PDA

View Full Version : Mainland to Tangalooma / Moreton

LittleSkipper
20-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Just wondering who have travelled across to Moreton/Tangalooma in their powerboat and how long it took them and approximate fuel consumption? And any pitfalls to be aware of?

fishfeeder
20-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Your fuel usage will depend on your boat and conditions as you could go over in a 12 foot tinny with a 6hp motor if the conditions were flat and you had 1/2 day to get there. But the problem is the weather can change pretty quick and its like 50km across from the port of Brisbane so that's a 100km trip then add 1/3 extra fuel for safety.
If you fish Peel Island or Harries Art or even Mud Island already then there is really no problems with going to Moreton its just further to travel so just pick your days.

Cheers
Brett

PADDLES
20-10-2011, 01:05 PM
what boat/motor do you have littleskipper, and where are you proposing to leave from? like brett has said above, the bay can turn very quickly and if you've got to run 30+km home it can be very uncomfortable physically and mentally. may i suggest putting in somewhere like scarborough for you first trip over, it's one of the closest harbours to moreton island and this will buy you some time if required. if you are an experienced skipper with a big enough boat then you'll be fine, if not, maybe try and team up with someone for your first run over if it'll make you more at ease.

Micadogs
20-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Hi, I travel from Manly to Tangalooma in a 5.5 metre fibreglass with a 115HP 4 stroke and it takes approx 45-55mins and use approx 17 litres of fuel. If you are hugging the shore line, then near the sandhills there is a GO SLOW zone for dugongs and turtles. Approx 3/4 of the way up there is a hidden sand peninsula that doesn't show unless on a very low tide. If you are in a smaller boat, be very aware of the weather. Anything over 15 knots with the tide against it creates very dangerous conditions out there.

Regards Adam

IcyDuck
20-10-2011, 01:31 PM
Scarborough to Tangalooma is definitely the shortest - about 26kms. We do it often with the kids in a 5.4m glass boat with 115hp 4 stroke. Travelling time is between 30 and 45 mins depending upon conditions. Use between 15 and 20 litres of fuel each way with 4 POB and clears up, depending upon conditions and how hard we push. Conditions can change quickly so check a few weather sites before doing the trip. Can look perfect at Tangalooma but be very different once you get back out in the middle, so don't leave it long if you see any weather moving in. We don't go if the forecast is showing above 15knots. SE for the way over and NE on the way back is normally best but can depend upon tide and swell.

Regards,
Phil

lucee81
20-10-2011, 02:21 PM
So for all the people that travel to tangalooma or really know the area how far is it from the Bris river - Whyte island boat ramp? Google earth says approx 24km but that doesnt seem right according to these replies.

Lucas

Marlin_Mike
20-10-2011, 03:15 PM
So for all the people that travel to tangalooma or really know the area how far is it from the Bris river - Whyte island boat ramp? Google earth says approx 24km but that doesnt seem right according to these replies.

Lucas

My Google Earth says about 31/32Km Whyte Island to Tangas give or take a tad.

jimbosplumbing
20-10-2011, 06:27 PM
G day mate i used to do it in my 4.2 tinny woth a 40 on it. in good conditions would normally take 40 ish from Scarborough. Had a pretty nasty trip back one day in 20-25 kn took close to 1- 1/2 hrs. i will never be that stupid again.

lucee81
21-10-2011, 06:50 AM
My Google Earth says about 31/32Km Whyte Island to Tangas give or take a tad.

yeah i was getting 24-28km so not much difference really as it is google earth and im using the ruler.
I will measure it with the gps next time i head out.

fishfeeder
21-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Don't forget to add about 10km to the trip so you can chase the Tuna and Mackies on the way over.

Cheers
Brett

timddo
21-10-2011, 10:23 AM
My Iphone navionics say 33 km but thats a straight line distance. I would add say another 5-6 km on that , which gives you 40 km.

My usually trip goes from whyte island to the measurement mile to straight to tanga for a swim and a fish.

Would average around 40 litres for the trip up and back or so

lucee81
21-10-2011, 10:37 AM
everytime i head out there, i always end up burning fuel for a lot less than i score in the river, if all goes well will be heading across for The M&G next month and will give it another go i then reckon.
Also will actually pay attention to the GPS all this money spent on electronics and i never use them to their full extent.

Timddo, i assuming that the navionics is more detalied than what i can do on google earth.
i have the navionics card for the Lowrance will use that a measure stick next time as i did not have it when i last went over..

thanks all

lucas

wirlybird
21-10-2011, 11:14 AM
just try an avoid the east channel when you have the wind against the tide

split-shot
21-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Watch your depth if you travel from Scarbourgh, it can get very shallow in the middle of the paddock, that is why it chops up so quickly. Plan your trip for early over and back

The-easyrider
21-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Hi Little skipper, you should have no problems going over this weekend, I will most likely head over on Sunday from Scrabough if want to travle with anothe boat, just PM me,
Cheers
Aaron

MEG-A-BITE
21-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Yep, its a 26km run from Scarbough and a easy ride in good conditions,perhaps take up the offer from Aaron, if you have never done it before,also will need to know where the sand banks are.

LittleSkipper
21-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Well! What can I say? A fantastic response to such a short thread, Appreciate all the feedback from everybody with a special thanks to PADDLES, The-easyrider-Aaron,MEG-A-BITE and Icy Duck. Scarborough would be the departure point as I reside only 15-20 minutes from Scarborough-Redcliffe. My boat is a 4.8mt Polycraft Brumby Cuddy with a 70lt underfloor fuel tank with a Mercury 75hp 2 stroke. Would like to take a rain-check on the trip over this weekend The-easyrider-Aaron if you don't mind? (I work on a rotating roster) but would definately like to make the trip over one day with someone experienced and weather permitting of course. Like my Username says I'm just a "LittleSkipper" just like my little boy and not a very experienced one in open waters. Thanks again!

Regards
Wayne.

LittleSkipper
22-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Hey The-easrider Aaron

Just advising that I tried to send you a PM but your mailbox is over it's quota?

Cheers
Wayne.