun
21-10-2011, 06:11 PM
What a great trip. Great weather considering the forecast to start with, some good fish caught and great company to spend the week with.

There was a lot of things achieved on this trip, golfing bucks day with the boys in Bundy, and they let the buck have it too, no love lost there for Wags moving down too the big city.

We had a few dramas, fuel issues at night with no anchor since the captain decided to lighten the load 60km out. Storms were racing us to the ramp at 9pm at night again from 60km out and a silly fisho playing silly buggers with a nice spano and releasing before the catch. And the biggest squid caught by me INKING Wags, that brought a smile to some of our faces.

The hospitaility was awesome, made us feel right at home in there humble abode, can't wait to do it all again or even repay the favour.

And do believe Wags out fished us on one day by a big margin, if he could leave that go pro alone he might catch more fish but then you would not be watchin me catch them.

Thanks again for the adventure.

Timbo

cuzzamundi
22-10-2011, 12:43 AM
No better way to spend a buck's week!

Good luck with the wedding, mate. May the force be with you!

Cuzza

jtpython
25-10-2011, 07:19 AM
Sweet now for my turn of the out lying week of the boys beening at home. The only day i could get out and what happens it blows it's bum off and all we get was 1 Red and a slatey(that we feed to Wags on the wednesday night anyways ) . My wife was in melbourne for the week so i was babysitting and reduced to babysitting all the kids and wags tim and murf which is as much the same as having a bunch of babies in a day care room . Well Tim and Murf were fine but the biggest baby Wags well thats another ?
But the boys were great weather played a few times for them and they spent couple days out doing a wide range of different fishing Squid Reef fish and Spano's.
Great to have Tim on this trip i learnt alot off him he is a very knowledgable man and Murf well Murf is Murf and i learnt how to Whinge more with Wags so all and all had a great time with the boys and hope the wedding goes well Wags Congrates
I didn t get to many pics
JT

wags on the water
26-10-2011, 12:31 AM
Thanks JT. Although I'm not to sure why I'm thanking you with all the cr*p I've had to put up with...:-?:-? You'll learn a lot from me too mate.;)
Tim brought his "A" game when it came to cleaning up after the trip with his knowledge on cutting and polishing gelcoat and showing me the products to remove all the rust stains with minimal effort. Thanks Tim.
The wedding preparation is almost done and the boat is now polished Murf. The broken bits have been fixed and the weather might stay good enough for a memorable day.

Cheers,
Wags

tropicrows
26-10-2011, 07:57 AM
Good report Wags, enjoyed the vid. Not long now before the big day, all the best you you and Paula.

wags on the water
26-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Thanks Bruce - 3 days and counting.

Vitamin Sea
27-10-2011, 07:17 AM
Good report Wags, great vid to.

All the best for the wedding.

Cheers

Bill

murf
27-10-2011, 08:14 AM
well I have almost landed after an 18 day trip up North, my head is still spinning and I am looking for my land legs. Thanks Wags for the opportunity to experience some new areas and meet some top people it was great :) also thanks again to JT for his hospitality and Timbo for all the information and hard work you put in

this is a first for me
http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo64/murfgq/BundyYeppoonSwainsOct2011445Large.jpg

some of the Islands out off Yeppoon that we trolled around
http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo64/murfgq/BundyYeppoonSwainsOct2011002Large.jpg
http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo64/murfgq/BundyYeppoonSwainsOct2011006Large.jpg

JT always has a sly grin on his face???? like the cat that got the canary :)
http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo64/murfgq/JTgrin.jpg

and he is not scared of giving it some stick
http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo64/murfgq/JTbentup.jpg

cheers Murf

murf
27-10-2011, 08:21 AM
the cod I caught when Tim and I had a double hook up on a small patch, stupid me had a double paternosta rig still on from a previous trip and the second hook got busted off, I guess I was lucky to get one fish in :)
http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo64/murfgq/BundyYeppoonSwainsOct2011459Large.jpg
some how I ended up with that pic in front of JT's boat not Wag's boat????? :P

now where is that PR bobbin to start practicing

cheers Murf

XtremeBoony
27-10-2011, 10:12 AM
great report fella's and a good video to go with it ;D Looked like murf was going to pop a sholder out on that cod or at the very least pull up a set of lips with the effort he was putting in ;D

cheers from boony

p.s seemed to be alot of operator error on this trip :o and can you hear the excuses coming from ol' JT...."the missus was away", "the weather blew up" a good operator doesn't blame the tools ::);D::)

cheers from boony

Timfishin4fun
27-10-2011, 12:03 PM
p.s seemed to be alot of operator error on this trip :o and can you hear the excuses coming from ol' JT...."the missus was away", "the weather blew up" a good operator doesn't blame the tools ::);D::)

cheers from boony

Boony I told them that too, but they assured me it was the only way to operate.

Timbo

Timfishin4fun
27-10-2011, 12:05 PM
JT I probalby learn't more off you than the little bit of bullcrap I filled you in with.

I am no legend in my own underpants, but by the way thanks for washing mine for me like a good girl does.

Timbo

jtpython
27-10-2011, 06:22 PM
Don't ell everyone i done ya dirty undies
I caught murf wearing therm on his head
JT

murf
27-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Don't ell everyone i done ya dirty undies
I caught murf wearing therm on his head
JT

twice, because they got all wet

from the rain over night

cheers Murf

wags on the water
27-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Definately a trip worth doing again - although it may be a fair way off. 2 days to go before the big day and I dare say my fishing week long trips may be over unless I can do some fast talking.

Cheers,
Wags

jtpython
28-10-2011, 07:31 AM
Hahqhahahaha no it'll mean more fishing trips . hope weather plays the game wind looks the goods

gofishin
28-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Hi Wags,
Better sell the boat mate, no more fishing time now...;D

What Vid device is that & how do you find it? Works very well!

wags on the water
29-10-2011, 12:22 AM
Hi Wags,
Better sell the boat mate, no more fishing time now...;D

What Vid device is that & how do you find it? Works very well!

I'm very lucky that my partner likes going out in the boat almost as much as me. The vid is a gopro and it's even better now that I've worked out the best way of editting the videos.

Cheers,
Wags

gofishin
29-10-2011, 06:21 AM
Cheers mate. What editing software do you use? Also, do you bother about the waterproof case, and when it is in it, is it easy to know if the camera is on/off etc.